BS/MD/DO RESULTS THREAD - Fall 2022-23 CYCLE

This thread is to post the stats and feedback/reflection from students / parents to post the BS/MD Acceptance at the end of the cycle. Below is a post from a student of previous cycle to provide the sample format.
This is a very nice post from a previous year’s results thread. You can copy & paste & update with your details when you post. Thank you so much in advance to help future students / parents.

Important Note: Please post only results. If you have questions and discussion topics, please use the other thread which will have the year and BS/MD applicant in the title.

******* SAMPLE POST *****

Posting for my daughter …

GPA: 4.0 (UW), 4.75 (W) at the time of application

Class Rank: NA; Class Size 350+

ACT : 34
SAT: 1510

SAT Subject Tests:
Chemistry: 800
Math 2: 800
Bio: 800

AP’s (at time of application)

AP Calculus BC: 5;
AP Physics C-Mechanics: 5;
AP Computer Science A: 5;
AP Biology - 4;

AP Chemistry and AP Statistics (both will be taken this year);

IB – MYP certificate.

Teacher / Counselor Recs: Not seen but assume to be Very Strong, teachers knew my daughter well and mutual respect existed at both ends.

State: PA
Ethnicity: Non-Caucasian
Income: >150k
Hooks: None

Awards:

• SWENext Northrop Grumman Community Award – Winner
  • Aspirations in Computing Affiliate (Regional) Award Winner and Honorable Mention
  • Associate Scientist Award (Regional Science & Engineering Fair)
  • Junior Scientist Award (Regional Science & Engineering Fair)
  • Top 5 International Finalist at a well-known competition
  • Data Jam - Winner (twice) (also Captain)

Major ECs:

• FIRST Robotics - member; Qualified four times for World Championships in the FIRST Robotics Competition (FRC)
  • Piano - 10+ years ; Winner of competitions
  • Martial Arts - 3rd degree Black belt – 10+ years
  • Golf - High School JV and Varsity team — 4 years
  • Music technology - 3 years

Other:

• AMIE / Math League
  • Verizon App Challenge
  • Cultural Communications Alliance International Marketing Competition

Community Service:

• President of the Local Youth Chapter of a foundation focused on education (involvement > 5 years)
  • Volunteer - at an Independent Senior community &
  • Volunteer - at a Rehabilitation and Wellness Center:
  • Teaching and playing piano to patients needing memory support due to Alzheimer’s disease and dementia.

Medically related activities:

• Physician Shadowing
  • Research Assistantship at a local University
  • Research Survey at a Medical center

Mentoring/ Teaching:
Peer Tutoring: Tutor other students at school in the subjects of Chemistry and Geometry.
Robotics: Founded a FLL Team and mentored middle school kids; mentored 3 other FLL / FTC teams
Martial Arts: Volunteered to teach children

Applied to the following BS/MD Programs:

1. Northwestern HPME - interviewed - ACCEPTED
  2. PennState / Jefferson - interviewed - ACCEPTED
  3. Stony Brook Scholars for Medicine - interviewed - ACCEPTED
  4. Drexel/Drexel - interviewed - ACCEPTED
  5. Temple/ Temple - interviewed - rejected (accepted undergrad with scholarships)
  6. Hofstra - interviewed - rejected (accepted undergrad with scholarships)
  7. UPitt GAP, CaseWestern, URochester, UCinncinati - rejected pre-interview (accepted undergrad with scholarships)
  8. Rice/Baylor, Brown PLME - waitlisted undergrad; rejected BSMD
  9. BU, UConn - rejected
  10. GW - withdrew

Applied to the following undergraduates:

1. Carnegie Mellon - Computer Science - ACCEPTED

DECISION: Northwestern HPME
Scholarship: None

Reflection:

It is a Roller-Coaster ride; be prepared for a long 6 month ride!
God only knows what these admissions committee folks look into the applications;
Interview acceptance or rejections APPEAR to have NO relationship with your score or accomplishments; a “higher” rank university may invite you for an interview and you may be rejected by a “lower” ranked university!
So apply to 10-15+ programs and pray for the best.

