Should I apply to be a SEEDS Scholar?

I was accepted to UCB early and saw on my portal that I can apply to be a SEEDS Scholar. Does anyone have any experience with this and have any advice on whether to not it’s worth it?

Does it sound like something you want to do?

@lkg4answers
I’m not sure, thats why I’m asking.

We’re curious about SEED Scholar program too. Sounds interesting, but unsure whether a white male mechanical engineering student will be seen as a appropriate applicant?

I’m not a white male mechanical engineering student?

Yea, me too. I’m wondering if I should consider applying, but I can’t even find the application for it anywhere. Does anyone know where the actual application with the essays are at?

Also, on the UCB SEED scholar website, it says that scholars are selected for their plans to pursue a PhD, but if I’m not planning on getting one, does that severely hurt my chances of getting the scholarship?

The website says it is a new program that started this semester (Spring 2020).

It says that SEED scholars need to live with each other their 1st year but doesn’t state which dorm or how they choose roommates. They are expected to live in university housing their second year but can choose their own roommate.

@Ritard111 there should be a link to the application under forms on your Berkeley portal.

I am a parent, and although my child is really excited I am curious to know more as well.
First of all if you apply does it mean you have to automatically accept the offer of admission to Berkley? Do they offer the scholarship after you accept The admission offer? We are still waithing to hear from other schools.

@nomood Did you end up applying?

@lkg4answers no I didn’t feel like it

Did anyone hear back from Berkeley about the SEED scholarship?

No, no yet! I hope they tell us this week. May 1st is coming up.

1 Like

Yeah just heard back from SEED scholars this past month, it’s quite nice that they give a 10k research stipend and access to mentors, they try to encourage PhD but its really not that enforced. First years are cohorted, idk about this year, we have yet to hear back. Right now, the program is kinda unorganized, no consistent emails or planning.

@nivem123 Congratulations! This is the first year they are offering the program. They had great plans on how they were going to roll it out but unfortunately everything got derailed. If you have questions, call or reach out to Ira Young. He is very helpful