Airline policies on seating for plus sized customers- your thoughts?

Not sure how to diplomatically put this, but the airlines know the dimensions, as small as they are, of their seats plus armrests. Maybe there is a way to say “if you measure more than xxx across we will require to purchase 2 seats for your comfort and the comfort of other passengers”. No clue how to word that without offending someone.

2 Likes

I’m 5’-9” tall but I have long legs. I almost never have room but I stay in my lane.

I really don’t think it’s fair for someone to lose part of their seat space because of a heavy neighbor.

13 Likes

Those seats are offered on some airlines, but usually bundled with extras and called “business class” or some such, so they tend to cost more than the proportional upcharge for the extra space used (which also typically includes more legroom).

2 Likes

Good luck getting bulkhead rows. Minors are not permitted in exit rows. S24 was closing in on 6’ by age 12. (Last time he was measured, he was just over 6’4".) We try to seat him next to shorter family members. That way fewer non-family members are inconvenienced. He does appreciate if the people seated in front of him do not recline their seats.

Sticking legs out into aisle is not a workable solution. The flight crew need to get up and down the aisle without tripping hazards.

1 Like

Great idea (as long as the larger seats are prioritized for those who need them, and not snared by some standard sized person who just wants so spread out a bit). Maybe if the seat isn’t taken at boarding time it can be up sold then.

There is a notation in the original article that, IIRC, Australia has a disability delineation for large people but I can’t recall how it’s accommodated on airplanes. Will go back and look.

When I book seats I commonly see exit row seats available. They are not my preference so I don’t pick them. Ditto with bulkhead seats. :woman_shrugging:
IIRC someone has to be 15 to sit in an exit row. As much as I dislike seeing people stick their legs in the aisle, it happens all the time.

1 Like

Here is a comparison chart of airline seat sizes for short haul economy:

Most short haul economy seats seem to be about 17" wide. There are some differences in seat pitch, with 30-31" being common, but 28-29" being present on some airlines.

1 Like

Do the dimensions include the width of the armrests?

Here are the regulations inn Canada and Australia :

The handicapped ramps and restrooms are in a different part of the code and must be built into the buildings even if no one ever needs an accommodation. The ADA does not require businesses to make more accommodations that will cost them extra money. For example, a hotel doesn’t have to upgrade to make ALL rooms accessible, or put beds in every room that would support 500 pounds, but a commercial code might require them to have a percentage of accessible rooms and the code does require them to have X number of handicapped parking spots per 100 parking spots in the lot. If accessible rooms aren’t available, the hotel doesn’t have to take more steps (such as upgrade the person to a suite) but can just say nothing is available. There is a section in the building codes that requires swimming pools at hotels to have lifts for handicapped people to get in and out of the pools. Disney does not have to make rides to accommodate 450 pound people or make every ride accessible to every person, even if they have an ADA qualifying disability.

Airplanes clearly don’t have handicapped bathrooms (or aisles that able bodied people can walk down!) or have to follow a lot of other ADA codes that restaurant or public building would.

Most planes (not SW) have these - business class! The group in the articles doesn’t want to pay for those but I’m sure would take them if offered for the same price. It doesn’t cost the doctor’s office more for the oversized seats (unless they have to turn away patients because there aren’t enough seats in the waiting room)

3 Likes

Airlines have run many experiments over the years where they offer more space in Economy for more money. And every time, the vast majority of consumers always choose the cheapest seat.

So yes, it is the fault of passengers.

1 Like

Most airlines have them: Economy Plus seats which have 3-5 inches of extra legroom (but not wider) and Premium Economy seats (only on newer widebody jets) which are wider and even more legroom (6-8 inches) and greater recline. Economy Plus seats typically cost $40-100 extra each segment and Premium Economy twice as much as regular Economy.

1 Like

That’s why Spirit and Frontier, even with much higher levels of consumer complaints, have done better financially than other airlines in the US. The same in Europe where low-cost airlines dominate in the intra-European market.

This double decker airline seating might solve several of the problems! The double-decker airplane seat is back. Here’s what it looks like now | CNN

1 Like

:laughing: Dog forbid someone’s butt will be hanging above my head! :laughing:

1 Like

OMG… solves the problem unless you are in the lower section and the ‘upper tier’ has had the burrito/garlic fry/nacho’s for lunch and now release the pressure at altitude.

Not to even mention the stinky feet issue.

No.Thank.you.

I travel often. This is a tough topic - even for the employees. No one wants to tell someone that they need to purchase seats.

People aren’t really buying a seat for their size. People are renting space and they need to fit or buy more space, no different than the carry on sizer all airlines put out to measure carryons.

But no customer wants to spend that much. Nor an employee say something to them.

I am fortunate to have status on SW the last ten years. The trick for me is an aisle. It gives me a place to get my legs.

I see both sides. If people need an extra seat they should get it, but I would never approach them and suggest. That’s just hurtful.

I do always eye the petite people walking by and hope they’ll choose my row. That’s just hope.

As it is, no matter your size most coach seats are just not comfortable.

6 Likes

We flew recently and the exit row seats were…empty. We offered to sit there…and were told we couldn’t because there is now an up charge for exit row seats because of the extra leg room. Think this was United Airlines.

So…there was no one seated in the exit rows…at all. :woman_facepalming:t2:

We are sort of average size in this family. We really like the new plan configuration where the place for the literature is up high on the seat back in front of you…giving about 2 inches more knee leg room.

Re: width. I think this is dicey to handle.

I have been on smaller planes where they have had to rearrange the passengers due to balancing weight.

Top row for you!!! Just no burritos before boarding! :rofl: :rofl: Unless there are some serious air vents on the lower level to blow that air back up to the top tier.

I fly fairly often, and full flights are the norm, so strategies snagging empty seats are often hypotheticals. I inwardly groan if someone large is next to me. Or if children are seated near me. There is very little personal space, even in Economy Plus.

Personally, I feel that one is renting the space. If you want to use one space with a kid on your lap, buy one seat. If you want to keep your lap empty and fly witha kid, buy a second seat. If you can’t fit in one seat, buy two. I have had seatmates who have done that. And it entites them to the under-seat storage in the unoccupied seat as well as the tray table on that seat if they want it.

It’s awkward for everyone, and I am quite sympathetic to larger passengers. We do not live in a culture or society that makes it easy to be a person of size. With that said, there are a lot of reasons why many of us struggle in one seat, whether height, sciatica, claustrophobia, etc. It seems to me that clear rules would be helpful.

6 Likes