33rd Anniversary of Pink Flamingos on Bascom Hill! 9/4/1979

<p>I drove past Chadbourne on Lake Street this morning toward Memorial Union and was treated to a repeat of everyone's favorite plastic lawn ornament decorating Bascom Hill. </p>

<p>Here is a link to the picture from September 3, 1979:</p>

<p>Bascom</a> Hill Pink Flamingos – Surrounded By Reality</p>

<p>Bascom Hill Pink Flamingos Sep 4, 1979
On the morning of the first day of classes passer-bys were treated with the site of 1,008 plastic pink flamingos placed on Bascom Hill by members of the Pail & Shovel Party. By 2 p.m. that day they were gone, taken one-by-one by students. They appeared for years afterwards in dorm rooms, apartments, and everywhere around campus. Today the Wisconsin Historical Society has one in their collection. </p>

<p>The Pail & Shovel Party’s vice president, Leon Varjian speculated they were “blown north by Hurricane David” </p>

<p>The idea for the flamingos came from Jim Mallon and Leon Varjian but the perpetrator of the stunt was Michael LaViolette. He drove a rented truck down to Morton Grove, Ill to get the flamingos from Pink Inc. The flamingos weren't assembled and they had to spend several hours putting them together. He drove the truck right onto Bascom Hill. "Up and down, tossing the flamingos out. I remember being pretty nervous." </p>

<p>Sep 1, 2009 Madison City Council Makes Plastic Flamingo Madison's Official Bird
30 years, almost to the day. The new mascot was debated for five minutes, and then the Common Council voted 15-4 to make the plastic pink flamingo the official city bird. Columnist Doug Moe proposed the idea in a column, Alder Marsha Rummel brought it to the council. </p>

<p>Another link to the Wisconsin State Historical Society article:</p>

<p>Bascom</a> Hill Pink Flamingo: Curators' Favorites: Museum Online Collections from the Wisconsin Historical Museum</p>

<p>UW’s most effective student government. They delivered what they promised–laughs with a twist.</p>

<p>The photographer who took the picture is still around and I ordered a picture and had it framed. You can also buy refrigerator magnets with the picture on it.</p>

<p>“If at all possible involve a Cow"</p>

<p><a href=“Ooops Sorry”>Ooops Sorry;

<p><a href=“Redirecting...”>Redirecting...;