Admissions

<p>Bama used to accept almost everybody (in and out of state) that applied.</p>

<p>Is this still true?</p>

<p>Not sure what period of time you’re talking about, or what the acceptance rate was at that time, but the latest acceptance rate figure is around 44% according to US News.</p>

<p>[University</a> of Alabama | Best College | US News](<a href=“http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/university-of-alabama-1051]University”>http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/university-of-alabama-1051)</p>

<p>Are you serious? Bama received over 25,000 frosh applicants last year.</p>

<p>No, Bama doesn’t accept everyone. </p>

<p>Bama rejects over half of its applicants, which is quite selective for a public. For example, your state’s flagship, UTenn, only rejects about 1/3 of its applicants. </p>

<p>What are your D’s stats?</p>

<p>Act 35, 3.8 UW GPA, three varsity (soccer, basketball, volleyball), SB VP</p>

<p>dont think you have much to worry about.</p>

<p>He may have been worried that if his D attended, she’d be surrounded by a bunch of dolts. He doesn’t have to worry. There will be many smart classmates who will compete with his D for those A’s, especially if she chooses a challenging major.</p>

<p>The brightest kids at Bama aren’t equally spread amongst all majors. They’re mostly concentrated in about 12 majors.</p>

<p>Is your D a likely NMF? IF so, then she’d get a bigger scholarship.</p>

<p>What is her major or career goal? Is she premed?</p>

<p>I see that you’ve been posting in the premed forums. If your D is premed, I can answer some questions about that at Bama since I just had a son go thru all that and he’s going to med school in August.</p>

<p>WARNING: <strong><em>Thread Hijack Alert</em></strong></p>

<p>M2CK - Son applied today and will likely be majoring in Chem E with an eye on Medical School. Feel free to throw any advice you may have in my direction. </p>

<p>Stats: SAT 2150 (Breakdown M 710 R 720 W 720) Unweighted GPA Roughly 3.7 (This is a guestimate since he has not received his grades yet. Taking Calculus without Trigonometry first challenged him and brought the GPA down.)</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>Hi M2CK…</p>

<p>You wrote above:
“The brightest kids at Bama aren’t equally spread amongst all majors. They’re mostly concentrated in about 12 majors.”</p>

<p>Being the curious type… What are the 12 majors?</p>

<p>Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>My son said that he’d find it difficult to pick 12 majors where the brightest students at UA are clustered. However, students with strong quantitative skills inevitably drift towards the hard sciences, engineering, mathematics, economics, and finance. Students with strong verbal skills tend to drift towards public relations, political science, history, and the languages. Most of my son’s friends in the Honors College fell into one of those two groups.</p>

<p>Although I wouldn’t necessarily discount many of the other majors for their importance as well. Test scores and other quantitative measures of intelligence are poor indicators for success in occupational areas, e.g. nursing, education, interior design, athletic training, and others.</p>

<p>I am also kind of curious as to what 12 majors attract the brightest students. Alabama has 80 majors, hard to believe that any of them don’t have a least a couple of bright students.</p>

<p>Please reread my words:</p>

<p>I didn’t say that the brightest students are ONLY found in 12 majors.</p>

<p>I didn’t say that the other majors only have a couple of bright kids.</p>

<p>I said that they’re MOSTLY concentrated in ABOUT 12 majors. Of course there are very bright students in more than 12 majors. So, of course there are other majors that have MANY more than a couple of bright kids. :)</p>

<p>However, when you look at the breakdown of where the Honors students are, they
are largely concentrated in about 12 majors. </p>

<p>I hesitate to list those majors because I may leave one off and someone might be offended. :)</p>

<p>For instance, about 500 honors freshman major in Engineering. </p>

<p>Again, I’m talking about concentration. Other majors have bright students as well.</p>

<p>My point is that the top stats students are NOT equally distributed amongst all 80 majors. It’s not as if the school proportions these students.</p>

<p>Presidential scholarship for international students.it is based on SAT score only right?</p>

<p>^^^
Where did you read that?</p>

<p>I think it’s based on SAT (M+CR) or ACT…and GPA.</p>

<p>What are your stats?</p>

<p>M2CK’s comment about the brightest kids mostly being concentrated in 12 majors made me wonder which ones those might be; so looking at the UA Factbook I found a breakdown of majors for first time Honors College undergraduates in 2012.</p>

<p>Source: “The University of Alabama Factbook: 2012-13” (p. 77) – Honors College First-Time Undergraduates by Major: Fall 2012</p>

<p>The 2012 Honors College first-time undergraduates totaled 1755 students and represented 79 different majors.</p>

<p>And, the top 12 majors for FIRST TIME undergrads in the HONORS COLLEGE for 2012 were (percentage is of the 1755 students):</p>

<p>8.7% Chemical Engineering
7.3% Pre-Medical
6.8% Undesignated Engineering
5.9% Mechanical Engineering
5.5% Biology
4.7% Pre-Major Studies
3.6% Nursing
3.3% Lower Division General Business
3.1% Computer Science
3.0% Lower Division Finance
3.0% Electrical Engineering<br>
2.6% Lower Division Accounting </p>

<p>Maybe someone else will find this interesting, too. Although no where near as interesting as “Riprorin’s” post about the Miss USA runner up being from UA. ;-)</p>

<p>ThorEric is right up there with the rest of us OCD analytical # crunchers. Momreads was pretty spot-on with her off-the-cuff list of majors, too.</p>