Maintenance scheduled for Friday September 30

We’re updating our database tonight. For approximately 4 hours the site will be in read-only mode. Specifically the maintenance window is: 2022-09-30T07:00:00Z2022-09-30T11:00:00Z. There is also a possibility the site will be unavailble for a few minutes near the end of the window.

For the technically minded, we are upgrading to PostgreSQL 13. That version includes many performance improvements that we need to avoid 50x errors on this site. For the last few weeks, I’ve been working with our DevOps team to develop a plan that minimizes the impact of this upgrade. We believe the result will be a more stable and responsive site.

In the months ahead we’ll be scheduling time to improve our server architecture in other ways. Thank you for your patience.

5 Likes

Which time zone?

If you select the link with :earth_americas: icon, it should show you a variety of timezones:

Screen Shot 2022-09-29 at 9.38.42 AM

But the official window is 0700 UTC to 1100 UTC. :wink: It should end around 7am on the east coast when we start seeing people log in for the morning.

1 Like

Great news. Hoping this helps fix the 50x issues.
Thanks for the update Jon!

2 Likes

Thanks for letting us know in advance.

3 Likes

It took a bit longer than planned, but we are now using an upgraded version of the database. Please let me know if you see any problems. (Not that we are anticipating any!)

4 Likes

So far, so good.

:crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Intermittent issue: the like, link, flag and bookmarks icons are missing below posts. Only the smiley and reply icons are visible. It looks like it’s a visibility issue, because for example if I click where the “link” icon should be it does pop up the right window.
Intermittent, and problem goes away if the page is refreshed.
Will take a screenshot next time.

1 Like

Same for me.

Seems to have started yesterday.

1 Like

Yes, please! (Very odd behavior that might not be related to the change, but you never know!)

And now they are all back. This has happened before. The icons (most of them) disappear, and then they come back.

Here you go…

It seems to happen after a session has been idle (an hour or more of inactivity). I captured this on my phone where I had been inactive for a couple of hours.

Mine was emoji only last night, but fine today till now. Back to emoji only.

1 Like

Now I am back to an emoji only. I have no idea what caused the rest of the icons to disappear.

ETA: I gave a like to a post just now, and all the icons are now back. I don’t know what the cause is, but perhaps this is a cure?

Happening again @CC_Jon

1 Like

I am emoji only again as well.

I am too, but giving a like and refreshing the browser seems to fix the problem, at least for me.

Refreshing doesn’t work for me. But closing and reopening does. Of course, we shouldn’t have to do either.

1 Like