The Latecomer - June CC Book Club Selection

Our June selection is The Latecomer by Jean Hanff Korelitz (shout-out to @Bromfield2 for recently bringing it up on the “Best Books” thread). This witty and thoughtful novel tells the story of Salo and Johanna Oppenheimer and their triplets, and how the late arrival of a fourth child profoundly affects the lives of siblings and parents alike.

The New York Times calls the novel “an embarrassment of riches,” noting that “the plot is ingenious, the pacing brisk.” More than just a story of changing family dynamics, it also delves into the complexities of race, class, religion, and art.

“The novel unfolds at a thriller’s pace, with Korelitz leaving no loose threads in her complex tapestry of generational wealth and woes across the late twentieth and early twenty-first centuries.” ―The New Yorker

“It’s a marvelous story full of plot twists, intricacies, and depth in events that the reader will not see coming. Perfect for fans of character-based novels such as those by Sally Rooney or Lauren Groff.”― Library Journal

Discussion begins June 1st. Please join us!

8 Likes

I’ve put my reservation in for the public library. I’m #5, so that sounds pretty decent.

3 Likes

My parents had identical triplets; I arrived 16 years later. I’ve always considered myself to be an accident. From now on I will call myself the latecomer. (Hopefully in this book the latecomer isn’t the guilty party, accused of heinous acts against older sisters - or vice versa.)

I’ve already requested a copy.

8 Likes

I wonder if this book will be good as an audio book (both ebook and e-audio are available in our library system). I’m having that eyelid and brow lift surgery on May 1 and have seen suggestions to do audio books for a few to several days. Never tried it before because I have concentration issues just listening and my mind starts to wander.

1 Like

Wow!! How could I not know that after all these years? :astonished:

3 Likes

I loved this book! (And of course I’m now next on the list for Horse ; ))

3 Likes

@ignatius that is truly an astounding thing to discover! Identical triplets, all girls ? Just shocking to learn this, it’s so unique! Fascinating :open_mouth::flushed::face_with_monocle::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished:

3 Likes

Identical triplets - all girls, because, of course, identical - Jane Janice Joan

4 Likes

@ignatius you gotta be the star speaker / featured guest / reigning queen for this book discussion!

In other random thoughts, my brain went “Jane, Janice, Joan, IGNATIUS?” :rofl:

4 Likes

Well, I’m in luck, the book is available already, so I can pick it up at local library and read it before we have to travel and then I can return it and put my name back in the list to try to reserve it again for the June discussion.

2 Likes

Finished at 2 am! Yes, it was one of those books that kept me up till all hours. Once I got to the last third, I had to see how it would all be resolved.

I encourage anyone who’s on the fence to keep going (and it’s a pretty quick read). We’ll have a good discussion!

3 Likes

I just got off the library waiting list today!

1 Like

I just finished this book also. I agree, it was a fast read.

I’m looking forward to the discussion

1 Like

I finished this one early - looking forward to the discussion; should be some interesting themes!

1 Like

I’ve been listening to the audiobook while recovering from my eyelid/brow surgery and it’s riveting. Beautifully read; it’s my first audiobook but likely not my last. Although unlike hard copy, the book keeps going when I doze off.

3 Likes

I also finished the book a couple of days ago. Fascinating! I did anticipate a few plot twists but that’s not a fault of the author and it didn’t diminish my enjoyment. I feel like I know these people – I am familiar with many of the places the book takes place as well as with their background.

1 Like

I received the book today!! It will be the next one I will read.

Me too!

I started reading this book this week too for my first CC book club participation!

Can you give a little guidance to how the discussion works? Does @Mary13 pose a question to get us started and subsequent questions after that? Does the discussion start right off the bat - June 1 in this case?

Any other tips for participation?

3 Likes

The discussion will start right away on June 1; everyone is free to post their critique/thoughts at will. @Mary13 does usually post a set of discussion questions but they are only meant as prompts; this is not a test :wink:. Frequently one or more will lead to an interesting back and forth. Other posts might include interviews with the author, background on a locale or activity in the book, etc.

It’s really wide open.

4 Likes