Airline policies on seating for plus sized customers- your thoughts?

Lack of exercise and a processed food diet do contribute to obesity but these are not the only factors causing people to battle weight. Not by a long shot. For many, it’s not as simple as putting down the Twinkie and picking up the dumbbells. There are genetic issues, medical condition issues, medication issues, age/menopause, etc. There are also many clinically obese people who eat healthy and work out regularly as there are many thin people who are sedentary and live on processed food and as a result, have health problems that observers wouldn’t know about because they look thin and fit.

Anyone who follows the singer, Lizzo, and has witnessed what she does on stage 5-6 nights week, 9+ months a year (as well as her plus-sized dancers) should be impressed by the physical workout she puts herself through, while singing. By all medical and scientific accounts, she should be rail thin. She eats healthy while on tour - lots of protein and works out daily off-stage, to get ready for her performances. Professional athletes would be hard-pressed to keep up with her on stage, while singing. She has to lock her social media on a regular basis to battle all the hate that comes through about her size. She responds by posting pics of herself in bikinis, workout wear and other outfits that plus-size haters don’t think she should be allowed to wear.

Also, this plus-sized yoga instructor Plus Size Yoga Instructor Jessamyn Stanley Showing The World That Body Weight Is Nothing More Than a Number (theawesomedaily.com)

who has appeared in many fitness product commercials. Good luck trying to get into those poses, no matter what your size. Of course she faces tons of backlash because haters don’t think her body should be associated with fitness. I read one article about her that said most of the haters could never begin to do what she does on a yoga mat. I highly doubt she is taking breaks from yoga and downing Big Macs and chocolate shakes.

5 Likes

I recognize that and said that in an earlier post. Nearly right away I also pointed out the idea that others (tall, medical needs, children) may need the extra accommodation as well.

Not dissing the title - after all, none of us wrote the article. It just started to feel like the thread was really taking on a negative attitude/stance towards overweight people in general and a focus on appearance, not just seat size.

I’m sure CCers come in all shapes and sizes and my comments come from a point of view of recognizing and sympathizing with how some may feel as a result of this thread.

5 Likes

I guess my question then is why is there so much more obesity now? I can think of only a handful of heavy kids in my high school class of 220. When I look at prom photos these days, usually the majority of the kids are heavy.

We’re definitely off topic so I’ll stop now.

3 Likes

It’s interesting that one would think it’s acceptable to post that photo of Chris Christie sleeping on the plane.

4 Likes

I’m not denying that there isn’t more obesity now - our reliance on processed foods and more people being on notoriously weight-gaining meds for things like depression, bi-polar, anxiety, etc., certainly contribute (so many more people being diagnosed and treated for these conditions now) - but my point is that those are not the only factors by a long shot, and making comments (not you specifically, but in general) about the problem being solved simply by putting down the bag of chips, shows not only a lack of compassion but also lack of knowledge of medical and psychological issues that are currently affecting many people.

Huffing and puffing, commenting or eyerolling while walking down the aisle (again, not directing to you specifically) about having to sit next to a plus sized person doesn’t do anything to fix the small seat problem, and only makes that person feel bad. As was mentioned upthread, there are MANY scenarios and factors that make flying uncomfortable.

9 Likes

I would agree with that. But I also recall being given Hostess Twinkies and Ding Dongs in my school lunch every day, so we ate a lot of junk back in the 70s. We were outside all the time, so maybe the physical activity made up for the poor diet. It was a constant effort to get my kids outdoors.

I struggle with weight, too. Now I’m about 10 pounds over a BMI of 25 (and I think in my case, BMI is a reasonable indicator). I’ve lost 27 pounds, though, so I’m proud of that. It takes a lot of hard work and perseverance. I have no medical issues so I know I’m fortunate.

9 Likes

Definitely a trend toward heavier people (or perhaps mostly Americans). It will be interesting if seat design changes. My guess is that it will stay same (or maybe get tighter) with more people needing upgrade.

1 Like

My son, whom I mentioned earlier in this thread, is flying to Norway this week for a strongman competition. He’ll be with a bunch of other strongmen on the same flight. Oh how I’d hate to be on that flight! :joy: I don’t know how he’ll fit comfortably on an international flight. I hope the plane isn’t full or they’re going to be pushing the weight limit.

6 Likes

I was transiting in Narita one time and there was a large group of sumo wrestlers in the transit lounge (wearing their kimonos and hair stylized, so no mistaking them for just big guys). Couldn’t imagine sitting between 2 of them.

3 Likes

Oh my gosh, I can’t even… :joy:

My only point is that the prevalence of obesity among adults in the United States has been rising since the 1970s. Genes alone cannot possibly explain such a rapid rise. And it’s only getting worse. 50% of the world will be obese by 2035, so it’s not just a US problem.

More Than Half of the World Will Be Obese By 2035: Report | Time.

The CDC lists the major factors as diet and exercise, along with sleep.

Also, I’ve been in gyms nearly all my life in various capacities and what I have observed, there’s a lack of commitment to a proper diet and exercise. It’s easily observed when you see the “mad rush” to gyms in January (New Year’s Resolutions) and maybe even February, for the really “committed,” and then the gyms empty out from there on out.

1 Like

This thread is for discussion of the issues of airplane seating and people who are larger than average in any direction, not a discussion of obesity in the USA.

Please stay on track.

7 Likes

Of course genetics alone doesn’t explain the rise in obesity , but try as I might, all the diet and exercise in the world isn’t going to change my bone structure. My pelvis is always going to be the width it is. My shoulders are going to be a certain width. What is the width of the average coach airline seat? 17 inches? It’s snug for me. Unfortunately, I may inadvertently elbow someone or my elbow may not always fit within the confines of the armrest and I will sincerely apologize for that, but I sincerely believe most people don’t choose to be overweight for the purpose of annoying others on airplanes.

4 Likes

I’ll be perfectly honest here. If I weighed morbidly obese pounds, I would not even dream of flying. If there was an emergency and I had to, I’d ask to purchase two seats and be realistic.

2 Likes

Husband is 6’7. He flies coach. We are frugal when flying for pleasure. He flies on government dime with everyone else for business. He is considerate and sits up straight to avoid encroaching on others. It is tough out there for lots of people these days.

7 Likes

I asked my very tall husband about flying based on this thread. He did say that although he would prefer not to sit next to a very large person (weight), he has had it happen a couple times over the years. I asked him what happens when someone very large has sat next to him. He said, “I abide.”

I’m sure he and both very tall sons get looks when they board a plane!

2 Likes

I’ve never had to switch seats in my life. And I’ve always gotten along with everyone on all my flights.

To the best of my recollection, I haven’t sat next to a “plus-sized” passenger, but I would have absolutely no issue doing so. I just hope that any passenger that I sit beside on a flight is friendly and welcoming. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I actually did get moved by a flight attendant when my seatmate didn’t fit into a single seat. It was on a smaller plane (2 seats on each side) and the attendant just quietly said, “There’s an available seat two rows up if you would like to move.” I quietly gathered my things and moved. I like to think that both of us were more comfortable on the flight because I moved. In the story in the original post, the larger person was upset that the person next to them had moved. I wonder if there’s more to that story. Neither the flight attendant nor I said anything about why I was moving. I thought it was all handled very politely. But I’m not the other person.

6 Likes