WVU review for prospective students (and parents)

I posted this is the ongoing “colleges you crossed off the list” thread, and it was suggested that I post it here, since it’s pretty exhaustive. So here it is!

My kid is graduating there this May, so I’ve had 4-plus years of visits to provide a pretty thorough review.

We are in PA, so we were looking for cheaper alternatives, and WVU fit that bill perfectly. Kid will be graduating with one $5,500 student loan (which may get forgiven, who-hoo), and we cash-flowed the rest. There’s an auto-merit chart on their website that is just the start; there are departmental scholarships to be had and the school is phenomenal to work with, especially considering it’s a big public flagship. I can’t say enough about my kid’s department and the individual attention/service she received.

The financial aid office is called the Mountaineer Hub, and its phones are usually staffed by students (in finance? work-study? unsure). I have been impressed every single year with their dedication and attention to detail and willingness to help.

On to the campus! Two main campuses (campii) and they’re only about a mile apart as the crow flies, but the whole state is one steep holler after another and if you laid it out on a flat line, it’d be, like 15,000 miles. I might be exaggerating. A bit.

Evansdale is where the main freshman dorms are - Towers. Four buildings, each 9 stories, pretty standard concrete-block industrial 70s look. But big enough rooms (communal bathrooms), functional, and my kid had a decent first year in the Creative Arts LLC there. Made good friends. There’s a dining hall on the ground floor; she worked there and hated it; I would think that’s pretty normal also.

There are lots of other dorms elsewhere, including spiffy suites and apartment-type complexes like Oakland and Seneca, and an Honors dorm and also some more rundown ones. The rates change depending on the accommodations you choose; Towers is the base-level charge, and it was quite cheap. It is around $6300 for the year. Meal plan required for on-campus living; different levels up to unlimited.

Near Towers on Evansdale is the rec center, a beautiful newish complex, with all the expected features – no lazy river but everything else, like a big pool, climbing wall, track, workout stuff, etc. Also here is the outdoor adventure center, offering frequent day trips, weekend and spring break trips, and all the equipment you could imagine available to rent.

One of WVU’s pluses is the outdoor trips they offer. Part of that is a first-year program. It’s called Adventure WVU, a weeklong camping orientation session offered to all freshmen right before their first year. You can pick from volunteer-centric, or hiking, camping, rafting - as backcountry or as glamping as you want. It’s subsidized by the school and only costs, I think, $90 total. Great bonding experience; you can choose a trip with others in your major and that worked so well for my kid; she had made good friends before school even started.
More info here: First-Year Trips | Adventure WV | West Virginia University

Also on Evansdale or near it: engineering and agricultural sciences, the Creative Arts Center - arts/theater/music complex, where all the performances are held - the health center, with the huge Ruby Memorial Hospital, the law school, the Coliseum basketball arena and the football stadium.

Most of the rest of the academic concentrations are housed in buildings at the downtown campus. Your kid would take most Gen. Ed. classes there, even if they majored in an Evansdale-specific concentration.

The downtown campus has the Mountainlair student union, which includes bowling, pool tables, TV, ping pong, you-name-it – and where the Up All Night events are held (no-alcohol fun stuff on Friday nights; my kid is still going to those events in her senior year, so obv. they’re considered worthwhile by the students).

Transportation. OK, so WVU has the Personal Rapid Transit system, the PRT, which is the only monorail system at a college anywhere in the US.
More info here: About the PRT | PRT (Personal Rapid Transit) | West Virginia University

It’s an outgrowth of a US DOT experiment from the 1970s and it’s as dated as you can imagine. They’re basically holding it together with electrical tape and string at this point. But it is very cool, when it runs. I think the engineering department runs it, students mostly, but there is a dedicated staff.

It often breaks down, however, and professors are used to half their class not getting there on time for a test, e.g. There is also a campus bus system. My kid is not impressed with any of it; says she could not rely on the PRT or the bus to get her someplace in time (I’m not really sure whether she actually gave the bus a real chance, and I’m also not sure she was trying very hard).

So take that into consideration. She brought her car after her first year, when she moved off campus. You can get anywhere within 10 minutes, so it’s not that it’s difficult to drive to campus. But the roads weren’t built to handle 30k students and traffic can be a nightmare if you don’t know the back roads (which I only recommend if you’re adept at driving on vertical cow paths).

Parking is as difficult at WVU as it would be at any huge flagship. Off-campus students can park at the Coliseum for $1 a day (a new & controversial charge; it was free before this year). The Coliseum is on Evansdale, so that doesn’t really help unless you have a class there. You’d still have to rely on a bus or the PRT to get to downtown campus, where there is pretty much zero parking.

