Writing Samples for M.S.

<p>Hey guys. I'm applying for the Fall 2012 cycle and getting a bit of a head start. I was an English and journalism double major at UF, and I am thinking of applying to some j-school master's programs at NYU (cultural reporting and criticism), Medill, UT-Austin, and Missou. The only thing I'm unsure of is what would make for the best writing sample. I have a million op-ed and editorial clips from my college paper, some stories from an internship at the local paper (mostly boring PR-style fodder), and clips from my job now at a music magazine that are sort of irreverent and esoteric, although they are the most exemplary of my writing style. </p>

<p>I'm unsure of what j-school programs are looking for, especially CRC at NYU. I mean, do they want an excerpt from my English honors thesis as one of them since they are mix between academic criticism and journalism? Should I send a mixture of critical theory papers and articles?</p>

<p>What did you guys send for writing samples?</p>

<p>I think that you should just show them who you are as a journalist. If you are accepted into a school that is not meant for you (because you sent in clips that were not in your style) then it will not be a good fit, you should just show who you are, let your style shine!</p>

<p>Good luck :)</p>

<p>But also show what is your best work.</p>