Alabama 96th in Latest USNWR Rankings

@Gator88NE Thank you-- I neglected to read (anything!..no, ignored the 6yr title and discussion). Keeping you on your toes :wink:

Any idea on how many students start out in Nursing in total? At Bama Bound, it sounded like only 112 per semester (242 per year) pass from Lower to Upper division. It sounded like those who donā€™t move on transfer out to UAB mostly. Is it immaterial in the impact on grad rate or is that also already factored in?

It would impact the overall grad rate, as these students would show up as transfers. Itā€™s a common scenario, as students transfer out of UF for the same reasons (they canā€™t get into the upper division program they want).

When looking at the latest rankings, youā€™ll notice the large number of tiesā€¦

We have 4 schools ranked 82, then it drops to 3 skills ranked 86, then it jumps to 7 schools ranked 89, and then finally 3 schools (including UA) ranked 96. No schools are ranked 83 thru 85, 87, 88, 90 thru 95.

UA could just as easily been ranked 89, 86 or 82, simply based on the ā€œnoiseā€ you always find in this rankings. :-??

Now, lets get back to solving UAā€™s graduation rate challenge!!

The public school rankings have many ties as well.
Bama is #43 on that list.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/top-public/page+2

The plethora of ties makes the rankings less meaningful.

I am loosing all my Faith on these USNWR ratings. ( Public Schools)

UC Irvine is # 9,
UIUC is # 11
UT Austin is # 16

I will take UIUC and UTA over UCI any day. I went to UCI and attend few months as a Grad student.
All my classes were taught by temp professors and teaching was their secondary job.
I drop off after 1 semester or Quarter donā€™t even remember with all ā€œAsā€. I wasnā€™t learning anything which I didnā€™t knowā€¦

Students should use these ratings as the last Criteria, choose a School where your Heart is and do some research about that school if it fits into your scheme of plansā€¦

<<students should="" use="" these="" ratings="" as="" the="" last="" criteria,="" choose="" a="" school="" where="" your="" heart="" is="" and="" do="" some="" research="" about="" that="" if="" it="" fits="" into="" scheme="" of="" plansā€¦="">>

@dadfor2014 amen brother!

@Nerdyparent I am sure you mean ā€œRoll tideā€ā€¦

@dadfor2014 of course! Roll tide!!

I do think that students that are doing Co-op, that they donā€™t ā€˜countā€™ the semesters they are at their Co-op job.For example, nephew did two regular school terms and a summer term co-oping; he also did a summer internship; he did 5 academic years but graduated 6 years after starting college, in CS. I believe his statistic would count with 5 year and not 6 year.

What is a factor in 6 year graduation?

Grade failure?
Major switch?

Paul2752, I think the consensus here has been that the large percentage of lower scoring students is the main cause, as the grad rate for those in the Honors Program is very high. UA has acknowledged that it will have to more closely examine managing enrollment from now on, which might be code for raising admissions standards. It is already getting a large percentage of the top students, but needs to work on raising its lower percentile.

^^^ All of those, plus transfer out rates. A student that transfers out of the university, hurts itā€™s graduation rate. UA is at 24%.