Somethings we learned:

• About 3500-4000 students apply for BSMD programs. If you add up the BS/MD seats available across all universities, they are < 500. So, you know the odds of getting in.
  • Many universities prefer in-state students e.g. NJ, TX, CT, OH universities.
  • Universities constantly re-calibrate their yields - i.e. ratio of offers to accepted students. For example, Rice this year had over 2000 applications compared to 750 last year. But they sent offer acceptances to 199 this year compared to 233 last year. You may be on the wrong side of their yield management.
  • UPitt: Apply only if you have a FULL score on SAT or ACT ; it is a wasted effort otherwise. It has an OUT-of-state preference (one of the odd ball universities in this regard).
  • Rice/Baylor: they have 6 seats; RICE will send around 200 applications to Baylor and Baylor will invite 25. Odds for out-of-state are low.
  • UCinncinati: If out of state, put it on a very low priority; very strong in-state preference.
  • Same for UConn - if out of state, do not waste your time.
  • BU: should change its name to “Mute” university for lack of any communications.
  • Rice/Baylor and Brown PLME - I would like to call them “apply and forget” - after applying, think about them only after March 21.
  • Northwestern : HPME program officials were absent for HPME session on Admitted Student days; I believe this is not respecting time and money parents spend visiting the university; excellent HPME student interactions - kudos to them; Regular Undergrad faculty present for other sessions - good interactions with them; good vibe at the campus.
  • Penn/Jeff: The best and most well organized interview day. Kudos to the university. Great speakers; good financial aid session; excellent student interactions; good vibe at the campus.
  • Stonybrook: No parent sessions; could not form any opinion about the school/ program; student-to-student interactions with WISE students; daughter like the university.
  • Hofstra Medical: Very good and small group parent session; very informative and open to all kinds of questions; other universities should emulate them.
  • Temple : Was chaotic.
  • Drexel: was on a Saturday; limited student or faculty interaction; informative session and Q&A.

Lastly, be judicious about the time you spend on College Confidential. Spending more time here DOES NOT increase your chances of acceptance. But it can definitely increase your anxiety levels, especially as folks get interview calls. But, it remains a great source of information and support.

Thank you for a great forum and all the best to future aspirants!

7 Likes

Posting for my child:

GPA= 3.95
ACT = 35
APs total 13 APs, scored 3 in one and rest were 4s and 5s.

Teacher/counselor recs: I believe they were good.

State: West Coast
Ethnicity: Asian
Income: >250K

Awards

• Congressional Gold Award
  • Presidential Volunteer Service Award
  • National merit commended scholar
  • National honor society
  • Many music/instrumental awards

Major ECs:

• 2 research projects
  • 10+ years of music instrument
  • 5+ years of robotics
  • 4+ years youth leader with a non-profit
  • Volunteering - 500+ hours
  • Shadowing - 100+ hours
  • Member/leadership position in 3 clubs
  • CPR certified
  • Tutoring
  • Fundraising
  • child plays tennis but not at the varsity level

Applied to 15 BS/MD programs and 10 regular pre-med colleges.

• RPI/AMC - interviewed - waitlisted
  • Baylor/Baylor - interviewed - waitlisted
  • Drexel/Drexel - interviewed - accepted
  • Hofstra - interviewed - rejected
  • Brown - waitlisted
  • All other BS/MDs - rejected without interviews
  • In-state college - accepted with scholarships
  • Ivies - waitlisted

Reflection:

Our major concern going into the application cycle: the lack of knowledge of US systems (being an immigrant) and the child’s communication skills. (more about that later).

My child has many ECs and we are thankful for our friend who shared his child’s journey and we followed them. Their child got admitted to a Top 10 medical school after doing undergrad at our in-state college. We were following them in the hope my child would also get admitted to an Ivy. BS/MD was not on our radar - in fact, we scrambled to apply to the BS/MD programs. Luckily most of those ECs could be applicable to BS/MD programs.

Our position was we will try our best to get into a BS/MD program while applying to Ivies and other top schools. We would decide later depending on our acceptances. This did result in a lot of applications.

