Musicians and Parents - Introduce yourself!

I’m new to this forum as of last week. And since then have spent what seems like countless hours “catching up” on the world of college applications! Thank you so much to everyone who has spent all this time creating this incredible resource.

So … we are a bit behind. My son is a senior this year and hopes to be in music school next fall for jazz guitar and/or jazz composition. We now have just one month to get in applications to the schools with a Dec 1 deadline (of which there are a few). We are located in Colorado, and while there are a few CO schools on the list, my son thinks he would also be interested in either coast (probably a city, but maybe also a bustling small-town campus). I’m basically the one expanding the list of potential programs beyond Berklee, where my son’s close friend now studies. The friend has told my son that he loves it there and that my son will love it, too. I’m pretty sure that’s the case, but I’m not yet willing to let go of the idea of a more college-y experience for my son. I also think he needs some fall-backs and opportunities for scholarships and scholarship appeals. I hate the Berklee price tag but am pretty sure we don’t qualify for needs-based aid.

I read the “Double Degree Dilemma” essay and it was incredibly helpful in that it led me to see that my son is that 100% music kid. He is only going to school for music − it is musician or bust for him. In fact, his grades reflect this mono-focus to some extent. He has things in hand now that he’s a senior and is even excelling in spite of hating remote learning with a passion. But needless t say, no 4.0 GPA for him. It’s something he can talk easily about when asked (there is a learning disability involved as well), but it’s still on his record. His audition and interview will have to do all the work. But he feels confident about his skill level.

My son seems most interested in jazz funk/fusion. While he tells me he is interested in ultimately pursuing composition, I know that he would have to expand into a comp program later since he just does not have the material to submit for admission. So he will be applying with guitar but ideally will be surrounded by a full range of flanking programs in case his interests expand more. His secondary instruments are electric bass and drums, but he also plays keys and sings, and enjoys being able to do all of these.

Anyway, this is the list I’ve come up with after talking to him, reading here and scouring the Internet:

1st tier:
Berklee
University of Denver-Lamont School of Music
University of Northern Colorado
Oberlin
USC Thornton

2nd tier:
New School
NYU Steingart
University of North Texas
La College of Music
CalArts

The 2nd tier are iffier for various reasons. I don’t know too much about LACM or NYU yet. CalArts got on the list because I love the idea of an interdisciplinary arts school, which I think would be perfect for my son. It sounds like his group of friends. But it may be too small and is pricy to boot (where is the bang for my buck there? Compared to, say, Oberlin?). UNT is from my son’s list of “no-go” states (which also includes FL and most of the midwest. Sad, but true). Oberlin is a stretch school due to my son’s academics. But as an Obie who choose the school so I could continue studying voice while doing liberal arts, I know he would thrive and never be bored there. New School is on the iffy list since I can’t for the life of me figure out what distinguishes it from Manhattan School of Music. I just cannot get a sense of either school.

Unfortunately, we did not get a single campus visit in before the world shut down. I am so regretting now that we took it easy last fall and put off all our trips till spring 2020.

I’m so glad to have found this forum! It does, however, seem like there was a ton of activity towards the class of '24 and not nearly as much now for the class of '25 … ?