Alabama Mythbusters

<p>In the spirit of addressing all the dead-wrong stereotypes, irrational fears, and 3rd-hand falsehoods that many folks out there seem to carry about the State of Alabama and the University of Alabama, I am starting this thread as a centralized myth-busting clearing house. </p>

<p>So, if all the true experts out there wouldn’t mind pitching in, please share any and all myths you’ve heard about Alabama, followed by the truth/reality.</p>

<p>I’ll kick it off. M2CK was my original myth buster. I feared that my left-leaning son couldn’t possibly thrive in red-state Alabama, where outsiders, especially liberal ones, would not be tolerated (if not lynched!). She convinced me otherwise and was absolutely right. </p>

<p>He has had no problem finding birds of a feather and has learned that intolerance can be found on both sides of the political spectrum. He is a better balanced, more informed person for having gotten out of his comfort zone and living in Alabama the past two years, the result of what I call the invaluable hidden curriculum that is part and parcel of the UA experience.</p>

<p>Myth…all the students speak with a southern accent at Bama. </p>

<p>Busted…Frankly, not many of even the Alabama city kids speak with a southern accent. The influence of television has eliminated a lot of that. Yes, some kids from the more rural parts will have southern accents, but many/most students don’t. </p>

<p>Myth…since the south is poor, the students must be poor.</p>

<p>Busted…Bama students are largely middle class with some wealthy and some poor. But, overall, the student body is middle/upper middle class.</p>

<p>Myth…the profs are all from the south.</p>

<p>Busted…the profs are from universities from all over the country. The UCs, the ivies, NYU, UMich, UVA, etc, etc.</p>

<p>Myth: 'Bama is a football factory with little regard for academic priorities.</p>

<p>Busted: Through the visionary leadership of Dr. Witt, 'Bama football (which is entirely self-sufficient and supports all men’s and women’s sports at UA), funds the National Merit Finalist scholarship packages at UA, to the tune of millions of dollars. </p>

<p>'Bama Football: Benefactors to top scholars nationwide.</p>

<p>Well DANG, I was hoping that the title of this thread meant that Jamie and Adam were going to be doing a show on campus…such disappointment!</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Including MIT, Stanford, University of Texas (Austin), Duke, etc., etc.</p>

<p>Not meaning to be the Lone Ranger, but here’s another one.</p>

<p>Myth: Greek life is such a huge component of the UA culture that unless you’re in a fraternity or sorority you can kiss your social life goodbye.</p>

<p>Busted: THE VAST MAJORITY OF THE 30,000 STUDENTS AT UA ARE NOT GREEK. And they’re doing just fine, thank you. There is so much recreational, social, club, service, spiritual, professional, avocational, and other opportunity available at UA that there is something (and someone) for everyone.</p>

<p>When I first told people my S was going to Bama here is what I heard:</p>

<p>“The accents are sooo thick, you’re not going to understand a single word anyone says!”
Nope- while there are a few with a small southern drawl, most people we met had no accent what so ever. (I’m still trying to figure out “all y’all”- I thought “y’all” was plural?)</p>

<p>“You’re son is going to marry a southern belle and you will never see your grandchildren!”
First of all I had to explain that Alabama is in the Southern portion of the United States- not the South of France or South Africa.
And the thought of my son getting married to a beautiful, well educated southern girl? Well let’s just say I’m not losing any sleep on that one.
And lastly, Not see my grandchildren?? For realz???</p>

<p>And or course the easiest question…
“Is that the best school he could get into?”
ABSOLUTELY!!!</p>

<p>Now I’m hearing:
“You’re son talks to all his teachers?”
Yes
“You mean the teachers know him? By name?”
Yes
“And he has classes with less than 20 students?”
Yes
“How do I arrange a visit??”
I have had people stop me in grocery stores and e:mail me questions from as far away as Virginia-all wanting to know if what they’ve heard is true.- No problem! I love nothing more than talking about Bama! The secret is out.
My S is finishing up his freshman year this week and I’m still pinching myself!!</p>