Some suggestions to all colleges -

1. follow PMM’s application style where all supplements are in the common app. It is crazy to try and keep up with emails, spam mail, and portals to keep checking if we received a supplement or not.
  2. We applied broadly and that result in the child writing nearly 100 essays. I think this is crazy by any angle. Maybe someone should tell the colleges to select 10 prompts which they all can live with and ask the students to write those. Asking a child to write nearly 100 essays on top of a demanding school schedule is just crazy.
  3. Please communicate about the process and what to expect next. TCNJ/NJMS felt like they ghosted us.
  4. And share your stats about BS/MD admissions (not just regular undergrad) on your website.

About our concerns going into the application cycle:

Our public school counselor who is new to the school gave us some perspectives on the college application process. They had limited knowledge about BS/MDs. They did their best but we still felt we need more personalized and targeted guidance.
We are very thankful to @mywish4u and @Vicky2019 for referring us to an external consultant. Thank you to @cheer2021 for pointing us to resources and everyone on the forum (e.g. @Rali_Jan , @junebug20 and others) who took their time to give guidance.
The external consultant was truly a blessing for us.
When we first spoke to him, we were very impressed by his knowledge, humility, and candor. He came across someone who really cares for his students. And he made us think about aspects that were totally unknown to us.
The positive impression only grew when we started working with him. I still remember one day I panicked and probably called him after 11 pm their time and he very calmly and professionally answered every question I had. Who does such things? Even my doctor does NOT take my call after 6 pm and refers me to the answering service. Besides, they kept us focused on our action plan and deadlines. Plus he gave direct feedback and at times we felt it was too direct but it came from a concern for my child.
The fact we got 4 interviews (despite having a B in one subject) is all due to the guidance we received from him. And they did their best to prepare my child for the interviews. They were very flexible with their time and we scheduled many ad-hoc sessions. However, my second fear about my child’s communication skills came true. We were aware of it and our consultant had warned us about it. The fact they did everything on their end is probably why we have an admit.

Suggestions for future parents:

• make sure your child invests time in writing and re-writing essays. Their first draft will be useless. We saw the difference in our essays after multiple refinements.
  • this process is crazy and full of anxiety. We were thankful to have this consultant who was there when we panicked. Ensure you have someone you trust to whom you can speak to.
  • College Confidential is a great forum. Got additional insights from the members here. I think this is a better forum than Reddit. Better organized in one thread. But spend your time here judiciously.
  • Make sure your school portal has all your child’s information. Our school counselor and teachers used only that information to write recommendation letters. They did not even ask for a resume from my child. Luckily they had communicated that at the start of the school and we had time to update the same.

Conclusion:
It was a season of waitlists for us.
While we are sad about being waitlisted at 2 and one rejection at BS/MD, my child is sadder about the Ivy waitlists. They thought they would get into atleast one, but a lot of students from our school apply to Ivies and maybe that could have been a factor.

Decision: Drexel.

11 Likes

This forum was very helpful. My C made her decision so posting for future candidates.

GPA: 4.0 (UW), at the time of application

Class Rank: NA; Class Size ~75
Top rated public STEM HS in US

ACT: N/A
SAT: 1510

SAT Subject Tests:
N/A

AP’s (at the time of application). HS does not offer many due to class size

AP Calculus BC: 5;
AP Computer Science A: 5;

AP Chemistry and AP Statistics (both will be taken this year);

Teacher / Counselor Recs: should be strong

State: NorthEast (tri-state area)
Ethnicity: Caucasian
Income: >200k

Awards:

• National Merit Finalist
  • GirlScout Gold Award (volunteering)
  • Regional Science Fair - Research project

Major ECs:

• VEX Robotics - member; Qualified for World Championships
  • President of Robotics and Coding Club
  • Lead for school-based (club) organization that teaches CS skills to middle school girls
  • USFA-rated fencer. Competitive. 10+ years
  • Founder and President of an organization to teach technology skills to elderly residents in nursing homes and assisted living facilities.

Community Service:

• GirlScout was a major volunteering EC. Focused on the Elderly population and technology skills in post-Covid lockdowns
  • Volunteer - in Science Center/Museum
  • Volunteer - religious-based organization. Mostly community focused
  • Volunteer - tutoring young kids during and post Covid remote learning.

