LAC that holds hands and the unprepared can thrive

This question is for my brother (cc wont let our household sign up for two accounts – IP address?)

He like me went to a bad high school where he easily got a 3.8 unweighted gpa, 4.0 weighted, and all the honors they have, which is not much honors. Unlike me he is not ready to adapt to the kind of schools he can get admitted to.

He’s not going to apply to a sub 50% school even though he might get in. He just needs to go somewhere where it’s going to be easy, and a non drinking non partying kid can get a good gpa in the first year even when he’s not prepared at all, has read less than two books cover to cover in his life, and while mathy has many weakspots that are not his fault.
He aced AP calc at our easy school (the class, not the AP exam which we both bombed), for example, but can’t handle the algebra of an online AP Physics 1 class he’s taking. He’s not unaware of his problems, which shows he’s smart just not learned.

For another example, this morning I was saying something about politics and he didn’t know what “liberal” meant. He’s pretty good at grand theft auto, though. And sports. And I’m aware of how I sound.

Taking big state universities out of the picture (for other reasons) and also community college, and just limited to LAC’s, which ones can you recommend him that he won’t sink in right away?

They also need to have good merit aid.

I know that’s ironic but he can compete for merits.

What part of the country is he in or wants to be in? What can your parents pay? Any idea what he may want to major in? Does he have a preference wrt urban, suburban, small town or rural? Does he have a SAT or ACT score?

CTCL schools would be a good place to start. But if you can answer the above questions, we can give more specific recommendations.

1 Like

How willing is he to ask for help? Lots of schools have help if the people search it out. I really don’t think that handholding is related to selectively except at the highest levels (they may have more handholding).

1 Like

Your brother needs his own account to ask questions. For many reasons, not least of which is privacy, users are allowed to ask questions for themselves and their children only. There is no prohibition against 2 family members on the same IP address.

1 Like