After Admitted to TAMU Class of 2026... Whoop!

And to add on… while can be random, seniority is key. Aside from on campus residents… seniors get their first choice.

However… once you have your lot or garage and want to keep it for future years, you get first right of refusal if done by deadline for renewals.

2 Likes

@ChristiR93 yes! And whatever you do, do NOT turn in your parking tag at the end of the school year for a prorated refund (unless graduating)! You will lose all seniority.

2 Likes

Hi just updating in case anyone is curious. My daughter was able to get Underwood 2nd floor (thanks to Ff1042 looking up rooms for me before her time slot). This process was way too stressful! But I am glad we are done with the dorm selection.

6 Likes

@TMHudson - did you steal the last double even side room? :joy: It disappeared before my daughter could hit save. She and her roommate were able to get a double even side room on the 3rd floor. Things were moving quickly. I’m just relieved we’re done with that task! Hope they all love their new home!

5 Likes

Yes she did get it. Lol. I am SO glad it’s over too. She really wanted northside but Underwood was first choice south so happy about that.

1 Like

How likely are the apartments on campus to be available on 5/17?

@Kelly_Zhou White Creek? They’re usually the last to fill (location & price). It varies from year to year tho. May 17th is late, but you are guaranteed a spot…somewhere. If you’re interested in WC, head straight to it when your selection time opens. Most likely there will be some available rooms.

My daughter and her roomie got 3rd floor Underwood even side also. It’s kind of fun because I lived in Underwood back in the “olden days” :grin:

4 Likes

Do you know if the even dorms are the bigger ones in underwood? Or is it the odd side?

1 Like

@Sophiaaalexa ResLife website shows this-

3 Likes

even

1 Like

Anyone know if a meal plan is required if they choose White Creek?

Yes. all on campus residents as a freshman are required to get a meal plan.

So they can do the White Creek Meal plan which is dining dollars only since they aren’t near a dining hall if they don’t want meal swipes or do 100 meal swipes as long as they pick something.

@1stCollegeRodeo the White Creek plan is new, either this year or last (wasn’t offered in 2019).
It is nice they don’t require the full Meal Plan, since there’s no cafeteria on West Campus. Tho there’s a new West Campus food court building that just opened this spring-Chick Fil A, Copperhead Jacks & Houston St Subs-my daughter loves it! And White Creek Market does have limited food.
You definitely will want Dining Dollars, and maybe Meal Swipes, as your student will have most classes on Main Campus. I would honestly wait to add Meal Plan, until after NSC. Figure out schedule, how long they’ll be on Main Campus, etc. No rush to add Meal Plan.

Ooh that’s great they don’t have to have full meal plan. The white creek community center has a market, subs and pasta station. They may have more options now. My son lived there fall 2018-2019 year. It was brand new.

Your student won’t stay only on this side or campus. They’ll have classes on main campus and that’s where all the typical cafeterias are. Meal swipes are the best though.

You can always add on in the semester if kiddos needs more food. And the increments on dining dollars aren’t large amounts, which is nice. Dining dollars also can roll over into spring semester. As far as I know, meals cannot.

It looks like the block meal plans also allow 1 meal swipe per day to convert to retail swipes for up to $7.50 for some places so that’s nice too if they aren’t at a dining common but want to use a meal, since it won’t roll over.

1 Like

I know a lot scholarships have already been awarded and students notified, but I wanted to ask what the chances are that additional funds will be given out?

@99_Brock_Ag it’s common knowledge that TAMU doesn’t give many scholarships (most are NM, very high achievers, Corps or need based), for sure the ‘big ones’ have already been given, for incoming freshman. There’s a chance to still receive a small one, thru summer and even up until school starts (assuming your student filled out the application when applying). Don’t hold your breath, be pleasantly surprised if one appears.
Be sure your student applies yearly, starting in October, for Returning Student Scholarship application + fills out FAFSA every year.

1 Like

There is always a lot of conversation about AP vs DC. We didn’t know what my daughter’s major would be when she was in high school so she took courses recommended by her guidance counselor and hoped for the best. Now that we know what her major is and are prepping for NSC we are looking at the degree plan. Only 1 of her 5 AP classes will fit in her degree plan. 8 of 9 of her dual credit fit her degree plan. So in her case the dual credit ended up being more beneficial than her AP courses as far as college credit. The main benefit she experienced from AP is it is weighted highest at her school so without those AP courses she probably wouldn’t have made top 10% and that is a significant benefit in itself. Conclusion: Since her school offered both, I’m glad she did a mix of both.

1 Like