<p>Y’all is 2 or three</p>

<p>All Y’all is four or more. </p>

<p>Boy howdy, the things people don’t know. lol</p>

<p>Does their truly exist a claim that all the professors are from the south? I thought it was quite common knowledge that professors often receive their education at schools different than where they are employed. The professors are often from around the United States and even international institutions. The academic industry actually has a name for this phenomenon – the Ph.D. Glut.</p>

<p>Malanai, </p>

<p>Thanks a bunch for starting this thread. The only correction I want to make is to point out that the Nat. Merit Scholarships are funded not just by Bama’s great athletics, but also by the most generous alumni in the nation! We love our school very much. And we love you, Momw2collegekids, and the other great parents here who have shown such gratitude. Thanks!</p>

<p>Myth: A large public university means classes so huge YOU WON’T EVEN BE ABLE TO HEAR THE PROFESSOR.</p>

<p>Truth: In two semesters, I’ve only had one class larger than about 40 people, and I’ve had many a lot smaller (although this definitely depends on your major).</p>

<p>Myth: The summer heat in Tuscaloosa is unbearably humid.
Reality: Most students are not in Tuscaloosa for the hottest months. Even then, the humidity does not take much time to get used to. There are sudden rainstorms in the summer, so bring your houndstooth rubber boots!</p>

<p>Myth: The University of Alabama worships former football coach and athletic director Paul W. “Bear” Bryant.
Reality: The Bear taught us how to succeed with class no matter what obstacles we may face. Honor and respect are very important at Alabama and many people will quote Bear Bryant when the opportunity presents itself. While we do have a Bear Bryant Museum, the Bear specifically requested that the museum honor all aspects of Alabama’s football program.</p>

<p>Myth: As it is a large school, professors and administrators at UA are unapproachable.
Reality: Professors are generally very welcoming and willing to talk to students. Top administrators have an open door policy, but request that you schedule an appointment to make sure that they will be in their offices. </p>

<p>Myth: Students at Alabama drink, smoke, and party all the time to the detriment of their studies.
Reality: Students with a “party hard, hardly work” philosophy don’t stay long at UA. In addition, many students choose not to smoke/drink/party and instead pursue other activities. There is something at UA for everyone.</p>

<p>Myth: Top students go to Auburn instead of Alabama.
Reality: Especially with its better merit scholarships, UA attracts more top students and spends a lot of money to invest in facilities for all students to live, learn, and play.</p>

<p>Myth: Top students only go to Alabama because they get merit scholarships.
Reality: While there are likely some students who attend Alabama solely because of money, the merit scholarships play more of a role in getting students to first look at UA. Once students visit campus, they often find that they would want to attend UA even if they didn’t get a big merit scholarship. As it stands now, most OOS students do not have merit scholarships.</p>

<p>Myth: Public universities like Alabama charge a lot extra for course fees and other amenities.
Reality: While UA does charge some course fees, the amount is relatively small. Access to the Student Recreation Center, Outdoor Pool Complex, and academic tutoring is included in the cost of tuition.</p>

<p>Myth: As an honors student, I will be required to be very involved in the Honors College and won’t get to experience the rest of the University.
Reality: The Honors College is very flexible in its requirements and students are as active in the Honors College as they wish to be. In addition, the Honors College is only a small part of the UA experience. In fact, students are encouraged to step outside of any “honors bubble” and meet people and do things in other parts of the University. View the Honors College as more as a facilitating organization rather than as a lock-step program.</p>

<p>Myth: Honors College students are all nerdy GDIs.
Reality: There are many different types of people in the Honors College, some of whom are members of Greek organizations, many of whom are not. There is no specific type of honors student at UA.</p>

<p>Myth: The University of Alabama is perfect.
Reality: The University is by no means perfect. While it does have its issues, it has a lot less than most schools. We work together as a family to solve these issues, but recognize that solutions are not always easily found or implemented.</p>

<p>You rock, SEA_tide. And thanks for pointing out the generosity of alumni, Atlanta68. I didn’t mean to imply that the scholarships were solely funded by football/athletics.</p>

