jewish students at Furman?

<p>My d is thinking of applying to furman. we are jewish, although not religious. we like diversity and have friends of all religious backgrounds. I have heard that there is a large Christian presence and nightly Bible study groups. this doesn't bother me, howeverm I do want her to go to a college with at least a small jewish community/activities and one where she won't feel pressured to convert. does anyone know if she would feel comfortable and fit in at Furman? do you know if there is a Hillel on campus?
thanks</p>

<p>My daughter attends Furman. She said there is a strong Christian presence at school. However there is no pressure to attend faith based events . An invitation may be extended, as an act of friendship, but as soon as you let others know you are not interested your choice will be respected.</p>

<p>I’m currently a student here and I don’t think that there is any pressure whatsoever. I think that it all really depends on who you surround yourself around.</p>

<p>My daughter is also Jewish and considering Furman. We took a tour this past summer and thought it was a great campus. Furman was not high on our list, but we took the tour because a family friend works at Furman and encouraged us to take a look. I’m glad we did. It’s a great school. Our understanding has been that there aren’t very many Jewish students at Furman, but there are some. Greenville is a nice town with a decent Jewish presence, though. Our friend told us that Furman is committed to increasing diversity, so that encouraged us to keep this school on our list. </p>

<p>My family lives in a small southern town - my kids are the only Jews at their public high school, so they’re accustomed to being in the minority. Furman may be a big adjustment for a Jewish student who is from a more diverse region. You might want to keep that in mind. Also, it has been my experience as a life-long southerner who is a Jew by choice (grew up in the Episcopal church and converted as an adult) that there is, indeed, pressure. Before we had kids, I thought being Jewish wasn’t a big deal - didn’t think people really cared. Now that I’m raising two kids in conservative Christian environment, I feel differently. Many well-meaning people have put pressure on my children – I suspect without even realizing what they were doing. My kids are used to this now, and they know how to navigate “being different”. Interestingly, I think these experiences have strengthened my kids’ Jewish identities. </p>

<p>I write all of this as a parent who has no real knowledge of life at Furman! I have no desire to discourage anyone from applying. Again, it’s still on our list. We’re keeping an open mind and are waiting to see if they’re most recently admitted class shows increased Jewish enrollment.</p>

<p>Personally, I can’t imagine my D feeling completely comfortable at any school below 38 degrees N latitude for a whole set of reasons.</p>

<p>But I’m also sure that would also happen at a bunch of Northeast schools too.</p>

<p>I have a son at Furman, raised Presbyterian but is not involved in any religious groups at Furman… He has friends who are Jewish and are quite comfortable at Furman…There is no religious pressure or discrimination that he has ever noticed or experienced.The faculty is liberal and religious bullying or discrimination would not be tolerated at Furman…Furman is a southern University but the school is very focused on diversity and becoming known nationally. Being in SC there are quite a few students with Baptist backgrounds, Furman broke ties with the Baptist church almost 20 years ago(1993 I believe). From my son’s report, these students are extremely nice people and respectful of others differences while following their own beliefs. Being a private school that is expensive,there are also many students who are not from SC and do not have a Baptist upbringing. I have read half the students do go to church and half do not, which is more than the national average for a secular school, but I don’t know first hand as my son doesn’t focus on the religious lives of his classmates and does not attend church. He absolutely loves Furman and is challenged academically and has had amazing experiences on campus and abroad.</p>

<p>Please read the story of Max and Trude Heller, the Heller Service center at Furman is named after Max who recently passed away.Max was the mayor of Greenville, he came to the US to escape Nazi occupied Austria…Some of Max and Trudy’s children are still quite involved with Furman…This story and the relationship Furman and the Heller’s developed may give you peace of mind that Furman is a safe and positive environment for a Jewish student.</p>

1 Like