2022 USNews Rankings posted

The beauty of some schools. Bama. Ms State. mizzou. AZ. UAH The $ are auto paid. On a chart. So it’s not may get. They do get.

Schools like U of SC and Miami imply but don’t state. Miami was if have this grade wise will get $21-36k.

Some privates, Hofstra and Bradley come to mind, will show on the NPC what you’ll get. For us Hofstra was $40k. We didn’t apply but we looked. I’m sure they steal some of those Syracuse kids.

1 Like

Yea I know AU wad closed. I’m a northerner…NJ and spent most years in CA. only two weeks ago was my daughter allowed guests in the dorm

I can only speak to our campus or where my sons friends go but it’s similar to what I hear from everywhere. There are exceptions as @momofboiler1 shared and I know the hillsdales of the world.

No doubt kids were reckless when away from class / off campus.

In Bama case since they were the covid DISASTER they had no choice. So that is likely part of what we saw. I know UTK similar.

Anyway society has moved on and hopefully this thing dies soon like the flu in 1918-21.

Kids should not have to experience this.

Not speaking of this thread, but surprised by how frequently the South is slandered on this forum, only to find that the people that actually give it a chance end up loving it. LOL

4 Likes

Yes, I love how some of these parents are holding their nose and paying full sticker for the big bad south now that they can’t really afford another option that their kids actually want to attend! I absolutely love when people protest with their feet. If you don’t like the options up north and think that full sticker at 75 or 80 thousand dollars a year is ridiculous then go elsewhere. I love that the southern schools stepped up their game and made themselves more appealing to kids from different parts of the country and different economic circles. Mixing socio-economic classes, regions, life experiences is good.

9 Likes

And you know many of our kids will end up south one day. I’m here because the state of TN bought my company here. Not brought. But bought. Over $200 million in tax subsidies etc. California’s counter…improve the nearest off ramp from the freeway.

Ford is building two new huge plants in TN and KY. Rivian needs to add a 2nd plant with their IPO money. . Will be in GA supposedly. Mazda/Toyota have a new joint plant in Huntsville. Toyota is in Dallas (left CA). I Bankers - Alliance Bernstein left NY for Nashville. Amazon Oracle bringing 5k jobs each at $100k plus to Nashville. Tx got Tesla HQ. I speak of many autos just bcuz it’s my industry.

every day I read about companies moving south. 100 employees. 500 etc.

So it’s likely as population migrated many of today’s kids will end up south whether they want to or not. Unfortunately all the migration has lifted home prices and many cities are becoming not affordable.

But the boom will not end anytime soon

3 Likes

Couldn’t agree more!

4 Likes

I believe such a statement is contradicted by the experiences and circumstances of many family’s who actually have kids that have sacrificed and supported their kids choices to attend more elite schools that are need based.

As an “outsider” looking in it is understandably difficult to appreciate the benefits of attending an elite. With that said I would never criticize or insult the decision to be “economic” nor should others seek to quantify the value of an experience they haven’t experienced.

When saying “do anything for daddy or mommy’s little girl (or boy)” or “believe the hype” or “not good with money” you are superimposing your values upon others. I think as parents we are all entitled to seek out what we believe are the best educational opportunities available for our kids without being ridiculed.

17 Likes

Not ridiculing. Was being tongue in cheek. Hence the emoji.

As I said many other reasons……I just don’t know them all as we are all different.

I do worry that some do this for love but not their own safety. Example. At Syracuse I had a friend whose parents sold their house and moved into a mobile home so she could go there. Two years in she had to drop out. They couldn’t afford it. She finished at her Rocky Mountain state flagship. Btw. Still in tv news.at Syracuse very few of us overall made it.

Not trying to impose my values. I just admittedly know I can’t create an entire list. And yes, I know some believe their schools are worth every penny…and you are correct it’s 100% an individual’s choice as consumers.

This is anecdotal, at best. There are also plenty of college kids (and their families) who do care about covid and even view the lack certain restrictions (such as vaccine mandates) as deal breakers with regard to their college choice. On the whole, many quality schools with restrictions (and in restricted areas) are drawing plenty of students from around the country.

Since we are discussing anecdotes and state schools, UCLA (which has mask and vaccination mandates) received about 140,000 applications this year, an almost 30% increase from the previous year, despite high admissions standards. It doesn’t appear to have been shunned on a large scale because of covid restrictions.

8 Likes

I accept your clarification but please understand how your comments remain offensive given your continued highlighting of these pejorative reasons while citing an inability to be comprehensive in listing all reasons.

Consider how your comments sound when modified slightly. I obviously don’t share these views but provide this edit for context…

“If you are not giving your child the ability to choose the educational opportunity that best fits their ambitions you are either uninformed or super poor or, believe the marketing/hype that less elite schools have the same resources as elites, have sour grapes, or don’t care about your kid (particularly if you have financial resources and are being cheap). Or maybe someone who isn’t good with money and didn’t properly prepare and save for their loved ones education or many other reasons”

This is simply the mirror to your words and once again I don’t believe any of this to be the case😀. Everyone has personal limitations, resources and perspectives all of which I respect.

1 Like

The academics at the four SUNY “university centers” are generally quite good and you can’t beat the price, but they simply don’t look or feel like traditional big state flagship schools imo. Buffalo and Bing are the closest to that concept, but Buffalo’s campus has a very suburban vibe; Bing moved to its current site in the late 50s so it doesn’t feel traditional, either, plus they don’t have a football team.

I think the same general principle holds for NJ and the NE flagships: they are good schools but for a variety of reasons they do not have a lock on their in-state kids like flagships elsewhere, and not just in the obvious states like Michigan, Texas, NC, etc. In SUNY’s case the flow is entirely one-way: 93% of Bing’s and a ridiculous 98% of Buffalo’s undergrads are from NYS. That in and of itself might be a deterrent for in-state kids, especially those from affluent families.

