Airline policies on seating for plus sized customers- your thoughts?

There are airlines that do not let you take those seats if you booked your flight together.

2 Likes

So, it was your expectation that “the bimbo” couldn’t get up to go the bathroom, the entire flight, yet you and husband took the window amd aisle seats?

4 Likes

No clue what airline doesn’t let you book your desired seats. Never been a problem and that’s how we prefer to fly. As long as we have been married, no problem sitting apart for several hours :slight_smile:

1 Like

No that was not my expectation at all. She’d simply have to step in front of me to get to the can. She made a point, after I apologically explained why I couldn’t stand up when she went to her seat, and after she and her other blonde pals put their large hatboxes in the overhead, that she would probably have to get up multiple times. She was clearly wanting me to move my seat so she could have my aisle seat but I could not get out of my seat. So sorry. Thats the seat I booked. And I truly, without help from the flight attendant and the walker that was stowed, could not get up. Her tone doesn’t come across well here, but she wasn’t exactly understanding when it came to our injuries. And I chose that word as a reference to her bleached hair color :slight_smile:

I am amazed that you decided to share this story in this thread.

4 Likes

My parents used to book the same way for long flights. My mom liked to sleep against the window and my Dad liked the aisle. They said they had several people offer to switch so they could sit together. My mom was like “oh no! We’ve spent over 50 years together. We can handle a little separation for 8 hours.” They never had any problems booking it that way. But now, she prefers the aisle too, so they just both book aisles side by side.

3 Likes

Exactly. And taking 2 aisle seats across from each other is, IMO, just as reasonable if that is one’s preference.

2 Likes

It came up in reference to people being/not being understanding on flights. There have been long conversations elsewhere abut seating assignments/choices. Just as there is no right/wrong answer about the armrest, there is no right/wrong answer about seat preferences.

We also book aisle/window. If a large person is in the middle seat, my wife will usually offer to move to the middle from her window. That way she can lean into me if necessary.

1 Like

Exactly. And my husband would do the same.

1 Like

What airline? We book this way often
and on a variety of airlines. And have never had an issue.

2 Likes

I have not had one problem on any flight in my lifetime. But from what I’ve read here on this entire thread, I’m very thankful that I don’t fly as often as I once did.

4 Likes

This wasn’t a “problem”. She was the insensitive one and it was a non issue, especially since she moved (thankfully). The only time I had a “problem” was on a SWA flight when I made the mistake of choosing a window seat, and the person who sat in the middle was large, pulled down his tray table and put his head down on his hands with his elbows sticking out into my lap and the woman in the aisle seat. He was dirty, smelly and had disgustingly dirty hair down to his butt, which he threw on me when he put his head on the tray table. When he turned his head one time I offered him a hairband. He took it, put his hair in a long ponytail, and threw it on me when he put his head back on the tray table. That is 4 hours of my life I will never get back.

2 Likes

I think a perfectly acceptable solution would have been to purchase the middle seat so that both injured people wouldn’t have to move during the duration of the flight. That’s something that’s been suggested for overweight passengers. And would have solved the issue of someone having to move or step over an injured passenger.

I would have been nervous that the middle seat passenger would have tripped and fell on me.

13 Likes