Medically related activities:

• Physician Shadowing. Local interventional radiologist
  • Two summers working in the ophthalmologist’s office as a tech/assistant. No cert required. Major boost for the application. Lots of stories to talk about during the interview
  • 4-month internship (via school) in a Medical center/hospital. Major boost for the application. Lots of stories to talk about during the interview

1. Brown PLME (reject UG and PLME)
  2. StonyBrook (accept UG and Honors - reject BSMD pre-interview)
  3. Temple (accept UG and Honors - reject BSMD pre-interview)
  4. Drexel (accept UG and Honors - Interview offer- reject post-interview)
  5. Penn State (accept UG and Honors - reject BSMD pre-interview)
  6. University of Pittsburg (accept UG and Honors - reject BSMD pre-interview)
  7. University of Conn (accept UG and Honors - reject BSMD pre-interview)
  8. Stevens (accepted UG and Honors - Not forwarded to NJMS post-UG interview)
  9. Rutgers (accepted UG and Honors - rejected Pre-UG interview)
  10. NJIT (accepted UG and Honors - Forwarded to NJMS post-UG interview - NJMS Accepted)
  11. TCNJ (accepted UG - Forwarded to NJMS post-UG interview - NJMS Accepted)
  12. Rowan (accepted UG - Forwarded to Cooper post-UG interview - Cooper Waitlisted)
  13. George Washington (accept UG - reject BSMD pre-interview)
  14. RPI (accepted UG - Forwarded to AMC - rejected pre-interview)

1. Princeton - Waitlisted
  2. MIT - Reject
  3. Northeastern - Accepted

No other applications

DECISION: NJMS

Reflection:

It is absolutely a roller-coaster as many suggested. Very hard for the child to deal with rejections so as parents, i think we should have done a better job setting the right expectations and prep for rejections from the start and talking about the traditional path as plan B.

Comment on Stats. My C had an SAT score on the lower side ( got on 1st attempt) and we wanted to push C to get a high score. C refused and spent time on community work. Turned out to be the right call. I did not want to believe it but I think it is true, as long as your C stats meet the requirements for the program, the application is really reviewed based on EC and what else C did. So don’t chase higher SAT/ACT

Start early. My C started in Jan 2022. It is really a balance between applying wide and not having too many BSMD applications that your child will drown. Mine was very close as there are a lot of essays to write. Plus 12th-grade load, plus all the ECs. So do the research on BSMD programs and if you don’t think C will go if this will be the only program C will be accepted, don’t bother wasting the time.

My C app was not strong on research at all but did have deep community involvement. That did show in some of the school rejections like RPI. I think in general a C does not need to have both (research and community) or specifically to have research on the application, to be successful in the application cycle. Yes MD path is a STEM field but not everyone needs to focus on research. But I think every applicant should have some sort of community EC and clinical. The more the better in my view.

Thank you for a great forum and all the best to future aspirants!

4 Likes

Do you live in NJ? or NY?

1 Like

PM me.

1 Like

GPA: 4.0, 4.5 (at time of application)

Class Rank: 2/435

ACT: 32 (not submitted)

SAT: 1530

State: Missouri

Ethnicity: Black (Nigerian)

Income: >300k

AP Scores:

• Physics: 2 (not submitted)
  • Chem: 4
  • Lang: 5
  • Gov: 5
  • US History: 4
  • Calc AB: 4

LOC: Pretty close ties with a couple teachers who wrote strong letters. School college counselor wrote a strong letter as well. Letter from community service supervisor, research mentor, and physician I shadowed.

Awards:

• Collegeboard national African American Scholar
  • 3rd place in HOSA Cultural Disparities
  • State Scholars Academy
  • State Belcher Scholarship semifinalist
  • AP Scholar w Distinction
  • HOSA Babara James Service Award (123 hours)
  • National Merit Semifinalist

Major ECs:

• HOSA Chapter President
  • Assisted Living Director of Youth Volunteers
  • Girls for Medicine Director of Outreach
  • BU RISE Intern
  • Founder and President of the school GirlUp chapter
  • English tutor for Ukrainian and Chinese children

Medically related:

• Independent research
  • HEAL Clinical Symposium Presenter (42 hours)
  • Shadow Interventional Radiologist (36 hours)
  • HEAL Online Shadowing (76 hours)
  • Volunteering at Hippotherapy center for disabled children

Essays: Really focused on why I did some of my ECs (mainly my time volunteering at assisted living facility) and what I learned from them. Talked a lot about onism and wanting to go a step further for my patients. Common App personal statement was multidimensional tying in my research experience, fashion as an outlet, and overall personality growth.

