FAFSA Changes in covid-19 relief bill (starting 2023/24 year)

The covid-19 relief bill has a number of provisions that will simplify FAFSA beginning with the 2023/24 academic year.

Highlights:

• Going from 108 questions to 36

• Does away with EFC, replaces it with Student Aid Index (YAY!!!)

• In cases of divorce, parent who provides the most support fills out FAFSA (NOT who the kid lives with the most)

• Multiple changes in what constitutes untaxed income

• FAFSA will no longer divide the parent assessment by the number of family members in college (will reduce aid for middle to high income families)

• Changes to simplified needs test

• New Pell Grant eligibility criteria (one major change
incarcerated students now Pell eligible)

• Charging a fee to complete FAFSA will be prohibited (YAY!)

• Lots more

See details here: Pandemic Relief Package Simplifies FAFSA

2 Likes

Finally.

This (SAI) has been requested by the financial aid community for years.

I am concerned about the change regarding number in college. That does not just affect middle/higher income families. It absolutely impacts low income families that don’t have an auto zero EFC.

I am out of the loop now that I no longer work in the field, but I will check into all of the changes later & give my opinion on the impact.

6 Likes

thanks for sharing this. I will have 2 in college in '23/24. we’ve only let our kids take out subsidized loans, and that’s only been when we’ve had 2 in college at a time. wondering how that will shake out down the road with the EFCs not being split. Anyway, it’s good to know this change.

my question from that article is this: – basically the cash support on a student’s behalf. What does this all mean? not understanding. will those funds be not counted? or counted elsewhere? what do you think? thanks.

"Untaxed income and benefits will no longer include the following:

* Child support received
* Workman’s compensation
* Veterans’ education benefits
* Housing, food and other allowances for military and clergy
* Cash support and any money paid on the student’s behalf
* Other untaxed income and benefits"

By then I will only have 1 left in college but this seems like a lot of people will get hurt especially more middle income people and like those who fill out the CSS, divorced parents, but maybe I’m wrong. It’s great to see that child support is taken out especially because for many states it ends when the kid graduates high school anyway and isn’t even relevant when the kid is a freshman in college.

I have never been charged a fee for the FAFSA, only the stupid CSS. The whole thing is a racket and there are so many things all around that still need to be changed with the system, but I guess for some this will be a start.

My understanding is they won’t be counted as income. So grandma gifts you 10K, 5K of it doesn’t get tacked on the EFC. It sounds like it will still count as an asset, but that seems a lot easier to get around since you only report assets as of the date you fill out the FAFSA.

2 Likes

@srparent15

The fafsa is free to file. No one gets charged to file it unless they goof and use a paid service.

That’s what I thought. So why was that being highlighted as one of the changes?

Because it sounds like the shady practice of charging a fee to help file FAFSA will now be explicitly prohibited. This would be a good thing.

5 Likes

Are you serious? Who did that? Doesn’t everyone just go to the Fafsa website directly and apply?

Btw, for anyone else reading about this, if you have a boy make sure they sign up for the selective services by the time they’re 18. You can go directly to the selective services website and do it early and they will automatically enroll your son when they turn 18. We did that and just got my son’s letter this week (his bday was late November), or you can do it automatically when you fill out Fafsa). But it is a legal requirement for all men when they’re 18!! So many people forget every year.

A shocking number of people in my (affluent) area pay someone to do their FAFSA, although one specific provider combines that service with an all around ‘let me help you afford’ college offering.

Our HS PTA had this local provider speak and I about hit the roof when one of the first things he said is how he helps people strategize the schools they apply to based on peer schools being able to see each other on FAFSA, and that he would handle any resultant FA negotiations. Sigh
I mean how can one respect this guy when he doesn’t know the obvious, easy things? Still fighting to not have the recording of that session posted for all to watch.

No offense to you or anyone else, but that is about the dumbest thing I ever heard. Our school has workshops to do it which I went to with my first kid, but it was so unnecessary. I quickly learned that filling out the FAFSA is a no brainer and takes next to no time at all. Just have your tax return nearby, know where your assets are and how much they are and it’s pretty simplistic and I say that from someone who’s financial stuff is somewhat messy as my husband and I filed separate tax returns and I had to report child support, so it was double the work.

Yes, filing FAFSA is easy once you have your documents in hand. Even non-financial types can easily complete it.

I don’t think many schools (public or private) hold workshops
many have the policy to be relatively hands off with finances. For example, counselors shouldn’t know a families income and asset picture. Our large public school does not hold workshops to help with FAFSA, I expect it varies how much a given counselor even knows about FAFSA, so they would not be qualified to run a workshop.

Any laymen can do it, and the workshop is just guiding parents through the process to complete the fafsa at the same time. It’s less than an hour so that tells you how fast it takes anyone to complete it. My sons class had about 450 students in it and maybe 10 people showed up to that workshop so it’s very low attendance. I didnt’ know what it was but now 6 years later it’s even easier. The college counselors should know about fafsa, afterall they’re sent so much information about that as well. And in our state it’s required that every senior fill it out or waive the requirement if they want to graduate starting this year, so if they didn’t know about it before, they better know about it now since every senior in the state is in the same boat and need to be advised by their schools of this requirement.

In any case, I’m still blown away that people would fall for scam artists charging for it. I understand if it’s with other financial planning and that’s different. Also people who say they can get financial aid because they know how to tweak things ,but that then is just legally wrong. Either way, glad no one will be able to charge for it. What they really need to do is get rid of college boards ability to charge for the CSS.

1 Like

Some people inadvertently go to Fafsa.com which charges
instead of Fafsa.gov which doesn’t!

Maybe this will shut down Fafsa.com for good.

@srparent15

5 Likes

Yes, I am serious. Enough people do it that it’s a fairly well known practice (at least within the CC community). No, not everyone just goes to the FAFSA website directly to apply.

for newbies, I think the FAFSA is rather intimidating. people pay all the time for services they don’t want to do or know how to do: house cleaning, taxes, backyard dog scooping/walking etc. So why not “trust the expert” to fill out the FAFSA and get better result? Truly there are so many people who just don’t know what it is, including my neighbor. I’m on her speed dial!

2 Likes

Yes, I guess I can understand that. There are plenty of things I would rather pay someone to do than do myself especially because they do a much better job than me, or because either I am completely unwilling to do it, or because I don’t know how. ie mow the lawn, shovel snow, clean my house! I cleaned my house at the beginning of covid when we didn’t let anyone in here for a few months and it was the hardest work ever and I was not only so slow, I was awful at it. Cheaper for me to pay someone else who does a better job and more efficient. So I guess that makes sense.

1 Like

Finances are very intimidating to some people. Just look how many with taxes that could be done accurately on the back of a napkin pay a tax service to file every year. I used to have people bring me their info to fill out their 1040EZs for them back in the old days when it was all paper file only. H&R Block was charging them something insane like $70 to do them. I only charged $10. :wink:

1 Like

Omg, imagine how much you could get now! $10? LOL

Yes, sometimes I do forget about that and take for granted my financial background. If it’s anything biology related, forget it, I have others to ask for that! :wink: