A DILEMMA: UC vs Private College with Debt

<p>Hello,</p>

<p>I just wanted to see what you guys say about this dilemma. Do you think a US News top 20 private with an average debt (~20k) trumps a UC School (in general)? </p>

<p>I’m pretty much stuck in the middle of the situation. I was admitted to UCSD Bioengineering, but I’m totally unsure of my major. I’m considering Music, Cognitive Science, and the tech fields (engineering and computers). I’m also considering University of Notre Dame, but I will graduate with a 20k debt if I attend there. </p>

<p>So here’s my thoughts/questions: </p>

<p>-Notre Dame has a ton more school spirit and community than UCSD. There’s also the “holding-hands” thing where you’re almost guaranteed to graduate in 4 years. There are also no waitlists in classes. However, how important do you think spirit/community is? How about the “holding hands” thing? </p>

<p>-UCSD (and the UC schools in general) have much more areas of study. For example, Notre Dame does not have a cognitive science department. The UC’s also have a ton of research going. In addition, it’s MUCH easier to transfer from UC to UC than Private to Private. However, the UC’s are suffering budget cuts and it seems like you feel a bit “unstable academically” at the UCs. </p>

<p>-Personally, I’m undecided on a major, and I want to go to graduate school. I feel that UCSD is more home-like to me (I’m an asian while ND is 75% white). I haven’t visited either college and I probably won’t get the chance either. </p>

<p>So… considering the debt, do you think it’s worth it? </p>

<p>Thanks for your imput.</p>

<p>The real question is how much do YOU value school spirit and handholding? Do you like sports, and in particular football? Only YOU can answer that question.</p>

<p>SD is extremely strong in Eng and CogSci. </p>

<p>Is $20k debt too much for a private college? For most poeple, no it is not. But, if you come from an extremely poor family, $20k is LOT.</p>

<p>edit: just checked your other posts: I do not believe that the UCs are worth OOS prices.</p>

<p>I think the UCs have been garnering a lot of prestige lately (considering lowered admissions and world class research) in comparison to say Notre Dame. If that’s something you value, you might also consider it a factor.</p>