Applied to 20 schools overall including 8 BS/MD:

• Brown (accepted UG, rejected PLME)
  • Dartmouth (accepted)
  • Harvard (accepted)
  • Duke (accepted)
  • Boston University (accepted)
  • Colgate (accepted)
  • Northwestern (accepted)
  • WashU (accepted)
  • Northeastern (accepted)
  • University of Notre Dame (accepted)
  • Vanderbilt (accepted)
  • The Ohio State University (accepted)

Combined Med Programs:

• Case Western PPSP (accepted)
  • Pittsburgh GAP (accepted)
  • George Washington BA/MD (accepted)
  • UMKC BA/MD (accepted)
  • RIT (accepted UG, rejected pre interview)
  • UConn (accepted UG, accidently messed up BS/MD app submission)
  • Drexel (accepted UG, rejected pre interview)
  • Rutgers (accepted UG, rejected pre interview)

DECISION: Pitt GAP

Reflections:

I give God the glory that I did not have to face any painful rejections other than PLME.

The biggest piece of advise I would give is to take the time to really understand why you partook in your ECs and medical stuff–figure out what drives you–and then convey it in your essay. I thought I would start on my application super early, like many people suggested, but I didn’t start on anything until August 1st, and I didn’t even have my Common App essay done until October (literally a week before the first Pitt deadline!). One thing I did make sure to do is make sure that personal statement as a close to a perfect representation of who I am and get it edited.

Overall, I felt like I did not have any extreme or amazing extracurriculars like some people so I really focused on honing my why and showing the build up throughout my experiences, highlighting my true passions (lacrosse, conversations, onism, human connection). My essays screamed growth that has occurred and a mindset that will continue to grow at whatever institution.

Final notes:

I would be really honored and happy if this post is helpful for someone, but I do want to note that the last time I was on CC prior to literally today was in sophomore year. I was on Reddit a bit over the past year, but I want to stress that you may not benefit as much from all the “noise” on platforms such as this. Also, I didn’t utilize any outside counselors or develop some elaborate passion project (I actual tried with the passion project but didn’t have the energy for all that, lol). Please dm me if I can be of any help to you!

6 Likes

Congratulations Pitt Gap is one of the top BS MD program.

2 Likes

FYI: I am the parent, not the applicant. Keeping it simple.

GPA/class rank: Private school, does not calculate GPA or rank or declare any special accolades like honors/valedictorian, etc. My son had strong scores and did well like most students.

ACT: 35 took only once, did not bother to try again.

SAT: Did not take it

Ethnicity: ORM

Income: Not eligible for any Aid

AP Scores: He took very few APs as the school has very strict rules around when and how many students can take AP but on the ones he took he had a 5.

LOC: Assuming it was strong. Counselor, 2 teachers, and 1 research mentor

Awards:

Jefferson Award honoree ( 2 years, sophomore, Junior)
Heavy involvement in Scioly had more than 10 medals at the state level from his high school years
Authored & published a book that was recognized by several science oranizations
National Merit Semifinalist
I am sure I am forgetting a few more …

Major ECs:

His main interests are Neuroscience, Spanish, and Music so all his activities were centered around these in a medical setting. There was no strategy to this it just worked out this way as one thing led to another during COVID. In addition, he had leadership positions at school – Scioly, student gov. He was involved in research all through his high school years, not published or anything fancy but was involved and gained a lot working with professors which really helped him deepen his interest in Neuroscience.

Colleges Applied:

My son was very clear about pursuing medicine but was also clear that there are many ways to reach the end goal and BSMD is just one of them. He wants to study music, and Spanish in addition to STEM so had a strong opinion on where he wanted to apply that will help him pursue his other interests and not just grind as a premed student.
Based on his preference and research he could only see himself attending 4 BSMD programs so, that’s what he decided to apply to in addition to traditional UG programs.

