After Admitted to TAMU Class of 2026... Whoop!

We attended National Scholars Experience today. A couple of notes:

Per the Scholarship & Aid director: they have given out all scholarships and no more scholarship offers will be coming from their office. Individual departments have until July 1 to distribute any department scholarships, but there was no indication how many of those there might be. Most use the regular university scholarship app with nothing additional needed to be done by the student to be considered. They had 33,000 scholarship applications and less than 10% were offered scholarships.

They told us in one of the sessions that June NSC dates are almost completely full. We had hoped for June 14-15, but it was full.

So much information shared today! But, those were points I thought y’all would be interested in.

2 Likes

Thank you!

Did they mention how many national scholars have been admitted or anything about the summer Italy trip for national scholars. My daughter is going to apply. Wondering what the odds are of her getting in. Looks like they pick about 30 students.

Also did they mention anything of interest about the national scholar ambassador program. I’m encouraging her to consider interviewing for that.

@ElsiesMom good info shared from Scholarships & Financial Aid office! Less than 10%
that sounds about right.

It’s super important to note-Returning Students (so current Sophomore, Juniors and Seniors) will need to reapply for scholarships every year, even if they have a 4 year scholarship. The Returning Student application is open Oct 15 - Feb 1. It will be posted on their Howdy, mentioned on Parent FB pages, it isn’t a secret. There is no sense of urgency to apply the day it opens, just make sure they do it sometime during that time frame. My Aggie always does her over Christmas break.

I suggest always submitting FAFSA, also. Once you do it, if you save that info, it isn’t such a pain in future years. Many scholarships require FAFSA to be on file; if it isn’t, your student is overlooked for that scholarship. Better to be safe, then sorry
submit FAFSA (whether you qualify, or not. We don’t qualify, and my Aggie has at least 2 A&M scholarships that specifically mention FAFSA is a requirement).

Once the school year starts, tell your student to pay close attention to emails re:scholarships. Every scholarship is slightly different. Some require a thank you note, some have mandatory attendance at a banquet or dinner, some don’t require anything. If a thank you is required, read the directions! Many times the note will need to be given to Office of FinAid office or someone in the major specific-as proof/verification. And if a thank you note is required, not written (or written, but not submitted properly)
they will lose that scholarship. My Aggie is in charge of everything, it is her responsibility
just mention this to yours, so they’ll be aware. Info about scholarships is usually mentioned once, that’s it, so your student needs to on top of things. And send your kid to school with some nice, personalized stationery and a few stamps.

I keep a maroon binder of important A&M stuff (sort of like a scrapbook, but everything is just slipped into clear Avery sleeves). My Aggie forwards me emails, or prints them when she’s home during summer & Christmas, and I keep it all in the binder- her PES program, study abroad flyer, Scholarship award info, awards received, I print off tuition statements, if she applies to something and gets accepted, her Ring Day ordering receipt, etc. She recently applied for something at A&M and asked me to bring up ‘the binder’. She had forgotten about a couple of things from her freshman year, and the binder came in handy! @martinezcs i know your girl has been awarded some big things, thought this might be helpful for you.

1 Like

Thank you! That is helpful!

1 Like

When does Phase 3 for housing open? I thought I saw a date somewhere but can’t find it anywhere. I know it’s in March, does it begin on the 1st of the month?

Sorry for the delayed response! It was a hectic work day after being out two days.

They did talk about the Italy trip, but did not indicate how many applications they expect. All national scholar students were invited to apply. It sounds like a great opportunity, and my daughter and I are looking at calendars to figure out if it’s something she can work in this summer or not. Those selected may be asked to change NSC dates, and they will take 30.

For TANSA, solids like they hold meetings early in the year and students can apply to be an ambassador. We had several TANSA students join us for lunch followed by Q&A. They had some interesting experiences and encouragement to share.

One more piece of info, they encouraged everybody to utilize Aggie One Stop for all things admissions and financial aid related. https://aggie.tamu.edu/resources/contact-us

1 Like

Does the Italy trip cost money, and did they mention scholarship opportunities for it?

The Italy trip is heavily subsidized and is $3,600 out-of-pocket. They did not address scholarships for the trip specifically, but the website and brochure mention scholarships possibly available.

1 Like

Thank you!

Anybody know anything about parking permits for those taking cars to campus next year? Was hearing it opens in April and you have to pounce on them to purchase as they sell out but you might not know where your child’s dorm is yet to know which lot to purchase in? Then was told some lots require you to move the cars on game days? Any insights would be appreciated. We weren’t planning on letting my daughter take her truck but now are reconsidering so she has a way to get home and get around CS as needed.

@1stCollegeRodeo the A&M Transportation site will give you all the answers. A&M website is super helpful.
Parking is a true lottery pull, based on seniority. Freshman living ON campus are guaranteed a spot-somewhere-as long as they register within the window.
You absolutely don’t want to register for parking before you know your dorm room. You’ll be able to list up to 4 or 5 lots and garages, but know that more than likely your kid could get West Campus Garage. Don’t expect to get the flat lot or garage closest to their dorm.
Better to buy a space and not use it, because there won’t be spot available to purchase in the spring. And she’ll be dead last on the list trying to get an off campus spot as a sophomore, if she doesn’t have a spot as a freshman.
You need to join the FB Parent pages, they will have many posts about parking. And Parking is open like May-July 1, a big window. Parking is the ONLY thing that doesn’t require jumping on registration asap.

1 Like

to tag on
 You’ll know your dorm before putting in your selections for parking. Then you’ll get what you get. Typically lot 100 for freshman or a random lot closer to dorm.

It’s definitely a commitment to go get the car, lol. Except White Creek students who get super close to dorm and it’s guaranteed in that lot.

2 Likes

@1stCollegeRodeo always search the A&M websites-ResLife, Transportation, Scholarships/FinAid, Student Business Service (SBS) and there’s a new Aggie One Stop (something like that). Links and info for pretty much everything.
Download the super helpful A&M app, too!

https://transport.tamu.edu/

https://aggie.tamu.edu/resources/contact-us

1 Like

Thanks @52AG82 & @ChristiR93! Y’all are so helpful! First in being a voice of reason as we went thru this admission waiting process and now as we face info overload to prep for Fall. I appreciate you both more than you know.

1 Like

4 Likes

For real, if you haven’t joined the 2 main Aggie Parent FB pages, that’s a must! And depending on the major, there are major specific pages for many. The current parents will help a ton.
But seriously, spend time daily this spring & summer digging around on the A&M website & app. Huge, untapped resources.

My daughter applied October 25th, got admitted yesterday afternoon Public Health

2 Likes

I joined the Aggie parents, Texas A&M Blinn Team mom&dads, and Texas A&M class of 2026 FB pages already. Lots of info being shared.

1 Like

Great! That’s where you’ll get the best info. Plus the websites & app.
The pages will BLOW UP with posts about dorm selection and parking, closer to the time
promise.

was this changed this morning/ today? Congrats.