Xavier University Class of 2027 Official Thread

I’m an adult non traditional undergrad student. APEX is the Adult Professional Experience Xavier if I’m not mistaken. I chose Xavier University over DePaul and Saint Peter’s University.

2 Likes

My son applied and was invited to the Community-Engaged Fellowship competition on Feb. 11th but has a conflict with the date (has a mandatory gymnastics competition to qualify for states.) He emailed the competition committee and asked if there was an alternative date or virtual option but has not heard back. We are guessing the answer is no which is a bummer because extra merit will be necessary to make Xavier work for us (currently one of the highest cost options at almost $34K.) There are some other (very competitive) scholarships he may qualify for that say “no additional application needed-all applicants considered” such as St. Ignatius Scholarship and the Miguel Pro Scholarship. Any idea when students are notified about those if they are selected? Anyone know when they notify about honors if you applied? We have not visited Xavier yet but seems to offer the vibe my son is looking for, so we are hopeful he can get additional merit or that they are generous with financial aid to get the cost closer to our budget goals.

My son was admitted into University Honors program yesterday :blush:

1 Like

Disappointing they only offer one date, but we understand they feel it’s more fair to restrict this to on-campus only. We are hoping the financial aid package will be somewhat generous to reach our budget targets, but hard to know. It’s still in the running for now :+1:

Update on the community scholar scholarship competition. My son received this email.

My apologies for the delay. Our scholarship committee has come to a decision on whether or not we will hold virtual interviews. Unfortunately, due to the nature of our interviews, they determined that we will not be able to conduct virtual interviews this year. Although we understand this to be a severe inconvenience to you, we strongly encourage you to come to our in-person interviews. Please let me know if this will affect your attendance for the competition. We hope you can make it!

Hello everyone! Our son was accepted to Xavier University. We visited back in June 2021 and we were all impressed. Right now he is leaning towards Xavier and another University. His #1 choice is Xavier BUT what is holding him back slightly is the distance. We are in MA. I do have some questions so would appreciate any feedback (positive or negative).

1. Will he be able to double major (Business and Computer Science)?

2. Is this a suitcase school? Do students stay there on the weekends?

3. What is the party scene like since there are no Fraternities/Sororities?

4. What is the largest class size?

5. What is the process for obtaining an internship in your field while attending Xavier?

6. How helpful is the career center for seniors?

7. Although he was brought up Catholic, he really is not into his faith. Is that an issue?

8. Do students head into Cincinnati to explore, attend professional games, eat out, etc?

9. Are there places to ski/snowboard within driving distance?

10. Is there an “Honors Program” for students? What is the acceptance process?

11. He wants to bring his car. Would need an honest, good, reliable mechanic as we have here in MA.

We are attending an event next weekend for Xavier University accepted students in Boston so we will have questions about that as well. Any info or something we should know would be appreciated.

TIA

My son was accepted into Xavier but it’s one of our most expensive choices so, unless there is additional merit offered, it’s not a realistic option right now. We did a virtual session but never visited in person. It checked off many boxes and seemed like a great fit based on what he researched. To help make it more affordable, he applied for a community service scholarship and he was invited to interview. But they only offered one date to interview on campus and he had an important gymnastics meet that day (that was mandatory to qualify for states) so it didn’t work out. Unfortunately, they would not allow a remote interview or an alternate date on campus.

The only question I can answer is the honors one because my son was accepted into their honors program. The deadline to apply was really early-December 1st. I think your son could apply freshman year to be considered for honors in his sophomore year but not 100% sure. Good luck!

1 Like

Hi Nidaco, Sorry I am late to this. My son is a junior at Xavier, and we live in MA. Were you able to get all your questions answered. Best of luck to your son.