Case Western PPSP (accepted with Baker Nord scholar offer & full tuition)
Pittsburgh GAP (accepted with Honors College UG and a good merit award)
Rochester REMS (UG with scholarship, denied REMS)
Brown PLME (Accepted UG, Denied PLME)

Traditional UG Accepted: Emory (full ride), WashU, Vanderbilt, USC (some merit $$) Cornell, Georgetown (no merit $$). Waitlisted at more than 5 schools.

DECISION: CASE PPSP
It came down to Pitt GAP and CASE PPSP. After visits he felt strongly that he will be able to pursue his other interest and excel at CASE so, that’s what he choose and we wholeheartedly supported his choice.

Reflection:
Please don’t be bogged down seeing a long list of awards, and accomplishments from others and get discouraged. Each one has their own journey. Know that the end result is a combination of more than numbers and accomplishments. Each institution and program have its own priority to fill in a class and it changes every year so what worked this year may not work next year. Do your best with things in your control and don’t worry about things that you have no control over.
My son was never stressed about getting into X or Y college or program as this is not the “end all be all” in the big picture of life or career. He applied to schools that he thought were a good fit for him and is very happy and grateful for all the great choices he had. It will all work out in the end. Good luck to future applicants.

6 Likes

Thank you and Good luck in Pittsburg

School Type: Large public
State: MI
Income: Not eligible for aid

GPA: 4.228 (one B+ in AP Physics)
Class Rank: 3/500
SAT: 1550
APs: Chem, Bio, Physics Mechanics all 5, 4s in other randoms

Essays: Decent
LORs: Decent, assumed to be nothing special

ECs:
Community Youth Group; President (3+ years, >200 hours)
Hospital Volunteer (2 years, ~100 hours)
National Honors Society; VP; 1 yr
Science NHS; VP 1 year
Varsity Swim Team; 4 yrs
HOSA; 4 yrs no awards
Science Olympiad; 4 yrs no awards
Shadowing; one summer, minimal
Research; extremely minimal, barely talked about it
Fast food job; (2 yr)

Awards: None outstanding, generic AP Scholar and National Merit only

Baylor - Rejected
Brown - ACCEPTED PLME
Case - Rejected
NJIT - Interviewed - ACCEPTED
Penn State - Interviewed - ACCEPTED
UMKC - Rejected
UPitt - Rejected
Rochester - Interviewed - Rejected
Rutgers - Rejected
Sienna - Supplement - Rejected

Decision: Prefer not to say

Reflection:
I had a BS/MD specific mentor in this process who greatly helped me throughout this process especially with school selections, essay brainstorming, and interview prep

I heavily prepared for interviews mainly by finding lists online and planning out these responses. Mock interviews with mentor and some of his prior students were also helpful.

I was able to talk about niche parts of my application that other applicants likely did not have, like working a part time job, which led to some cool conversations in interviews.

My hospital volunteering was excellent and allowed for plenty of patient interaction, which I highlighted in my essays despite. My mentor helped me realize that this this experience made up for the fact that my shadowing and research was significantly below the average BS/MD applicants.

CC can be quite misleading. You do not need crazy research awards, LORs, or hours to get into these programs. Find the strongest aspect of your application and make sure to emphasize it throughout your essays (especially why med) and interviews. Versatility is also important!

Also, a lot of pointless arguments on this year’s thread made it really annoying to check these otherwise helpful forums… Otherwise CC can be a great place for information as long as it is checked in moderation. Good luck all and PM if you have any questions!

6 Likes

Reminder that CC is not a referral service and it is a violation of terms of service to solicit business on this site. A number of posts deleted.

2 Likes

Just wanted to post here. I got into 3 BS/MD programs and 1 BS/DO program with less than average stats as a high income ORM (I did not choose a BS/MD program at the end). If you would like to know my stats, please feel free to PM me. To any junior who is excited and passionate about a medical program, do NOT let lower stats discourage you. You are absolutely capable of being a doctor and you are absolutely capable of getting into a medical program. In my opinion, it is absolutely how you present yourself and your essays. Of course it is important that you meet certain baseline stats, but they are not end all be all. Essays, ECS, and your genuine passion are what count and if you accurately reflect on them, you WILL get in. CC is often super toxic and discouraging, and if you took one thing away from this post I hope it’s that you always believe in yourself.

