Yale Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

@middlengland how do you rate US colleges relative to UK choices such as Cambridge and Oxford? Is your child applying to UK universities as well, or does she prefer US?

2 Likes

Hello everyone, I have decided to apply to Yale RD. I will be working on my application over winter break. Any advice on how to write an exceptional common app essay lol

I have one written and prepared but I’m definitely going to be revising it. I may even need to take a different approach.

1 Like

As someone who has her second child applying for college, I am going to relay what I was told when my first son applied (valedictorian, 35 ACT taken once, 5 on all APs, very involved with lots of volunteer hours). Also white male and not first generation student. There are literally tens of thousands of students exactly like my son and yours in this country and a large percentage of them apply to the Ivy League. To distinguish the students they need a “hook” which often involves some state, national or international recognition or award. Don’t be discouraged. This is not a referendum on your son or his qualifications. Be sure your son has a well balanced college list including a safety or two and some targets where he would be happy to attend. If he does he will have a choice at the end of this which is always a good thing!!!

5 Likes

Depends what you want. We have subject specific 3 year degrees (more for medicine etc) and you get offered a place based on your predicted A’level grades. You only ‘get in’ on results day which is the end of August (applications are made 7-10 months before) Some universities are offering Liberal Arts degrees as the US system is becoming more favourable. We have some amazing institutions here, not just Oxford and Cambridge but also Durham, Imperial, UCL, LSE, Manchester (there are more it just depends what you want to Major in).
Our application system is simple, a personal statement of who you are and your academic achievements). Some unis require extra tests-my daughter has applied for Law and has had to take an LNAT for certain universities. Seriously I have PTSD from your application system and I think I am developing a nervous twitch lol. My daughter got rejected from Oxford for law-it was too competitive and was advised to apply for English by her tutor. Oxford/Cambridge are the equivalent of the Ivies -oversubscribed and endowment rich. I love your liberal arts approach and it is the way forward I believe, the kids need some more time to discover and grow-the Uk forces you into a career at 17. I studied marine biology but was more interested in my boyfriends English degree and would read his books instead of mine! If you know what you want to study then the UK system will save you 4 years and our fees are a lot lower!
My daughter wants to come to the US, she is now debating ED2. I want her to come to the US-I’ve spent months on google maps and now I want to visit!

6 Likes

Good luck to your daughter, I hope she gets into a good US college. Just don’t limit yourself to the Ivies though. A good resource to find good colleges is https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges. You still have about 2 more weeks to apply to other colleges.

1 Like

I was wondering if your daughter was accepted, deferred, or rejected?

My daughter just
got into Brown (we are from the UK) so if you want to chat, PM me. We didn’t use any counselors, etc - just sheer determination!

2 Likes

The entitlement to a university with a 6.7% acceptance rate is baffling. This is coming from someone whose daughter’s mentor got in

12 Likes

You could probably be a bit kinder, and more understanding. Not everyone knows about the college admissions process, and are surprised to find out how it works once their oldest kid is going through it.

I have no doubt that atxmom will be able to learn from the Yale early admissions experience, and help guide her son through the rest of the process. Many here on CC would be happy to help her with that, should she need it.

4 Likes

I will not coddle her feelings because she feels her son is entitled to receive acceptance due to his profile which is similar to thousands of other students. She then proceeds to blame it on him being white instead of him not being a good fit for Yale. Does that behavior merit kindness? Teachable moments don’t require kindness.

19 Likes

Since you asked, yes I do believe teachable moments (generally) benefit from kindness. I respect that you have a different opinion.

I will now let this thread get back on track.

5 Likes

Nothing requires kindness maybe patience but even in patience, kindness isn’t a requirement. Kindness is a gift. People who are entitled have zero sense of gratitude. Her comment and subsequent response display a person not open to receiving information and demanding things that aren’t for her taking, feeding into that delusion of grandeur will produce a worse person.

6 Likes

And my question was, doesher behavior merit* kindness?

“It is hard to retrieve fools from the chains they revere.” Voltaire

Move the discussion forward please.

5 Likes

I have nothing more to comment. Someone felt the need to police my tone which I strongly reject.

Congrats to everyone who were accepted to Yale, to everyone else. Onwards and upwards!

1 Like

@anon49533691 She applied regular decision, so no decision yet.

At what time did the “awaiting midyear report” appear on your checklist. You probably do not remember exactly, but I would appreciate you giving it your best guess.

35-60 minutes before decisions were released. My best guess would be 45 minutes. Also, I still have the withdraw application and update application buttons.

1 Like

Same, it showed up very last minute, about 1/2 before decision. Deferred

1 Like

Thank you so much

1 Like