2022 USNews Rankings posted

Completely agree. Hard not to take umbrage with that limited list of options. Lol.

While I generally don’t care about the University of Alabama one way or the other, my limited anecdotal experience is consistent with much that is said here. Doing their part to subsidize the big NMF cash outlay are kids in our state who didn’t quite make it into our competitive flagship choosing Alabama as OOS full pay (or pop), which historically would be viewed as an odd destination for a kid from the PNW. The football program, and national politics (believe it or not), are helping them get upper middle class white kids who didn’t get in to some other top choice(s), or whose parents think Berkeley California and Seattle Washington are cities for lost souls, or both (frequently). It feels relatively recent around here and the politics really do seem to be a contributing factor for West coast conservatives. It’s almost like sending them to Alabama is making a statement.

But whatever. I’m not going to slam a school for trying to make itself better. It’s almost an admission that what they’ve been is no longer acceptable. Good on them for that. But definitely not our cup of tea.

3 Likes

However, that may work in reverse when it comes to University of Alabama not being able to attract very many non-White students.

4 Likes

I completely agree. And I’m guessing that is borne out in the student demographics one encounters there. I have not myself walked the campus, but those who have to a person have reported back that it’s pretty white and homogenous, at least as far as you can tell those things by just being there. Greek is huge, of course, and Greek housing is said to be impressive almost to ridiculous proportions.

1 Like

Or anyone else who isn’t conservative.

2 Likes