2 Likes

Can you share your stats, background, and colleges you applied and got admitted, so that broader viewers can get inspired by your achievements?

1 Like

From the very first thread:

Posts without results are subject to deletion without notice or comment. Any posts containing the following phrases, however paraphrased, will be considered a violation of Forum Rules:

• PM me
  • I PM’d you
  • What consultant did you use?
3 Likes

Posting for my son…

GPA: 4.0 (UW), 4.48 (W) at the time of application

Class Rank: NA; Class Size 470+
SAT: 1580

AP’s (at time of application)

AP Calculus BC
AP Computer Science A;
AP Biology

AP US History

Didn’t do AP Chemistry due to load concerns. Hindsight view this as the big gap in our academic process. Didn’t take it in Senior year as well.

Teacher / Counselor Recs: Not seen but assume to be good

Got 1 recco from research mentor for 2 years.

Major ECs:

· Fall, Winter and Spring Cross Country and Track for 3 Years

· Volunteered at the Senior Residence homes for 3+ years and worked with Alzheimer’s/Dementia residents after some time.

· Worked in local Univ. Model UN for Global Health Scholars Program. Presented findings and implemented in Senior Residence Home

· Physician Shadowing – 40+ Hrs

· Viral and Bacterial related research across 2 Summers

· EMT Trainee at time of application, needed to be 18 Yrs of age for EMT; Also counted as 400+ hours of volunteering.

· School Journal Editor, Social Media Manager, Writing Center Mentor

• · Penn State/SKMC – Accepted and Joining
  • · RPI/AMC – Accepted and Withdrew
  • · Hofstra – Interview Reject
  • · VCU – Interview Reject
  • · Case Western, U Pitt, Drexel, Brown, U Rochester – got UG, but not interview
  • · GW – got full reject

• · Not calling out but applied for local schools and accepted.
  • · IVY – Interview from Dartmouth, Rejects from Yale, Columbia

Scholarship: Got Scholarship for Undergrad from VCU, Hofstra, Case Western, Drexel, U Pitt and local schools

Reflection:

It is a tiring process, start early if you are interested in BSMD like Apr/May prior to senior year. Nailing the list of colleges confine the amount of data you need to get which should be the priority. Attend info sessions, helpful when you write your essays for the colleges on what appealed to you, why this college etc.

Lot of information is overwhelming requires reading them for the 2nd or 3rd round to ensure you get it.

Somethings we learned:

• · When evaluating schools look out how many seats are available. There are 3K - 4K student applying nationally and most program gets upwards of 1K students. So be wise in where you put your $$.
  • · Additionally, some schools have in-state Vs out-of-state criteria look out for those.
  • · This is a tough one, most schools seem to pick 1 student per high school. Being aware of competition from your high school is helpful.
  • · UPitt is free application. So, use it for what it’s worth.
  • · If you can find stats on what matriculation rate from BS to MD. For example, Hofstra says their move forward is 7 out of 10 students etc. Hofstra did a good session what the 4 yrs of MD school would look like. They did this only for the students who got the interview stage.
  • · Read the medical school website to tailor the essays a bit. I think our essays ended up being SKMC style (realized after the fact). May be the reason we got there and rejects on other.
  • · May not be applicable next year… AMC didn’t do a presentation for parents. They did a student session across the 3 feeder schools. Also, they said they aren’t doing admitted students’ day due to COVID.
  • · Most programs are bad in updating the portal except Pitt. They usually email. Pitt posts in the doc center and then an email comes out 2-3 days later.
  • · We did the FAFSA but not the CSS profile. Some colleges asked for it. Given the income we didn’t expect any. From a scholarship I don’t think we missed out.
  • · BSMD required official reporting of SAT scores. For non-BSMD check if you can submit unofficially. Allow College Board 7-10 days and avoid rush reporting which is $$

Finally, CC is a wealth of information. It can also increase your frustration. Use in moderation. You can look at the prior year posts to get the deadlines of when they announce etc.

Deleted. For so many reasons, this is not allowed. Users can post results for themselves or for their children and legal dependants.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.