<p>Myth: My classes will all be a breeze because I got good grades in high school without trying/I have high stats/I got into more competitive schools than UA.
Reality: Most classes at UA are challenging, and you definitely should not assume that you are over-qualified for any of them.</p>

<p>Myth: Profs don’t really care about the students or want to help them.
Reality: I am literally obsessed with almost all of my profs. They are some of the most intelligent, caring individuals and probably my favorite thing about UA.</p>

<p>Great stuff, reginaphalange and Yorba2Bama. Thank you for contributing.</p>

<p>MYTH : Your degree from Alabama will limit your job and intern prospects to Alabama and close States.
Reality: False!! (Or as Jamie snd Adam would say BUSTED!!) Alabama graduates work at companies all over the United States and the world in top executive jobs and for many fortune 500 companies.</p>

<p>MYTH: everyone at Alabama is nice and polite.
REALITY: Confirmed!! My son was in awe of the kindness and polite behavior of all of those he met at Alabama.</p>

<p>Myth: Schools with big Div I football like Bama are just party schools.</p>

<p>Busted: Frankly, all residential colleges with kids ages 18-22 are going to have parties. (My Tufts nephew swears that MIT has the best parties). Yes, there will be kids that party, but those who go overboard won’t last long. </p>

<p>Myth: I don’t like football so I wouldn’t want to go to Alabama.</p>

<p>Busted: Many kids never go to any football games. That is fine. That said, even those who don’t really like the game or understand it, often enjoy attending a few home games for simply the pure pageantry…the band, the songs, the baton twirlers, the dancers, the videos, the food on the Quad, the traditions, etc. And there are some kids who never thought they’d like football who end up becoming devoted fans (like my S1). </p>

<p>Myth: My stats are too high for Alabama. I’m going to major in (engineering, math, chem, business, English, French, The Classics, etc). The classes must be dumbed down to accomodate those with stats in the lower half of the school.</p>

<p>Busted: Unless you’re choosing a less academically challenging major, you will be challenged and many of your classmates will have strong stats as well. Students with strong stats are largely concentrated in the more challenging majors. That said, there are majors that are very right-brained (Fine Arts, theatre, etc), and test scores aren’t adequately measuring their talents.</p>

<p>Myth: At southern schools you must dress preppie. </p>

<p>Busted: Kids at southern schools are often well groomed (bathed, combed hair, and clean clothes), but their style of dress can range from preppie to very casual (shorts, T shirt, flip flops).</p>

<p>From CrimsonmomNC</p>

<p>Myth : Anyone can get into Alabama*</p>

<p>Busted: <em>Bama is now receiving about 24,000 freshman apps each year, but it can only accept about half. * Bama has about 600 National Scholars on campus and the upper quartile has an ACT of 30+. * Yes, because Bama is a state school, it knows that its mission is to educate Alabama students and some coming from the more rural parts of the state with inadequate K-12 education will not have the best scores. *Bama is committed to educating those kids as well. *</em></p>

<p>So I’m reading through this thread, right. Realizing that most of you are OOS, OOR (out of region). I’m enjoying your exuberance and all the positive things you have to say about The University of Alabama. One question. Do I need to send my son to a language school in the midwest for a year before he enrolls at my alma mater?</p>

<p>Crimsondude wrote: So I’m reading through this thread, right. Realizing that most of you are OOS, OOR (out of region). I’m enjoying your exuberance and all the positive things you have to say about The University of Alabama. One question. Do I need to send my son to a language school in the midwest for a year before he enrolls at my alma mater?</p>

<p>Please don’t! My Chicago area son and I LOVE Southern accents. I have to say that I wanted to hear more when we visited. Aside from Mr. Jim Oakley (whom I adore) in the Communications Department, I didn’t hear enough of the charming Southern accent. My hope is that my son will start saying “y’all” instead of “you guys” once he is living in the fine state of Alabama. </p>

<p>Roll Tide!</p>