Actuarial Sciences

My son is trying to decide between UW and Michigan, where he has been admitted for Fall of '15. At UW he is a direct admit to the School of Business. He is very interested in, but not sure to major in, Actuarial Sciences, which he would most likely pursue in combination with a double major in Finance if he attended UW.

At Michigan, he would apply for Ross after his Freshman year and may have a lesser likelihood of majoring in Actuarial Sciences there as that major at Michigan is housed in the LSA mathematics department, making a dual major in another school very difficult to accomplish in four years. He wouldn’t likely want to stay in LSA at Michigan as Ross has such better recruiting and he’d want to take advantage of that. By the way, he fully understands the competitive admissions for Ross.

Anyway, a determination of his decision may be how strongly he feels about Actuarial Sciences. If he feels strongly, then it is great and unique that UW houses Actuarial Sciences within the School of Business.

So my question comes down to this. How strong is the Actuarial Science unit at the UW School of Business in terms of academics, internships and placement? I understand that it is one of the few Centers of Actuarial Excellence, but I’m interested in more information than that. Thank you.