WVU In state reciprocity vs merit money?

WVU is one of my kiddo’s top choices for schools and they have been admitted!
We recently found out that their program qualifies us for in state tuition reciprocity. However, you cannot stack their merit aid with in state reciprocity- it’s one or the other. From what I can tell- both the auto merit and in-state reciprocity would put us as a similar cost but the merit aid is slightly higher (out of state merit = 19,000; out of state difference = 17,000ish). Are there pros and cons of doing one vs the other? Any reason why going with reciprocity would be better even though it’s less?

Does one or the other have a GPA bar that has to be met for the funding to be continued? And if so…what is it?

5 Likes

Good question! I’ll have to check that!

My first thought was the same as @thumper1. Merit aid often comes with a minimum GPA that needs to be maintained for the aid to renew after year 1.

The other issue that comes to mind is that some students take more than 4 years to graduate. At least in our experience merit aid had a four year limit. Being in-state does not. However, I do not know whether “in-state reciprocity” has a 4 year limit or not.

2 Likes

Good point! And after 4 years- can someone change to in state for reciprocity if the merit reached its limit? Will need to check!

1 Like