Agriculture & Applied Economics

<p>How is UW's AAE major? Is it a respected program with companies? Since it is in the Ag school, do other students consider it a slacker major?</p>

<p>UW is a “cow college”, a land grant institution, so I’m sure it is respected in the ag fields. Don’t worry about what any other students think- pick your major based on what interests YOU. You’ll have to check with the department for your employment questions- send them an email and search their UW site. UW is a large enough school that you will find enough students with similar interests. You may find city people who have no idea of what the agriculture world is like and who are curious. Remember UW has Ag Extension offices all over the state. The only slackers are those who don’t do the work their courses require- in any major.</p>

<p>I lived on Lakeshore eons ago and suggest it for an ag major since those dorms are close to those buildings. Had a roommate from a farm one year- she was a transfer who majored in Ag Journalism, she converted from being an early riser and I learned about her world. UW offers “short courses” in various agriculture fields- they even have 2 dorms (Humphrey and Jorns) near the lakeshore dorms- Res Halls rents space for fall dorm overflow from the Ag school.</p>

<p>PS- I noticed your California location. I once had an interesting conversation while buying yard care things at the local farm et al store- the lady was a farmer and could quote the differences in milk content of various compounds between WI and CA cows (ours are better).</p>

<p>It is a fine program and a marketable degree. One thing to keep in mind is that it will have a regional bias in terms of job placement. If you are willing to live/start your career in that region, you will be fine. If you want to go somewhere else, you will need to work a little harder.</p>

<p>According to the dept it’s a Top 5 program.</p>

<p>[Agricultural</a> & Applied Economics - UW-Madison](<a href=“http://www.aae.wisc.edu/students/prospective/grad/]Agricultural”>Graduate Program - Agricultural & Applied Economics)</p>

<p>A study of research production had them Top 10 but it’s getting dated</p>

<p>[The</a> Chronicle: Faculty Scholarly Productivity Index](<a href=“http://chronicle.com/stats/productivity/page.php?year=2007&primary=2&secondary=18&bycat=Go]The”>http://chronicle.com/stats/productivity/page.php?year=2007&primary=2&secondary=18&bycat=Go)</p>

<p>CALS used to publish placement data and has their own placement office which is a big plus. Can’t find a current placement report.</p>

<p>A major or minor in ag econ is a great option for students interested in a broad range of economic, business, and public policy areas. It can prepare you for food and agricultural businesses, which are a big part of the economy; international business & trade; finance (commodity futures trading, etc.); economic development; and, environmental & natural resource economics, in addition to straight forward agricultural economics. It’s makes a good combination with many areas (politics, business, traditional economics, consumer economics, geography/planning, development anthropology/rural sociology, international relations, etc.) also provides a good preparation for graduate study in public policy and law. I think a lot of students tend to overlook this field and would benefit if they took a good look at what it can offer.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone! I’m planning on studying this and straight economics if I do not get accepted into the Business School. The curriculum definitely interests me to a great extent.</p>

<p>Crown: Ag Econ is an excellent major. Don’t worry about what your fellow students think. UW has strong agricultural tradition as a land-grant university and its Ag Econ / Ag Bus. program is both well-regarded within the industry (Cargill, ADM, Monsanto, Hormel, etc) and by its peer land-grant institutions. I believe that there are 90 or so students currently enrolled in the Ag Econ / Ag Bus. program at Madison.</p>

<p>I am the CFO for a large Midwest agri-business and have my undergraduate degree in Ag Econ / Ag Bus. from Iowa State and a MBA in finance. The degree has solid job prospects as there is always good demand for bright, talented and motivated agri-business grads. As food and bio-fuel production continues to increase in importance, so will the benefits of an Ag Econ degree.</p>

<p>I couldn’t agree with Zapfino more. Many good comments on his post. It’s certainly a very underrated major.</p>

<p>Our son is a jr. at Madison and loves being a Badger. Best of luck on your decision.</p>