There is as much drinking/drugs as you want. There is also none, if that’s what you want. My kid has gone to her share of frat parties over her years there, mostly to people-watch, and always with friends she can rely on. It’s accessible. There’s plenty of rowdiness. The greek houses are near the downtown campus and there’s quite a bit of notoriety with some of their traditions and events. I honestly don’t think it’s worse than any other school (and I went to UF so I do relate :slight_smile: )

Morgantown itself is the county seat. The hospital is probably the biggest in the state. The state is dirt-poor, but I think Morgantown gets a lot of government money that doesn’t seem to have done anything in terms of beautifying the city. There’s a walking/biking trail along the Monongahela River that runs along the city. The Wharf District, where the Marriott is (nicest hotel in town), is quite nice. There’s some cool shops and such on High Street, which is adjacent to the downtown campus. And there is a huge big-box complex across the river, at University Town Center.

But generally speaking, much of the area is, as @scritch said, “gritty.” There is a homeless population that appears to be growing. There is a lot of downtrodden housing stock that looks like it could fall over in a stiff breeze. The roads are horrific and there are huge potholes everywhere. Much of downtown looks like it was thrown up out of someone’s urban nightmare and pasted willly-nilly onto hills. My kid, however, has grown up near the Slate Belt of PA, and the area’s look is familiar to her; it reminded her of home. If you grew up in an upscale, well-manicured suburb or bustling big city, you’d quite likely have a different reaction.

The terrain is crazy-steep. I’ve never seen such steep hills and narrow roads and I’m from the mountains in PA. My heart is in my mouth when I drive some of the roads, and my kid blew a tire a couple years back when she was forced off the road by a big truck. There’s also indifferent clearing of snow/ice, especially out of the city limits, so if your kid moves off campus, he might not get to class some days.

There are many apartment complexes off campus and they’re pretty cheap. You’ll pay $450-600 a month for your kid to live with 2 or 3 others in a decent apartment; usually electric/heat is extra but WiFi is included. By decent, I mean newer. I don’t necessarily mean “quality.”

My kid has lived in 2 of these complexes, and both had issues, but she’s generally been pleased. She’s now in her 2nd year in a 3-story townhouse with two others, really nice space + deck, in-apt. laundry, parking, each bedroom has private bath, workout equipment in a complex gym, etc etc, and she pays $500. You can pay less and live in a slumlord’s building, but I recommend sticking with the big apartment complexes; at least there’s management on site.

All that said, the area is drop-dead gorgeous. There’s Coopers Rock State Park, an interstate exit away. The newest national park, New River Gorge. A bunch of mountain biking trails nearby. Rock climbing at Seneca Rocks. There are great rivers for white-water rafting; Cheat Lake for kayaking and canoeing, a lovely botanical garden, an arboretum on campus (on the side of a steep hill, ofc). You could, without question, spend every weekend on a different outdoor adventure less than an hour or so from campus, many within 10 minutes.

The big question - what does your kid graduate with? Well, my kid is in theater tech and even with Covid ruining over a year’s worth of in-person theater, she’ll graduate with a full complement of skills and accomplishments on her resume, plus some quality networking. Will it get her to the top of her profession? That’s up to her, but WVU most definitely has prepared her. I don’t know what else we could have asked for. I have been really impressed, overall.

Oh, one thing to add that is theater-specific: We toured several colleges with my kid when she was in high school, specifically to check out their theater programs. Many had, like, “a” black-box theater. Or “a” performance space. Or “a” shop. WVU has four theaters, five separate shops and I think it has the only puppetry major in the US.

8 Likes

Good read. Good luck to her - interesting how robust their program sounds.

Ps - by your name I assume you have someone at UF ??

1 Like

No, I went there. My oldest kid couldn’t have gotten in with her stats; my current HS senior could, but he’s not interested. :woman_shrugging:

They’ll forge their own path - my kids have!!

I like your honesty about the school. Really interesting that they have a monorail!!

I’ve ridden it and while it ain’t no Disney monorail, it’s quite fun. I wish the feds or the state would really invest in it. Once the experiment ended, so did the federal funding. The school has kept it up kind of as a working/in-house co-op for the engineering department but if they had some support they could extend it beyond the campus and it’d be a great attraction for visitors. Sigh. My kid and I have talked about it often; we think it’s such a wasted opportunity. I mean, they have the infrastructure already built (but in disrepair) - what other city does?

1 Like

I was thinking there could be a career bridge to Disney when you mentioned it.

Airports have them too. Las Vegas too although I believe it went bankrupt.

Good luck to your daughter - if she’s a hustler, hopefully she’ll do great.

1 Like

Thanks so much for posting this! WVU is by far the top choice at this point for my two younger DS’s - '24 and '25. I can completely see every ‘challenge’ you listed after visiting - from the potholes and crazy steep little backroads, to the ‘slumlords’ and homeless… also I totally get all the awesome things - great academic departments, so many recreation options close by, beautiful countryside… it’s a shame the campus isn’t easier to navigate, but then I guess every school has its drawbacks.

I do have a specific question - if you are living on Evansdale, and say, have a 10am class on the Downtown campus, HOW do you actually get there? Get up super early and take the PRT, allowing plenty of time for it to break down… same thing except with a bus… or try and grab a ride with someone? Or do the kids actually walk between campuses? I’m having a hard time seeing how this will actually work on a day-to-day basis.

I’m sure I’ll have more questions for you!
thanks!

