Yale Summer Program in Astrophysics (YSPA) 2022 - Apply now!

On smarterselect, are you guys still marked as"pending" or are you marked with your decisions? I got waitlisted for YSPA and am still marked as pending. Also, does anyone know what time accepted students have to commit? I would assume waitlist results would come out around then and I need to pay a deposit for another program within the next 2 weeks.

The deadline to commit to YSPA (at least for me) is April 15th

I was waitlisted and my smart select is still marked as “pending”.

thanks so much for the info you guys!! congrats to everyone who got in!

have you heard back about the waitlist yet? I know other summer programs were extremely competitive this year so idk if many would turn down their YSPA acceptance :frowning: still holding out tho!!

No, I haven’t! I looked through other college confidential threads and it looks like it usually comes out 5-7 days after the accepted students have to commit. I would assume it would come around a week from today??

Awesome thanks!!

Did anyone get off the waitlist?

I still haven’t gotten an email— I emailed them last Tuesday about updates because I had a deadline coming up for another opportunity, but they said nothing was finalized yet. Has anyone else heard back about the waitlist yet?

Thanks. Which state r u in

Tennessee

1 Like

Congrats ! Have u decided on which camp to join? Thanks!

Yeah, YSPA

1 Like

Cool!
Could u share your profile if you don’t mind. Heard admit rate for yspa this year is less than 5 percent so congrats again!!! Super awesome.

1 Like

@Rice_2022 do you mind sharing your insight after the YSPA online program until July 9th?? What are you bringing for your residential program?

1 Like

How was it?

It was a blast! The initial two weeks were spent in the virtual realm on Zoom, where we delved into programming and problem-solving exercises. We met daily to establish a solid foundation of key astrophysics concepts.

The real fun began during the following four weeks when we got to work on hands-on research activities. We operated telescopes at Yale, collected data on our assigned asteroid, and analyzed its orbit through simulations. A typical day ran like this: we had our morning lecture until noon and had programming labs in the afternoon (which usually lasted until 5 pm). The time after dinner is typically free unless you had observation sessions. These sessions would last 75 minutes and occur sometime between 9 pm to 2 am (depending on the time slot you get assigned).

Beyond the science, the program also offered a chance to explore Yale’s beautiful campus and bond with fellow students over field trips and other activities. It gave us a taste of college life.

I would HIGHLY recommend this program to anyone thinking about applying. Not only is it a great way to demonstrate your passion for physics/astronomy, but you’ll also develop valuable life skills and lifelong friendships.