2011 Big 10 publics tuition/fees by school

<p><a href="http://apa.wisc.edu/Tuition/BigTentuition.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://apa.wisc.edu/Tuition/BigTentuition.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Sorry, you’ll never get me to accept Nebraska as a Big Ten school… :)</p>

<p>From an OOS standpoint, UW-Madison is still a relative bargain for the caliber of education. I hadn’t known that Michigan State was so high. And Ann Arbor thinks they can still draw from Ivy wannabes/rejects. Fifty grand out the door per year is outrageous.</p>

<p>Thanks, Barrons.</p>

<p>Great information, Barrons! This list further validates our decision to go with UW.</p>

<p>No wonder Wisconsin residents don’t bother with Michigan in general- huge cost factor in addition to travel route through Chicagoland.</p>

<p>that 14k for Illinois in-state is only for the lower tutition. if you are eng. or a science it is over 19k. makes one proud to be from Illinois-not!</p>

<p>This is the reason why I chose Minnesota as an OOS. That and the fact that they’ll give me 38 hours if I pass all my AP exams and 21 even if I fail all of them.</p>

<p>Thank you very much for posting this super info…
We’ve been looking for something like this.</p>

<p>To be clear, Wisconsin is my TOP CHOICE. I don’t want to start a state by state slam session.</p>

<p>I wish there was a similar chart with scholarship info included. I realize that would be basically impossible to do because of variety of students. As an exmaple of what I’m talking about, Indiana is listed as near the top of the list for cost for OOS meaning most expensive. However, when you factor in the OOS IU Distinction automatic schalarship for >3.8 GPA and 30+ ACT, an automatic $9k per year scholarship, Indiana goes from nearly most expensive, to nearly least expensive. Whereas some schools, like Wisconsin don’t offer much as pointed on these threads many times.</p>

<p>Again, helpful info, thanks for posting.</p>

<p>jnm- nor Penn State, even before scandals.</p>

<p>ILMaggie–</p>

<p>You’re going to have to do some research on your own re: OOS scholarships per Big Ten school, because there are so many variables dependent upon colleges within the schools, majors, and the demographics you alluded to above. Doing extensive searches on CC, even dating back a couple years, will probably be a big help. And it will give you good practice for your college years. But be advised that overall, scholarships are a lot stingier lately, given the tough economy.</p>

<p>As I posted above, it’s all about determining value, and of course what your parents can afford. While Indiana may be on a par with UW-Madison in their music and business schools, for virtually any other major/degree there simply is no comparison.</p>

<p>@JNM,</p>

<p>Thanks and I agree with your points. I have done the research, and have a decent understanding for my situation. My point in posting, was for others to do the research, and while the chart as presented is very helpful, it’s not the whole picture. I also agree with your point about value. My post was not a Wisconsin vs. Indiana comparison at all. Obviously, each school in the BIG 10 have their +'s/-'s. As I stated, Wisconsin is my TOP CHOICE, and yes it’s a value and fit for me. </p>

<p>The point was not to use the chart as presented as the only guage of total cost for people doing research. From what I’ve been able to determine, you are also correct about scholarship money being tighter than a few years ago. The example I used in my previous post was an automatic scholarship from Indiana, for anyone with a >3.8 GPA and ACT >29, requiring no application beyond original admissions app for
$9k x 4 years. Obviously, Indiana feels compelled to offer this, maybe because of value, or to attract higher caliber student, etc. As I read the material, it also appears this equats to nearly $0 tuition for instate residents meeting the criteria. I’ll stop on Indiana, it’s only meant as a comparison of tuition costs.</p>

<p>As another example, for future students looking at expenses closely, understanding housing is also important, as I’ve learned - those costs vary widely across schools, albeit a significantly smaller $ amount.</p>

<p>Your point about attracting students is worth noting. UW doesn’t need to offer $ to top students to get them to come. Something to consider when choosing a school if you fit into the top echelons.</p>

<p>One other criteria would be helpful, is to look at where students go after the graduation. That would make a difference in choosing schools. Of course, you would need to make apple-to-apple comparison. I suspect that it depends on the field of study at each school.</p>

<p>Terribly complex to get post graduation actual work/school data that means something. You also have to get accurate student reponses from most grads- much higher percentages than likely from UW grads (not going to be compliant just because someone asks for info).</p>