1 Like

It depends where you live but yeah, you start early. If you live in Towers, there’s a PRT stop right there. And there is a PRT app so you can check if it’s running or broken. The campus buses also stop at Towers. If you lived at Towers, you would have a walk of … I dunno, half hour? 45 minutes? depending on where your class was. It would be up and down steep hills, of course. My kid had early morning classes and did manage to pass them all, lol, so I presume she figured it out.

Catching a ride with someone to the downtown campus is usually not an option. There’s just nobody making a habit of driving downtown to try to park there.

All this is to say, if your kid’s major is something that’ll be downtown-centric, choose a dorm there, and not Towers. And after the first year, when the kids almost all move off-campus, they tend to figure it out by themselves. One thing I should’ve mentioned, all the big apartment complexes have free shuttle buses to campus. I’m not sure how reliable they are; my kid doesn’t rely on them. But they theoretically exist.

I’ve texted her to see whether there is more to making it to class than I’ve written here; I’ll update my reply if she has any insider tips :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Google Maps says that it is 1.4 miles between the WVU bookstore (downtown) and Bennett Tower (Evansdale) and estimates 32 minutes to walk (obviously can vary depending on how fast you walk).

1 Like

I don’t think the medical facilities get enough attention. There’s a large trauma/teaching hospital on-campus. WVU is basically taking over the entire healthcare system of WV. If you’re interested in anything medical it’s not a bad place to consider.

Some other pros are the number of government facilities and tech companies close by in Clarksburg. You’re also seeing some VC in the Morgantown area. Cheap land and a university nearby.

Rabid football fans, cheap tuition and some great outdoor opportunities nearby are some additional selling points.

As for gritty perhaps but not unsafe. Some of the schools we visited in Philly, NYC and Chicago were grittier?

2 Likes

Yeah, I had been visiting campus several times for a couple of years but then we had to go to Ruby so my kid could get a covid test and that was the first time I’d been there and I was blown away. We have nothing like that where I live; heck, I’d guess MOST people don’t.

Interesting to hear about VC! It makes a lot of sense. Motown is also not that far from DC, relatively speaking, if you need to deal with government types.

And I agree with you on gritty but not unsafe. My kid feels the same way. She only travels with friends if she’s out at night, and has never been accosted - or worse - in any way. She tries to say hi to the homeless population etc; she feels bad about the situation, but not threatened.

1 Like

I will say that those of my friends who have kids there absolutely love it.

1 Like

Got texts back from my daughter. Here ya go!

D19: i had an 8:15a spring semester freshman year - i would say leaving at 7:30 will guarantee you getting there
the PRT will be fairly reliable
and when it isn’t, the bus will get you there within 30-40 minutes
the PRT only sucks when it runs late

(my response): I was thinking it broke down many times a week

D19: it depends - if you’re riding it at rush hour, which is any time a class lets out downtown, it can be tricky
so typically, the 10:30 rush sucks, the 11:15 can be rough, and lunchtime is rough
but it’s honestly not that bad

2 Likes

I went to summer music camp at WVU and stayed in Towers, when the PRT was brand spankin’ new. There’s definitely something particularly endearing about it!! It’s too bad it hasn’t been kept up and/or updated. Lots of good memories from that campus, and the camp friends who went there for college all had good experiences. (And yes, we’re all old now, lol.)

1 Like

Lover her responses! Basically it can be a pain in the neck, but nothing that she can’t handle :slight_smile: I love that attitude - life isn’t perfect - deal with it and make the best of it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Does anyone know whether WVU still offers full tuition scholarships to National Merit Finalists? People include it on their lists of colleges that do, but I can’t seem to find note of it on the college’s website.

I hope it’s okay to ask this here.

https://financialaid.wvu.edu/home/scholarships/freshmen/non-residents#facts

If you scroll way down or search for University Merit Scholarship, yes, it’s there (note that it requires a separate application):

University Merit Scholarship

Value of Scholarship

This scholarship is valued at university tuition for four undergraduate years or a bachelor’s degree - whichever comes first, plus a one-time $3,500 stipend for study abroad or academic enhancement.

How to Apply & Deadlines

Take the PSAT/NMSQT test as a junior in high school and be named a National Merit or Achievement Semi-Finalist by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation. To receive the scholarship at WVU, finalists must select WVU as their first choice.

Eligibility

Minimum high school GPA of 3.50. Awarded to students named National Merit or Achievement.

3 Likes

@Gatormama, thank you so much! I missed that entirely. We will tour soon. I appreciate your help.

1 Like

Can’t wait to read your reactions. Hope you are hitting one of the Discover WVU days - they are jam-packed and really well done.

Best of luck to you (I note your kid has merit at Pitt, and my S23 is admitted, so interesting choices ahead for them.)

@Gatormama, my guess is that WVU will come out ahead of Pitt since it looks like Pitt’s merit aid won’t be all that generous and she is applying for National Merit Finalist.

We are going on a Friday. I think it’s in conjunction with a football game which may be a turnoff for her. Fingers crossed that I’m wrong.

1 Like