Engineering...does school really matter?

<p>Choosing an engineering program based on objective data is very difficult. The USNWR rankings are really a total sham as 100% of the score is based on "institutional reputation," a self perpetuating metric that tends to keep the top at the top. Forbes rankings are a little better as they at least rely on some objective data, but they rank schools in toto and don't break out engineering. Schools where engineering is a dominant player skew their rankings because of the post graduation earning potential. Conversely, state schools with engineering programs often rank low, not as a testament to the engineering school, but reflecting the fact that engineering may represent a smallish portion of their total grads.</p>

<p>So, at the end of the day, short of the elite three, MIT, Cal Tech and Stanford, where connections might carry the day, does it really matter where you go for undergraduate engineering? If it does why and can you back it up?</p>

<p>M</p>

<p>Carnegie Mellon? Berkeley? Cornell? Texas A&M? UPenn? There are many great colleges that have lots of connections and will impress several when mentioned.</p>

<p>All of those have name recognition, but is there any objective evidence that a student is truly better off going to one of those.</p>

<p>Consider this, we have a high EFC and will pay full price, less any merit aid, no matter where S goes. We live in a WUE state. He could attend Oregon State, Utah or New Mexico Tech for well under $100K. All of the above mentioned schools will be well over $200K.</p>

<p>Also consider this, New Mexico Tech produces more PhDs per capita than all of the above mentioned schools.*</p>

<p>In the end, how much does the school matter if a student is motivated and well grounded?</p>

<p>M</p>

<p>*[nsf.gov</a> - NCSES Baccalaureate Origins of S&E Doctorate Recipients - US National Science Foundation (NSF)](<a href=“http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/infbrief/nsf08311/]nsf.gov”>http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/infbrief/nsf08311/)</p>

<p>This is a belief that I agree with. I and many people on this board seem to agree with this sort of sentiment.
eyemgh’s statement that is</p>

<p>You just want to make sure they have good recruiting. Without a good career fair base, job placement goes way down.</p>

<p>I’ll add to jobfair recruiting partnership programs. There are lesser known regional colleges that have feeder programs to big name employers that just happen to be around the block from the campus (or actually a part of the campus).</p>

<p>Thanks. How would one assess this as I’m guessing every school would say their recruiting is good.</p>

<p>M</p>

<p>Google their engineering program.
Keep in mind that most schools don’t weed too hard on most majors, but engineering is often the big exception. Schools that accept a lot of students who are bound to fail will kill their rankings. The engineering school itself should be somewhat insulated from this effect.</p>

<p>NeoDymium, I’m not sure I follow. Google what specifically?</p>

<p>I agree on the weed out aspect and maybe that’s something in favor of paying more, access to smaller classes and direct help as opposed to sinking or swimming on your own.</p>

<p>M</p>

<p>eyemgh: Hubbie is MSEE. Graduate of Stanford. Helps with group and lunch interviews at a well-known DOD subcontractor.
School prestige helps, but at the end of the day, gpa and internships are what really matter.
Hubby asks for transcripts.</p>

<p>Thanks Bea!</p>

<p>M</p>

<p>

The school of engineering by name.</p>

<p>Neo, are you saying that if I Google the school I can find information about recruiting?</p>

<p>M</p>

<p>Google the schools career fair. Where are you looking at anyway? I go to NC State, our career fair is ridiculously huge, you can google it and compare if you would like. Look at specifics like the number of employers listing your specific major to get a glimpse.</p>

<p>The very brightest kid I know chose the scholarship at a top fifty school over Carnegie Mellon and Cornell. He has great work experience and this summer his internship was at Carnegie Mellon. He is interested in robotics and studies electrical engineering. He just started his senior year at Pitt. I will have to let you know how he does, but my prediction is that he has no regrets.</p>

<p>Chucktown, lightbulb just went on. Thanks!</p>

<p>MD Mom, thanks for the info!</p>

<p>M</p>

<p>Let me start off by saying that I am making some broad generalizations based upon my 25 year career as an engineer in 1 company.</p>

<p>It depends if you want to work right of college with a BS, or you want to go to grad school and focus on research. I believe that the better name schools (MIT, CMU, etc) give you and edge when it comes to grad school and research- type positions. </p>

<p>However, I hire many engineers right out of college with a BS degree. There is a definite difference in the type of student from a lesser known state school, our local nationally recognized tech schools, and schools such as MIT. The better well rounded, problem solving, team working engineers generally come from the local tech schools (WPI, RPI, etc). The MIT students are very bright, but working with people is not usually a strong point. They tend to do well in more research focused jobs, allowing them more freedom to use their creative minds. The kids from the lesser known ‘state directionals’ tend to struggle a little bit more.</p>

<p>Of course, there are exceptions to all of the above.</p>

<p>Knowledgeable folks on this thread have said often in the past that evaluating the quality of engineering schools is very different from comparing the quality and reputation of undergraduate colleges.</p>

<p>For example, I haven’t heard any people say that Columbia, Princeton, Stanford or Duke engineering is stronger than the engineering departments at UMichigan, Purdue, Georgia Tech, , Rensalaer, Virginia Tech or even UCalifornia-Berkeley.</p>

<p>gsmomma, thanks! Do you do most if your recruiting at schools located close to your business? Unlike healthcare professionals, maybe prospective engineers need to consider matriculating in the same region they’ll likely want to live after training. thoughts?</p>

<p>M</p>

<p>LakeWashington, that’s part of why I posted this to begin with. It seems like those who do voice an opinion base it primarily on the USNWR undergraduate engineering ranking which is based solely on institutional reputation or on the ranking of the whole school. Is there a more objective way?</p>

<p>M</p>