Xavier (XULA) Acceptance and Merit information

Does anyone know if Xavier sends merit scholarship information with the acceptance letter? DD ACCEPTED as of 10/15/18

Phillymom5 congrats to your daughter. D21 May be PreMed so Xavier is a good consideration.

@Phillymom5 I believe my daughter was able to see her Merit Aid from XULA in BannerWeb before we actually received merit scholarship information in the mail last year. It didn’t take long (it was a few weeks after the e-mail acceptance letter was received). My daughter started out with 18K offered and was offered more from another scholarship (which would have added up to a full ride) in April, but she ended up choosing another school.

My son was accepted to Xavier 11-2-18 and offered 18k per year with acceptance email. Congrats!

@ChangeTheGame and @Pgh1mom Thank you for your input. I am hopeful that she receives some Merit. We will be traveling there this weekend for the open house. I am probably more excited than she is.

@Phillymom5 My daughter applied as a Chemistry major and she applied for a NASA MIRO SHELiB Center Research Program scholarship at XULA in late February that along with the initial 18K she was originally offered would have covered the remaining costs to XULA (she received the offer for that scholarship over the phone in mid-April but had already decided to go elsewhere). Chemistry or Chemical Engineering majors (no pre-med/pre-pharmacy students) could apply to that particular scholarship so take a look if your child is going in that direction.

@Phillymom5 Thank you for starting this thread. My D is in middle school and interested in Premed. I’ve heard such great things about XULA premed that it is on our radar even though we are many years away. Please report back from your visit. From your handle is seems like you are also in the northeast and I wonder how many students are from the northeast. Let us know your thoughts when you return from the visit. What other schools are you considering? Also, have you read Pulse of Perseverance? An interesting book about three black doctors who survived all odds to make it thanks to Xavier.

@magnetnh My daughter is sold! It was such a welcoming environment - from the administrators, students, faculty. The campus is small, but being in a large city would make her feel at home. We met students from everywhere (including Chicago, Pennsylvania, California) and they all seem to really love the school. It is like everyone supports one another to succeed.

She also applied to FAMU, CAU, Superman, NCAT, Tuskegee, Hampton, Morgan, Temple, Penn State, St Josephs. She is really leaning towards HBCU, so we are on the trek for applying to outside scholarships. She was awarded 14k from Xavier (not too shabby), but we still have room, board, and travel to consider.
I am going to purchase the book this week! Thanks for letting me know.

@Phillymom5 I laughed pretty hard on the auto correct to Superman (assuming Spelman). I have visited every one of the HBCU campuses besides Morgan in the last 18 months if you have any questions. We visited NCAT and Hampton last week and my son was impressed by both. My daughter went to a 3 week summer program (S.O.A.R) before her Senior year at Xavier, which was her #1 choice before and the only thing that made her nervous about choosing XULA in the end was that she was worried about it being small (and missing things like a football team). She loved the people, the family like atmosphere, and the city of New Orleans.

@Phillymom5 Thanks for sharing the information from your visit. It does sound like a wonderful place. It will be on our list when our time comes.

@ChangeTheGame I’m chuckling too! I just re-read it and was thinking, wait who wrote that LOL. I’m likely going to take her to visit NCAT and Hampton in the spring.