Alabama Freshman Enrollment By State

<p>AAMiller…</p>

<p>The counts aren’t for the whole univ…they’re only for the FRESHMAN undergrads. Not sure how many undergrads there are…somewhere around 6,000.</p>

<p>I’m aware. There were about 26 in the freshman class that just enrolled going off of the percentage given above, and I recall seeing list that showed around 30 or so for the last class that went in. I don’t think it’s a stretch to assume that around 100 Kansans are currently attending UA as undergrads, like MaryJay60 conjectured above.</p>

<p>Right, but there aren’t 36,000 undergrads. That is the number for the entire univ…undergrads, grads, law school.</p>

<p>Anyway…during WOW week, there is an OOS party where you can meet your fellow Kansans.</p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>30000, 36000, potatoes, potawtoes :stuck_out_tongue: I imagine that most students from Kansas are from the Kansas City Area, with maybe a few from the Wichita area. People out in the sticks like me usually wind up at K-State. Still, it’ll be nice to have some people to possibly carpool with to save money on plane tickets should the need ever arise.</p>

<p>I am from Delaware, one of the most underrepresented states. Fell in love with southern hospitality and deceiced to attend University of Alabama. Excited and nervous to meet all the other students. Roll Tide!</p>

<p>^^
Welcome!</p>

<p>Let’s hear it for the mighty Aloha State, tied for 27th! :)</p>

<p>Take that, Montana! ;)</p>

<p>The map was pretty interesting but I’d like to see another version factoring in the size of states … if I have a big need to procrastinate tonight I might take a crack at it</p>

<p>*I don’t know a single OU student from Texas not in the honors college who got into UT. *</p>

<p>That happens. The “percent rule” for UT excludes many highly qualified students, especially those who attend private schools or “very good” publics.</p>

<p>Bama will happily enroll those kids with 3.8 GPAs and 32+ ACTs :)</p>

<p>I think a lot of students and prospective students share a similar story. We began our college search with price in mind. We discovered UA’s scholarships and began to look into the school, even though we had few ties and little interest. As we began to discover the great programs that UA has, scholarships became less of a factor and we genuinely began to love UA, quirks and all. </p>

<p>This is just my story, but it seems that a lot of people here share it. UA combined cheap education with a wonderful school, and the OOS representations simply reflect that.</p>

<p>[ quote ]
Of the Californians I’ve known who went to Alabama (3) only one was qualified to get a merit scholarship. The others didn’t have any chance of getting into all but the lowest UCs.
[ /quote ]</p>

<p>Sorry but I can’t let this one pass, assuming 6,000 freshman undergraduates Fall 2013, 3% Californians (actually 3.2% but I’ll round down to be generous) would be 180 kids in that year alone. You are basing your opinion on 3 students you happen to know who may be totally unrepresentative.</p>

<p>Those percentages are pretty much how the spread was among girls going through sorority recruitment. Compared to last year…pretty much the same last year, except there seemed to be WAY more from Tennessee than Florida. </p>

<p>What I find interesting is Auburn’s percentage. They have MORE OOS, but a much, much lower OOS percentage signing up for sorority recruitment. Of course, the Georgia kids kind of consider AU an instate school. AU used to waive OOS tuition for kids from certain Georgia counties conjoining the state line. Don’t know if they still do that, though.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>I agree.</p>

<p>That said, the truth is that many, many OOS students are full pay. Most of them are full or near full pay…or at least pay more than an instate student pays. That’s ok. It doesn’t mean that they’re not great kids. An ACT 27-28 OOS student doesn’t get much from merit. S/he may not get into the top UCs. That doesn’t mean he’s a loser student. lol</p>

<p>Bama will happily take many of those ACT 26-28 students out there who’ll pay most/all of the costs. Those kids are in the 85th percentile of higher. Those are kids that likely will be quite successful in life. </p>

<p>At a Family Weekend a few years ago, I met a group of 10 families who were from the same Calif high school. I don’t think any of their kids got much/any merit. They were good students, but below the “big money” test scores. They chose Bama because they were shut out of UCLA and Cal, and wanted a big football school…the whole college experience. They flew out for a group visit their senior year and then all enrolled.</p>

<p>Thanks for the clarification mom2collegekids. I don’t have an interest in this since my son has the Presidential Scholarship offer, but I felt it was unfairly dismissive of California kids to imply that most of the ones coming to Alabama “didn’t have any chance of getting into all but the lowest UCs.” As you mention, you can have good grades and still be rejected by UC, especially with the holistic admissions process. One of the things my son really liked about the UA admissions was the clear conditions of the scholarships.</p>

<p>The students that I know from CA (2) both got merit aid. They went there because it was much cheaper then UC.</p>

<p>*I find interesting is Auburn’s percentage. They have MORE OOS, but a much, much lower OOS percentage signing up for sorority recruitment. *</p>

<p>???</p>

<p>How do they have more OOS? They only have 37% OOS.</p>

<p>We live in the north Dallas area and our kids attend a very large and academically strong public school. I went to Texas A&M, and it has been my son’s lifelong dream to do the same. He received word of his admission to A&M this fall, and we basically thought it was a done deal. After finding out about the merit scholarships offered by Alabama, though, I strongly urged him to apply there just to see what would happen. Based on his grades and ACT score, he was offered UA’s Presidential Scholarship, which obviously got his attention. He just got back from an official campus visit at Alabama and absolutely loved it. Now A&M and Alabama are neck and neck, and I don’t know what will happen. The only thing I’m sure of is that he’ll end up at a great school either way.</p>

<p>Welcome!</p>

<p>Please post on our Roll Call thread.
<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1538248-class-18-roll-call-whos-applied-whos-been-accepted.html?highlight=roll+call[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1538248-class-18-roll-call-whos-applied-whos-been-accepted.html?highlight=roll+call&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>tstep, this years freshmen class at UA has over 200+ from the Dallas area. </p>

<p>Best of luck to your son in making this decision.</p>

<p>he might have a hard time choosing when it comes down to it.</p>

<p>what will he major in?</p>