Your Bama Brags...don't be shy! :)

<p>Catfan’s post in another thread has inspired this thread. (thanks Cat!).</p>

<p>I thought it would be a great idea to have a thread where Bama kids/parents can post about great opportunities, research opps, awards, overseas opps, internships, whatever that have come their way while being a Bama student. </p>

<p>It can be academic related, job related, club related…whatever! </p>

<p>No need to be shy or humble…brag away. :slight_smile: lol </p>

<p>Here’s your turn to shine!!!</p>

<p>NUMBER ONE:</p>

<p>Okay, I’ll start. My freshman daughter received a BioTrain summer internship (8 weeks, 40 hrs/wk, $12/hr) at the HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology. She’ll be a research lab intern for a company doing cancer research.</p>

<p>I think her participation in UA’s Emerging Scholars research program had a lot to do with it.</p>

<p>Here’s a quote from her acceptance letter:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Granted, that sentence may be in the letter to every student offered an internship, but there were only 21 slots and probably somewhere between one and two thousand applicants.</p>

<p>NUMBER TWO:</p>

<p>She’s also going on a 10-day tour of Italy in May with the Million Dollar Marching Band (and getting three hours of Fine Arts credit).</p>

<p>Just NMF scholarship! got my letter today. looking forward to many great opportunities at Bama.</p>

<p>^^^^Congratulations!!</p>

<p>My DD has been chosen to be the student speaker at the Bama Prospective Student Luncheons and dinners in Misourri. They are flying her to KC next Friday where she will speak on April 2nd and then she will be driving with our local recruiter and the Alabama team to St. Louis where she will speak on April 3rd. I am very lucky as I have also been asked to attend as well.
She was chosen to do this because of her planning and implementation of Run For Tuscaloosa, a 5k run held last July with its significant proceeds going to the UA Acts of Kindness fund.<br>
She was always active and involved in high school but since arriving at Alabama and joining a sorority she has just bloomed! We are so very happy to be part of the fabulous Greek system and the Alabama family :). If you are a family with a child either planning on attending UA in the fall or still on the fence post please come out and join us! If you need more information contact Amanda Sisk UA Regional Recruiter at 314-610-7493 and she will give you the details! Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Since Catfan was the inspiration of this thread, I hope she doesn’t mind that I’m copy/pasting her post from another thread… </p>

<p>DD has been invited to Phi Kappa Phi, Blue Key, and something else. She hasn’t accepted any yet, and is planning on missing the tapping ceremony to represent UA at the Model UN conference in Chicago that weekend. I was looking forward to a trip south in April for the tapping. Oh well, maybe next year.</p>

<p>On another high note…DD has been selected as a College of A and S Ambassador for 2012-13.
She is really taking advantage of all the opportunities at UA. Roll Tide</p>

<p>D1 was selected as Student Justice on the Honors College Academic Honor Council. She will also be leading one of the Honors Freshmen Connection classes in the fall. Additionally, she has matched for shadowing with an anesthesiologist through the Honors College and can continue this for the next three years. She has a few other irons getting hot in the fire as well…all while maintaining her grades for the President’s List. We are very proud of her. D2, who is a high school sophomore, has been accepted for the Early College Program and is looking forward to being on campus next weekend. Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Yay! D got word last night that she has been accepted for an internship at St Jude Childrens Research Hospital for 10 weeks this summer. She is thrilled :)</p>

<p>D will be doing research this summer at UA with the Howard Hughes Medical Institute Undergraduate Researcher (HHMI) program. D is very excited.</p>

<p>D informed us yesterday that she’s been awarded Jerry C. Pruett Memorial Endowed Scholarship. Awarded to an outstanding Freshman student in the Computer-Based Honors Program. She was SO excited and we are obviously very proud of her. She’s been enjoying her Spring and her new Honors College Ambassador duties, was recently elected to VP of the board of her religious org, and generally continues to LOVE every minute of her time at UA. I don’t know WHAT we’re going to do with her this summer … she’s going to miss it so much! We could not be more blessed! Roll Tide!</p>

<p>That’s awesome, Dad2ILD - not a lot of slouches in that group!! </p>

<p>Congrats to all on the internships, awards and research opportunities.</p>

<p>i have a question. how did your kids land these research ops/internships?</p>

<p>mine is still trying to figure out what she wants to do …</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>Often you apply during the Jan/Feb timeframe. Usually, the apps require a couple of LORs and transcripts and maybe an essay or two. </p>

<p>For REUs, there is a listing on the NSF website. For other ops, there are emails that go out from your major dept, postings on websites, etc.</p>

<p>:):):slight_smile: Happy that DS has just recieved acceptance to the UNC REU EE session. </p>

<p>Thank you m2cks for providing that info last year about the REUs. We were more prepared this year for the process. Still awaiting word from 3 others, plus a couple of internship applications. </p>

<p>Thinking an REU is a good way to spend 2nd year summer and hopefully land an internship next year; this gets both experiences, any insight from the veterans appreciated.</p>

<p>^^^Congratulations! That is awesome! So proud of him!</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Roll Tide, socal!!</p>

<p>Socal2: Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Thank you. I can’t tell you how nice and supportive Matt’s professors were about providing LOR’s. </p>

<p>RTR</p>

<p>Congrats, socal!!</p>

<p>He’ll love his REU. </p>

<p>Both of my kids did REUs and one did a VIGRE (for math students)…they learned sooo much yet also had soooo much fun. The REU people at these schools really try to “mix it up” with research during the week and fun things on weekends (BBQs, trips to the beach, hikes, bike-rides, etc). The kids will make new friends from all over the country and the networking is great. My son’s research prof will be writing one of his med school LORs.</p>