ACT vs SAT

Hi, I am just curious to find out-
I have taken the SAT twice and haven’t really gotten a score that I am satisfied with. Is the ACT an option I should consider for my next test or is it harder? Is it easier to get a higher score with or is SAT the best choice?
Thanks in advance!

There’s no absolute answer to that – some kids do better on one, some on the other. If you have the option and time to take both, it’s worth finding out which is better for you. Or try a practice test. My older kids did both and used the ACT. My youngest scored exactly the equivalent on both.

3 Likes

My kid’s (excellent) guidance counselor said that in her experience 1/3 of students do better on the SAT, 1/3 of students do better on the ACT, and 1/3 of students do the same on both exams.

Nobody here can guess how you will score on one exam versus the other. I suggest you take a practice ACT and see how you do and if you prefer that exam.

3 Likes

You can know for little money and minimal time.

https://www.satactdiagnostic.com/

As above. Best to take a practice sept ot 2 and see how you like it and how you do.

From my D’s experience, the ACT is fast paced but the questions are a little more straightforward.

The SAT’s questions are slightly more tricky but it’s not as time intensive.

If you’re a quick test taker, the ACT may be an option.

That’s exactly right. The ACT is a speed reading test.

Few students find the reading comprehension on SAT difficult. So, if you are scoring low in reading comprehension then you can try ACT.

Agree

Agree

I would try both and see on which one I get better results.

There is a concordance table that would help you compare

One of the differences is that the ACT has more sections focusing on more areas, including science, and two of those sections correspond to the verbal section of the SAT, so that the math section of the ACT has less weight relative to the SAT. I suspect that’s why my D23’s ACT scores were far better than her SAT scores (although there could be another reason – several years ago, our school district decided to switch from sponsoring the ACT to sponsoring the SAT, so her age cohort had taken the ACT Aspire tests all through elementary school before the switch – so it’s possible that she was just used to the ACT platform and never really adjusted to the SAT platform).