A Peek at Wesleyan's New Science Center

For those interested in pursuing science studies at Wes, there is a new science building near on the horizon. This is I believe the second design, the first being set aside because of the recession. Interestingly for those connected to Wes, the first design involved razing historic and beautiful Shanklin Hall. After an effective resistance to that idea, the new plan contemplates remodeling Shanklin (where the College of the Environment will be housed), and creating a great public space between it and the center.

Here is a short piece on it from Wesleyan magazine, and a series of renderings.

3 Likes

Here are some updates to the new Wes science center, which will be ready in 2026. The plan is still mostly the same, but there are some updates to the exterior of the building. Once again, Wesleyan is embracing limestone. I actually like it better than the two tone approach previously considered.

https://www.wesleyan.edu/construction/Active%20Projects1/2022%20New%20Science%20Building%20Presentation

The Old Cards are getting an exclusive zoom presentation from the VP for Construction and Infrastructure this afternoon. This gives me a lot of food for thought. Thanks for the update!

1 Like

It will, of course, transform that side of campus. I know I sound like a broken record, but keeping Shanklin was a very wise decision. Once those buildings are razed, you don’t see them again. And they’re giving the old gal a break in her new life by removing the wet labs and relocating them to the new building. It’s going to define a great spot on campus and, by its design, bridge south and central campus. The building itself is impressive from what the renderings show and will serve Wesleyan well in the ongoing facilities wars with peer institutions.

It’s incredible the 180 they’ve made on Shanklin from nearly being bulldozed to it occupying the most prominent part of the project! Even the founder and former CEO of Vertex admitted that the presentation was amazing. IIRC, the entire project is four months ahead of schedule due to the mild winter. The other headline is that Wesleyan plans on being “all-electric” by the end of the decade.

1 Like

And when he talks, …

1 Like

…everyone makes the downpayment on their first home. :grin:

1 Like