You're Invited! The CC FRIENDSGIVING and JINGLE ALL THE (do it) YOUR WAY" 5K!

An idea on the fitness thread has bloomed into a fun event to celebrate the friendship on CC, wellness of our members and love of the outside. (Thanks to @Youdon_tsay for the original thought/idea)

Everyone is invited to participate! Between November 15-30, this thread is “hosting” a FRIENDSGIVING VIRTUAL 5K. “5K” is 3.1 miles. It can be done through walking, running, walk/run, biking, rowing - whatever is your pleasure. You can do it all in one swoop in one outing - or you can walk 1/1/1.1 to get it done. You can do 10K if you like.

THIS IS NOT A COMPETITION. It is a celebration of wellness, support for others at all levels, and an opportunity to share in a common goal/activity. Bloomed from the Thanksgiving time “turkey trots” that happen in many communities.

Want to particpate? You can start preparing now! The thread may take it’s own life, but here is what we are thinking:

• complete 5k if you can, more if you like, once or more than once between November 15-30. If you don’t do it till November 30 it is as much to celebrate as one who completes November 15!
  • post something about how you completed your FRIENDSGIVING entry. Did you walk? Run? Bike? Did you do it alone or with a friend? What state? At a park? Circles around your boulevard?
  • we would LOVE if you would post a picture! It can be of the nature around you, the view out your window on your treadmill, a selfie (face blocked out), your gear/shoes that helped get the job done. You know we love pics on CC! :slight_smile:
  • As I said, this is not a competition. BUT you are required to keep the thread supportive, full of high fives - all in the spirit of FRIENDSHIP.

“We” hope many will participate! If you can only do a mile we will celebrate that. 5K is just a benchmark of sorts.

CC is a special place that we were lucky to find. Clearly many of us cannot walk away. That’s what friendship does. Glue to keep us all together!

Lace up your shoes and think about how you can join!

18 Likes

Between now and November 1, we will try and post some encouraging tip, article, cartoon or other inspiration. Keeping it light and FUN. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Edited for our FRIENDSGIVING “DO IT YOUR WAY” 5K to be between the time period November 15-30. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ll be there… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Fun idea. If there are folks that live close enough to do it together, even better. But mostly it will be fun to have a shared virtual experience.

I’ve started training as I want to try to run it – my first “race” in more than 20 years. :grimacing:

4 Likes

Love it!

2 Likes

I’ll do our little neighborhood 5k on Thanksgiving morning. It’s fun and the $10 donation benefits a family at our local elementary school.

4 Likes

I’m in! Fun idea!

2 Likes

This is a nice idea and very much keeping with “friendsgiving”. Thanks to the fitness friends who had this idea!

3 Likes

1 Like

Or even if you’re a regular exerciser! I remember having to stretch and warmup before yoga class!!

Love the 5K/run idea! Looking forward it!

2 Likes

I just found out that a neighborhood about five miles south of me is having a T’giving Turkey Trot. I might sign up for it. That would me more fun and motivating than running on my treadmill.

Today, I jogged a half-mile, ran a mile and then jogged another half-mile! That’s the longest I’ve run in 25 years.

5 Likes

Whether I can do 5k between Nov 15-30 is going to depend upon the weather in the northeast. If we have a foot of snow (unlikely) I will ski it, if we have no snow, some sun, and temperatures above 50 (reasonably likely at some point) I will bicycle it.

I did manage to do 5k twice this week however. Once by sailboat with a daughter (in the spring I found out the sailing card I filled out as a freshman more than 50 years ago is still valid at my alma mater), and once again today (with some extra) by bicycle.

It certainly is a blessing to still be able to do this.

4 Likes

That’s wonderful!

1 Like

5 Likes

I’m in. I appreciate the 15 day window. The plan is to walk, run, or hike it–and maybe even get the whole family to come along.

3 Likes

Love that idea! Solo, with a friend, the fam or a pet!

I’ll walk!
Met this caterpillar on my walk today.
IMG_9233

8 Likes

Not wrong!!!

Very mild weather this week in the midwest! A good week to head outside and walk, bike, run - beautiful colored tree views!!

4 Likes