100 grand loan for purdue engineering.is it worth..??

<p>Hi,I got accepted to Purdue university college of engineering for the mechanical engineering program.Well,as i was not accepted at other top schools such as Stanford and Caltech i am thinking of going to Purdue.its a bit costlier and they dont have any need blind financial aid system and on top of that i was not qualified for financial aid because my sister and brother are also going to college and my parents combined income is in the 80 to 100k bracket.My flatly said he cannot pay more that 15k an year so i kinda ran into trouble.i figured out that loans would be the option.After some math i figured out that i needed 100k for 4 years.
Now my question is.....Is education at Purdue worth taking a 100k loan..? The main thing is i need a good job after i graduate.So do Purdue engineering graduates get hired easily or do they need to work out.How are the on-campus interviews at Purdue..? Do all the engineering grads get hired.? or do they have unemployment among the engineering grads..? Any inputs from Purdue students,Alumni or people highly familiar with Purdue is high appreciated.Thank you.</p>

<p>[Best</a> Colleges & Universities - Ranked by Job Recruiters - WSJ.com](<a href=“Best Colleges & Universities - Ranked by Job Recruiters - WSJ”>Best Colleges & Universities - Ranked by Job Recruiters - WSJ)
Job recruiters ranked Purdue #2 in Engineering and #4 overall.</p>

<p>There are tons of job fairs, just search job fair on the website.
Placement is good, what percentage I don’t know though.</p>

<p>If you do well in Purdue Engineering you will have an easy time getting hired to lots of good jobs. On campus interviews and job fairs are plentiful. Purdue engineering will definitely provide you the skills you need to succeed. Whether or not you succeed is up to you but you will defiinitely have opportunities at Purdue so as long as you do well I would say it’s worth it.</p>

<p>It would be absolutely crazy to take on 100K of debt. Purdue is good, and you’d have good job prospects, but definitely not worth 100K of debt.</p>

<p>I actually know a lot of people who are taking out 100K+ in loans to be at Purdue. They are not just in Engineering though so you wouldn’t be the only one. I myself am one of these people…</p>

<p>too much man alot of debt u could regret it as well save it for graduate school!! or buying a house or smthn!!</p>

<p>hey jimgotkp as you are a current student,tell me how do you fell of purdue education and its job prospects.</p>

<p>Hey MSL2008 Thank you for your input.I am pretty sure that i will stand some where in the top quarter or 20 percent of the college (thats cuz i loovvee engineering and i am heavy math guy).so do the people in the top quarter of the class get easily hired…?</p>

<p>sleepandrun Thanks for your input man i am feeling way much better now.</p>

<p>I feel Purdue’s academics are worth it personally. I like the school in general and the people who come here. It offers a lot of things I’m looking for. There are people who hate the school when they come here but everyone has different views on stuff like this. </p>

<p>The job prospects for my major is pretty good however it can be a lot better. I’m not a big fan of my department but since I like the school and major, I don’t want to transfer or CODO into another major. </p>

<p>If you come here for Engineering it might be worth it since you average around $50-65K a year depending which one you exactly do. I know a guy who makes $65K a year and its his first year on the job.</p>

<p>If you are in the top quarter of engineering students at Purdue, then you most likely have about a 3.2 GPA if not higher. My friends who graduated from Purdue engineering with those kinds of GPAs are all making around 70-80K mostly as consultants. With that kind of money and living on the road with housing/travel/food paid for, they have paid off 100K worth of debt in about 4 years (granted they are very aggressive savers). Also, Purdue has a Coop program where you take 5 years and intern for a semester and get paid/earn experience so that can also help. But yeah, Purdue engineering is among the top 10 and if you do well you will definitely get a high paying job so 100K should be easy to pay off if you tackle it aggressively.</p>

<p>If not purdue then what is ur 2nd choice and how much does it cost?</p>

<p>@MSL2008 I am pretty sure i would make to the top quarter of class.Thank you for your time and input.I am looking forward for the college.
@patel my second choice would be UCSD (San Diego) or UCLA.its around the same(37,000). Purdue is better ranked over San Diego and LA.So the choice was easier.</p>

<p>lol, I would much rather live in Cali than indiana. much much better weather, and there’s just more to do in LA. Also, if you are a Cali resident, I think it would make more sense to go to UCLA because of reduced tuition, and if the rankings for engineering at purdue and UCLA are near each other, it shouldn’t make a difference concerning jobs, internships, etc.</p>

<p>No, please don’t do that to yourself. Purdue is an excellent school but that is a crippling debt load and you will spend years paying it back. Have you looked at repayment schedules to see how many years it would take for you to pay back a loan of that size? Do you have other options for school that would be less expensive?</p>

<p>I agree about the debt load. but, I understand wanting a quality school.</p>

<p>What about transferring in to Purdue after a year or two of community college or a year or two at your stateflagship university or a place that will offer you merit aid?</p>

<p>When you graduate, your degree only lists the school from which you graduated. So, if you did 2 years of community college then went to purdue, your degree would still say Purdue and you would save a lot of money.</p>

<p>Its something to consider. Also, can you work in the summers and during the school year so that you can borrow a lot less? 100K is a lot of money when you have to pay it back in 10 years.</p>

<p>I love Purdue, I went to Purdue–but no school is worth getting into that kind of debt. That is a hell of lot of money to have to pay back, even if you make $100,000 a year. You are going to be starting your adult life, you are going to have a lot of other things to spend money on other than student loans. I am begging you to find a different alternative.</p>