The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry - June CC Book Club Selection

<p>Our June CC Book Club selection is The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin. This new release (April 2014) is the story of a gruff and cynical bookstore owner whose life is changed by an unexpected event. Per NPR, “At its heart, Gabrielle Zevin's new novel is a love letter to the joys of reading. Each chapter starts with the title of a book or short story, essentially introducing characters by what they read.”</p>

<p>“Zevin has done something old-fashioned and fairly rare these days. She has written an entertaining novel, modest in its scope, engaging and funny without being cloying or sentimental. On top of all that, it is marvelously optimistic about the future of books and bookstores and the people who love both.”The Washington Post</p>

<p>“In this sweet, uplifting homage to bookstores, Zevin perfectly captures the joy of connecting people and books . . . Filled with interesting characters, a deep knowledge of bookselling, wonderful critiques of classic titles, and very funny depictions of book clubs and author events, this will prove irresistible to book lovers everywhere.”Booklist</p>

<p>Discussion begins June 1st. Please join us!</p>

<p>I am really looking forward to this book. Thanks, Mary</p>

<p>Ditto. :)</p>

<p>Just ordered it online. Looks like a great choice!</p>

<p>I’m bumping up this thread as a reminder for those who would like to join us for our discussion of The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry on June 1st. </p>

<p>I just finished the book. It moves very quickly–there is plenty of time for anyone who hasn’t started it yet!</p>

<p>It’s very good!</p>

<p>Agree, it was a very good and a very quick read.</p>

<p>I have my copy of the book sitting here just waiting to be picked up. I don’t plan to start it till sometime next week though. It looks like a quick read and a good one. I’m happy to see a thumbs up or two from you early readers. Still looking forward to the book and discussion.</p>

<p>The author appeared today on our local morning talk show. She is apparently in town for a book signing. She was really lovely and thoughtful. And has a CRAZY head of hair. I am usually too cheap to buy books but DD gave me some Amazon money for Mother’s Day and I might spurge on this one.</p>

<p>Leave some time so you can read all the books/short stories that get discussed in the book! (I thought I might check out at least some of the between the chapters short stories, I’ve only read a few of them.) Just finished it last night and think it will be fun to discuss.</p>

<p>This is just what I needed! I’m enjoying it–so far. See you in June :)</p>

<p>I second mathmom’s suggestion to read some or all of the short stories that preface each chapter. Not only are they great in and of themselves, they also offer some insight into A.J. Fikry. I’ve read three over the past couple of days: The Diamond as Big as the Ritz, A Good Man is Hard to Find and *The Tell-Tale Heart<a href=“all%20pretty%20disturbing!”>/i</a>. </p>

<p>I hope this links right. Within is a recording of Flannery O’Connor reading A Good Man is Hard to Find. It’s accompanied by text of the story. <a href=“"A Good Man is Hard to Find" read by Flannery O'Connor”>"A Good Man is Hard to Find" read by Flannery O'Connor;

<p>Mary, I’ve read the same stories plus “A perfect day for Bananafish” and echo the “all pretty disurbing”. I’ve also been reminded how little I like short stories as a literary form.</p>

<p>Thank you, PlantMom! I’m looking forward to listening to the recording.</p>

<p>mathmom, I don’t usually gravitate toward short stories. Too often, my initial response after the final sentence is, “I don’t get it.” I’m like a distance runner who has trouble with sprints. :slight_smile: However, I confess I’m having fun with this batch of stories. I guess Fikry put me in the right mood to give them a try. </p>

<p>By the way, for those who want to dip into just one or two stories, many of them can be read online for free. I read all the stories in Part I online, except for “What Feels Like the World.” </p>

<p>Very much enjoyed this book!</p>

<p>Finished … in two days … and that includes reading the first three short stories online. I had the bright idea that I’d read the short story and then read its following chapter. In one way that worked brilliantly … a wonderful intro to the chapter. In another way … what a fail! It kept me from just getting on with the book. So I just finished the book sans short stories. I plan to go back now and read the rest of the short stories (and look over the chapters they precede). And to quote Mary:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I finished today on my plane ride home from my niece’s wedding. I enjoyed this book! Now to get to some of the short stories! </p>

<p>Read this over the weekend - loved it! Excellent choice.</p>

<p>^ Great! I’m looking forward to our discussion on June 1st.</p>