Airline policies on seating for plus sized customers- your thoughts?

Interesting. Hadn’t looked into that. Was able to catch up on cc and email. Did not do more than look at the newspaper headlines in each section so as not to have to open the paper wide before folding it back into a manageable size.

1 Like

Not true. Amused myself with United’s puzzles just a week ago. Probably airline dependent.

1 Like

Two flights ago, #1. He had the aisle and middle, I had window. He was quite apologetic about how hard it was to get out past him. I made a point of saying I had bargained for that in choosing a window and that I was grateful it was only 1 person, not 2. He had enough challenges traveling - I didn’t need to be another one!

6 Likes

How long ago was that? Given social media today, someone could take a photo, post it to social media to call out the safety violation, and and identify the flight # and date.

1 Like

More legroom in exit row? Change may be on the way:
RECARO Aircraft Seating Unveils New Seating Solution To Increase Cabin Efficiency On Airbus Aircraft - RECARO Aircraft Seating (recaro-as.com)

1 Like

Delta has no magazines. Haven’t seen them since Feb 2020

1 Like

To answer above question, there was a large woman in the aisle seat across from me. The woman next to her was VERY slim. So I guess they worked it out. I asked my DH after the flight if he was also elbowed a lot. He was. But like me, he didn’t say anything to the guy. When the gentleman was putting his laptop away he almost elbowed me in the face. I had to put my hand up to prevent it.

I didn’t fly between March 2020 and Jan 2022, but pretty sure United brought them back early 2022. It isn’t surprising to me, though, that some airlines decided that they weren’t missed enough or worth the trouble.

I am bothered by the frequent calling out of “plus sized” (using the language in the title) in this thread. Maybe I should just walk away! I get the topic of the thread initially but feel it has sort of made plus size people feel targeted in an unpleasant way.

Maybe the conversation sticks to the idea of seating policy for people needing extra room (tall people, people with health issues, people with a toddler, etc.) instead of roll call of the size and weight of people on a plane.

9 Likes

Yes, on a flight yesterday.

Stigmatizing people due to their weight is sadly nothing new. I’m not “plus sized” or “oversized” or “large” but it’s a constant battle against genetics to stay that way and I do so for health reasons, not because I might spill over into someone else’s seat, depriving them of what they paid for. Are you small enough to sit comfortably in an airplane seat thanks to your genetics? If so, how about some compassion for the people who aren’t similarly blessed.

6 Likes

Just brought it back to topic because someone seemed to want to redirect it back as we were meandering about, talking about a variety of flight/ seating issues. :woman_shrugging:

With all due respect to plus-sized airline passengers and the members posting above, I do not believe that “genetics” alone is to blame for 42% of the US (and growing) being obese.

A lack of commitment to proper diet and exercise is at least part of the problem. Maybe a big part of the problem.

5 Likes

I know nutrition/exercise is your thing (and I appreciate your point of view and knowledge so Much of the time!) I think a discussion of it should be it’s own thread.

2 Likes

My apologies. I should stay in my lane. :laughing:

It’s a tricky topic. I can say I’ve had minor impact from plus sized row companions (not a big deal since I can lean toward my own plus-ish sized spouse) and witnessed impact to others. Can’t recall any grief due to height to adjacent passenger. It’s a different genetic thing than say color of skin or hair which has zero impact on the neighboring passenger. But everybody deserves to travel, so too bad it can be such a challenge sometimes.

2 Likes

I used to travel a lot for work. I have had just about every kind of seat companion. 95% of the time I can maintain my travel zone mode and be pleasant to everyone and realize that we all are fighting our own battles. If things can be adjusted I try to ask nicely. If they can’t I try to ignore. I am on the brink between overweight and obese BMI but I fit easily into an airplane seat. Those who don’t are so overweight as to have many difficulties in life. I try to be gracious. But 5% of the time I just feel angry about any disturbance or invasion of “my” space. That’s when head phones and calming podcasts come into play. Meditation. Or even a glass of wine. We are all just trying to get there. Wherever “there” is. And no one (particularly in coach) is having a good time.

Edited to add: sometimes in the 5% situations I text my friends about what a miserable time I’m having. Maybe it helps a little.

3 Likes

I am travelling in Europe right now (Spain and Portugal). In Spain especially, it is astonishing how few overweight folks there were. Having been in grocery stores in many different cities now, it is evident to me that a huge part of the problem is with the food choices we have, especially with respect to the least expensive products. Produce here is a fraction of the cost we pay in the US. There are comparatively fewer processed food options. I am a compulsive label reader. The processed foods here are much less likely to have corn syrup or unnecessary sugar. The prevalence of neighborhood markets means that people are more likely to walk to buy their groceries. Then there are very few fast food places and no drive throughs. Basically, it’s easier to maintain a healthy weight here simply because folks don’t need to be as educated about nutrition; they just have so many fewer bad choices.

On an individual basis, we in the US do have comparatively more folks who have a genetic predisposition for being overweight. BUT, it is also evident that there is far more to our obesity situation than genetics or laziness–we must come to terms with the fact that much of the blame lies with the significant cultural differences we have regarding our food options, availability and affordability.

8 Likes

I sent a photo of my son and myself to his Syrian girlfriend. We were in a room full of people, most in their 20s. Her response was, “Everyone is so heavy!” :cry:

3 Likes

“plus sized” was used in the thread title because that is the terminology used in the CNN article referenced in the OP. CNN’s title was: ‘We’re paying twice for the same experience’: Plus-size travelers hit out at ‘discriminatory’ airline seat policies”

2 Likes