Match DD24 4.0/1460 seeking merit and a motivated student body

Been thinking about your D’s college search some more. Has your daughter given any thought to becoming an actuary? If she likes math but is looking for more practical applications, that might be an option to consider.

Also, I want to thank you for mentioning that racial representation on campus is a factor in your family’s consideration. In researching my prior list, and this list, I have been astounded at how low the percentage of students identifying as Asian on some campuses have been.

By the way, I am not Roman Catholic, but they tend to be in urban areas (which your daughter seems to prefer), mid-sized or larger, and depending on their particular tradition, can provide a great intellectual environment. Thus, this particular list is dominated by them. The schools on this list also gave me some optimism that they might have decent art facilities, too.

Jesuit Colleges: Known for their tradition of intellectual curiosity and social justice.

• Creighton (already mentioned upthread)

• Fairfield (CT): About 4800 undergrads with 2% identifying as Asian. Offers majors in business analytics, majors in economics (via Arts & Sciences and via the business school), finance, and has a minor in Applied Statistics. Arguably the hardest school to get into your price range via merit aid.

• Loyola Chicago (IL): About 12k undergrads with 13% identifying as Asian. Offers majors in Accounting and Analytics, Applied Math, data science, economics (in both Art & Sciences and in the business school), and statistics, among other majors.

• Loyola Maryland: About 4k undergrads with 4% identifying as Asian. Offers majors in actuarial science, applied math, data science, economics (again, both in business and in arts & sciences), general statistics, and quantitative economics, among others.

• Saint Louis (MO): About 11k undergrads with 10% identifying as Asian. Offers majors in biostatistics, data science, economics (B.A. and B.S.), Geoinformatics and Geospatial Analytics, among others.

• Xavier (OH): About 4900 undergrads with 3% identifying as Asian. Offers majors in actuarial science, data science honors program, economics, and business analytics and information systems, among others. The Smith Scholars Program in the business school may also be of interest as it integrates liberal arts and business.

Non-Jesuits

• Elon (NC): About 6300 undergrads with 2% identifying as Asian. Sticker of about $56k, and your D might well get some merit aid here, but it’s unlikely to be a huge amount of merit aid. Offers majors in business analytics, data analytics, media analytics, statistics, applied math, and a minor in data science. (Also, I think they’ve realized that “analytics” is a great marketing term.) Lots of people really like this school, as discussed in this thread. More small town/rural-ish than may be desired. No religious affiliation.

• Siena (NY): About 3500 undergrads with 4% identifying as Asian. Offers majors in actuarial science, applied math, business analytics, data science, economics (BA & BS), marketing research and analytics, and a minor in biostatistics, among others. Associated with the Franciscan branch of Roman Catholics, and they describe that relationship here.

• U. of St. Thomas (MN): About 5900 undergrads, with 5% identifying as Asian. Offers majors in actuarial science, data analytics, economics (with iterations in general, business, international, mathematical, and public policy), geographic information systems, and statistics, among others. This is another Catholic church and its mission and convictions are linked.

• U. of the Pacific (CA): About 3300 undergrads with 35% identifying as Asian. Offers majors in applied math, business analytics, economics, finance, and sports analytics, among others. No religious affiliation.

1 Like