Yahoo Sports Reporting D.J. Fluker

<p>DS just texted me that Yahoo Sports is investigated and reporting: “Documents, text messages reveal impermissible benefits to five SEC players”</p>

<p>Five Southeastern Conference football stars violated NCAA rules by receiving extra benefits prior to completing their collegiate careers, a Yahoo Sports investigation has found. The benefits – which in some cases came from multiple individuals – were conveyed to University of Alabama offensive tackle D.J. Fluker, University of Tennessee quarterback Tyler Bray, Tennessee defensive end Maurice Couch, Mississippi State University defensive tackle Fletcher Cox and Mississippi State wideout Chad Bumphis.</p>

<p>Hope this has no impact on UA program.</p>

<p>This upsets me almost as much as that sorority article.</p>

<p>Yahoo sports does investigations?</p>

<p>It appears that DJ Fluker received money from a former player, Luther Davis who works for an agent. At this point there is no evidence to suggest UA knew anything about it while it was happening. That is majorly important since it would likely mean the difference between retroactive punishment such as vacated wins and USC-style sanctions which occurred because there was a coach who knew about what Reggie Bush was receiving and did nothing to stop it. </p>

<p>Class2012Mom: Although DJ Fluker likely broke the rules and compromised his amateur status by accepting improper benefits, I understand where he was coming from. There were invoices that showed what some of the payments were for, and they included things such as two months rent for his mother’s apartment and a deductible for an insurance policy in case he would become injured before being drafted. There were also emails talking about how she was going to pay that money back. Fluker was a kid who grew up in a poor area and was even homeless for some time after Hurricane Katrina. If I was in his situation and had grown up with the level of poverty that he did, I would probably take some cash if it meant helping my family keep a roof over their heads. I certainly wouldn’t feel bad about it.</p>

<p>Chardo: This is the same guy who broke the stories about USC and Miami.</p>

<p>BamaHammer.com says no need to panic yet. Although, hard to say if this is totally unbiased reporting :)</p>

<p>[Alabama</a> Football: No need to panic about D.J. Fluker Story yet](<a href=“http://bamahammer.com/2013/09/11/alabama-football-need-panic-d-j-fluker-story-just-yet/]Alabama”>Alabama Football: No need to panic about D.J. Fluker Story yet)</p>

<p>Everyone does this. And eventually everyone gets caught. This is just bad timing, though. Time to give Lightfoot Franklin a call</p>