Alabama Freshman Enrollment By State

<p><a href=“http://cw.ua.edu/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/FreshmenEnrollment.jpg[/url]”>http://cw.ua.edu/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/FreshmenEnrollment.jpg</a></p>

<p>The Eyes of Texas are on Alabama.
Nice!</p>

<p>California % surprised me bit, not sure why.</p>

<p>Comes down to $$$. California schools are too expensive. Same reason more Texas top
stats kids are heading OOS, the money offered. Why go to Texas Tech or A&M with a $20k scholarship when you can go to places like Alabama, Arkansas, OU, etc that are offering you basically a full ride scholarship.</p>

<p>No. The Texans who go to OU by and large couldn’t get into UT or A&M so they pay an OOS surcharge to get the big D1 college experience. Of the Californians I’ve known who went to Alabama (3) only one was qualified to get a merit scholarship. The others didn’t have any chance of getting into all but the lowest UCs.</p>

<p>Disagree about the TX students not being able to get into UT or A&M. Lots of kids here want to go OOS - to them UT and A&M are just ‘local’ schools. Many with automatic acceptance don’t even apply. </p>

<p>OU also has a huge alumni population in TX, so naturally they want to send their children to their alma mater</p>

<p>The Texas kids I know going out of state are in the top 10. They more than qualify for UT, A&M, etc. it’s when those same kids that are high stats get offered a measly $20k vs a full ride from OOS that they run OOS and pass up the Tx schools. </p>

<p>Then my own reasoning, the top 10 rule is watering down Texas schools.</p>

<p>The reason that California may be such a large percentage is because it is such a populous state.</p>

<p>I don’t know a single OU student from Texas not in the honors college who got into UT. OU functions much as Oregon does for Californians. It provides the DI college experience to Texans who can’t get into their big state flagships. Yes OU offers merit scholarships, but the bulk of OOS students enrolled do not qualify. I suspect Alabama functions in much the same way although probably with a greater minority of the OOS qualifying for some merit.</p>

<p>Why does it matter why kids choose Alabama? Or OU? I simply thought the map was interesting.</p>

<p>BTW my daughter, who will be a freshman next fall on a Presidential scholarship, IS one of the kids w/automatic acceptance who chose not to even apply at the Texas ‘flagships’. She has spent a lot of time at UT during some extra curricular activities, and I can tell you it was at the very bottom of her list. </p>

<p>To each their own, and Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Carcode, my D was an auto admit who also didn’t even apply to a Texas school. That said, there are some very good students who don’t get into UT or A&M and usually do choose another state flagship over Tech or Baylor (though a high number of kids from D’s HS go to Baylor). </p>

<p>It is an interesting map. The states with higher numbers we see on it are also represented well on CC.</p>

<p>What would be really interesting and informative would be percentages from states based on number of all college-bound freshmen from each state.</p>

<p>The linked map really tells us nothing.</p>

<p>Of course, West Virginia and Idaho are going to show very small percentages.
The (college bound) populations of both states are very small.</p>

<p>60% OOS</p>

<p>Ranking of other states that send kids to Bama</p>

<p>1) GA…8.3%
2) TX…5.7%
3) FL…5.5%
4) Tenn…4.9%
5) CA…3.2%
6) IL…3.0%
7) NC…2.5%
8) VA…2.2%
9) PA…2.0%
10) NJ…1.7%
11) NY…1.6%</p>

<p>A measly four tenths of a percent from Kansas. Hm, I wonder if I could even meet some other students from Kansas if I tried…</p>

<p>whenhen, no.</p>

<p>mine is another kid who got into a&m (not interested in ut) and went to alabama. there are many different reasons that students choose one school over another, and it isn’t always that they didn’t get in to other desirable schools.</p>

<p>@aamiller
That is probably 26 in the current freshman class. About 100 overall, if the percentages are similar year-to-year.</p>

<p>My D was a Tx auto admit as well. No interest. Only Tx school she even ventured to apply to was Baylor. Which, btw, offered her a very nice scholarship. She had no interest in attending any state schools in Tx. Her friends from Tx that are at Alabama include one Valedictorian, a few National Merits, a full IB top of the class student, a smattering of high acheivers from some of the highest ranked privates in the area. Not exactly a shabby bunch that could have attended their top picks. Just so happens their top pick ended up being Bama. </p>

<p>As for the Tx students heading to OU w/o merit aid, that is more than likely due to the huge presence of Okla natives and many OU grads whose kids have a connection to OU.</p>

<p>We are from North Texas
My Son got into Texas A&M Engineering, Honors.
Minnesota, Honors.
Colorado school of mines.</p>

<p>Still to hear from
SMU
Georgia Tech
George Mason
Utah</p>

<p>My son was pursued by all the military academies and Ivy</p>

<p>From the very first College fair he attended in 9th grade the University of Alabama went to the head of the list ( tied with A&M). Once we met and spoke with the local Academic Rep Heather. Heather was such a outstanding representative of all that can be found at Alabama.
We visited five schools last spring and after visiting the campus of Alabama it stayed at the top. Soon to over take A&M, once he was able to go visit the sport team he will have the honor of being part of at The University of Alabama next year.</p>

<p>While my son was growing up, I always thought that when the time came for him to get ready to leave for college I would be a total wreck. I am at complete ease as a mother knowing that the he is in good hands.
My son has chosen the University of Alabama for at least the next five years. He is majoring in EE with a possible MBA in the stem program while also in honors and also representing Alabama as a student athlete.
ROLL TIDE!!</p>

<p>Congrats, TexasMom, and Roll Tide!</p>

<p>100 out of 36000? Challenge accepted.</p>