5 Likes

True, it’s anecdotal. Re: California state colleges… Covid plays a part, many students who before Covid wanted to go far far away are more apprehensive about not being able to get home easily during the pandemic. State schools across the country are more popular since covid.

Also, the test optional policy at the UCs has opened doors for more kids who may have thought they didn’t have a chance in previous cycles.

Out of state (domestic) applicants to the UC system increased 44%, so the numbers aren’t exactly being driven by in-state students wanting to stay home. And the UC’s are attracting record numbers of OOS applicants even though almost all these out of state students know they will have to pay full freight.

Perhaps, but going test blind also cuts down on applications from those who were hoping their test scores would get them in despite less than outstanding grades. The reality is, given the UC admissions requirements, gpa calculators, admissions statistics, and reputation, the application pool is still extremely skewed toward highly qualified applicants; and the vast majority of students who would otherwise love to attend don’t even apply because they know, test scores or not, they have no chance of admission.

Setting aside test scores, UCLA admitted only 11% of applicants, and the middle 50% gpa range was 4.34-4.68. For comparison sake, Alabama admitted 83% of applicants and middle 50% gpa range is 3.28-3.71. (It is hard to fathom how many applications UCLA would get if students with a 3.28 gpa thought they would have a decent chance of admission.)

Not doubting your stats - I can’t find them. Bama doesn’t seem to publish them (at least not easily findable) and couldn’t find in the Common Data Set. But this is from the U of Bama in 2017.

“The entering class carries an average high school grade-point average of 3.72, with 34 percent having a high school GPA of 4.0 or higher.”

The college data which I believe pulls from the more recents CDS shows average of 3.82. And no, I’m not equivocating Bama to UCLA although I’m sure many students could get into both - but yes, I know most everyone from UCLA could get into Bama and it’s likely not the case the other way.

Another interesting thing to me is - some think the UCs will get more apps because they are test blind - and that makes sense. It doesn’t make sense to me that someone with a great test may not apply because it won’t count. But I imagine if the overall profile wasn’t strong and only the test score was, that person who may have applied now won’t…but how many 3.0s have a 35 ACT or 1500+. I don’t know - I suspect not many.

It is interesting to note that the Florida Schools had increased apps last year (after early articles showed they were down) - and they required the test score. And while I haven’t seen the data, several threads on here in the last day or two mentioned FSU apps were up 100%+ over last year which is crazy. UGA mentioned apps were up 3% over last year in early admission - and last year was TO, this year isn’t - so that defies logic. I just think - we can all think this would happen or that would happen - but honestly, there’s no formula apparently…the apps just go pouring in - more and more!!

I haven’t seen formal stats but I assume there has to be more kids are applying to more schools - the kid who used to apply to 6 now applies to 8 or 9, etc. That would be interesting to see.

University of Alabama Overview | CollegeData

I got the Alabama numbers from graphic in @Catcherinthetoast’s post 484 to you, above.

A 3.0 GPA? I almost spit out my coffee. When I refer to kids who might be dissuaded from applying because of the test blind policy I am more referring to kids in certain demographics with weighted GPAs in the low 4s and with very high SAT scores. That’s not all that rare a combination in highly populated areas with an abundance of quaiified students. UCLA is a long long shot for even those with stellar transcripts and rigorous course loads. Applicants with GPAs in the mid 4s are routinely rejected.

Well . . . when you suggest that the differences are such that parents and students are essentially fools for not pursuing their degrees at schools like Alabama, you kind of are.

And while I agree that some students would have been accepted at both, isn’t this true of almost any two schools in the country? And isn’t it also true that a substantial number of those on full scholarship at Alabama would not gain admission to UCLA and its peers? At USC, for example, NMSF status will get you half tuition if you get accepted, but NMSF status is far from a guarantee of admission.

The FSU website indicates that the increase in applications was a much less crazy 1.7% over the last admissions cycle. https://admissions.fsu.edu/publications/profile/FSU-Class-of-2025.pdf

Was referencing class of ‘26 FSU. I’ll find the threads later. Just what folks have written. Couldn’t find it.

That’s okay, I think I figured it out. From the FSUAdmissions reddit account, addressing the claim that the application numbers were up 103% over last year:

These are not the correct numbers. The 103% increase is based off of point-in-time applications by the priority deadline. Right now, we have over 57k apps, which is the most students who have ever applied by our priority deadline. Please feel free to reach out to our office for further clarification.

Remember that summer and fall of 2020 there were huge problems with test accessibility, and since FSU still required the tests, it was being reported around this time last year that applications down around 50%. A 100% increase after a 50% decrease is about a wash. Regardless, there have been 57k apps this year compared to 62.5K apps for last year. It may be by the end of the extended period there are more than last year, but it won’t be 103% more.

Not sure if University of Alabama is doing that great a job with mixing socioeconomic classes, since only 17% of full time beginning undergraduate students are getting Pell grants, according to College Navigator - The University of Alabama . It also seems to have difficulty attracting non-White students, as it has undergraduates who are 77% White (non-Hispanic), according to College Navigator - The University of Alabama (for comparison, about 65% of the state of Alabama and 60% of the US population is White (non-Hispanic)).

9 Likes

It’s amazing to me that people are evening discussing schools like Alabama in the same breath as the elite schools. A couple decades ago, my safety schools were Emory, Rice, and UVA… Times have changed I guess! :slight_smile:

Don’t sell Alabama students short. My D’s company hired an Alabama grad over one from Yale.

2 Likes