A Language Class Not Offered?!

Hey guys, I may just be very picky, but what could I do–or, what options are open to me if the college I will be attending doesn’t offer the foreign language class that I want to take? They offer Spanish, which I don’t mind taking; but since I studied French in High School, I wanted to continue studying French, so as to become more fluent in the language because I plan to travel to France extensively when studying abroad in a couple years. It will also help me to read/ translate many academic books that are in French and have yet to be translated into English. This will also assist me greatly in translating vocal music so that I understand what I am singing!

1 Like

Have you looked into local community colleges? Would you need to take a class where the credits would transfer and get counted for a graduation requirement? Or do you just want to learn for the reasons you listed? Is your college part of any consortium or state university system that allows students to take classes at other campuses?

This is at a community college and it’s the only such school who’s credits will transfer to the University I’ll be auditioning for. As for the latter question, I am not sure.

There are many options for studying a language beyond up college courses. Duolingo, online courses at a different college, etc.

As far as translating vocal music, most translations are available online until you can study the languages you want to sing.

I would:
-Ask your academic advisor about options.
-Consider doing a study abroad program approved by your college where you can study the language.
-Find a summer class in that language (get pre-approval from your college).
-Do something not for credit (ex. Dulingo).
-Wait until you get to your 4 year university where there may be more options.

1 Like

I would also check with your public library or around the community for groups who meet to speak French. Duolingo will help you remember the basics, but in terms of staying fluent and becoming more fluent, you should converse with others if you can.

I second all the things others have listed, and like @happy1 says, definitely talk to your advisor or find a summer class to keep you moving forward, or keep you fresh, for when you transfer.