Alabama's Best Sandwich?

<p>[National</a> Sandwich Day: Best Sandwich By State - Business Insider](<a href=“http://www.businessinsider.com/national-sandwich-day-best-sandwich-by-state-2013-11#alabama-a-chicken-sandwich-topped-with-alabamas-specialty-white-barbecue-sauce-the-delicious-sauce-is-creamy-and-tangy-made-with-mayonnaise-vinegar-salt-and-ground-black-pepper-1]National”>http://www.businessinsider.com/national-sandwich-day-best-sandwich-by-state-2013-11#alabama-a-chicken-sandwich-topped-with-alabamas-specialty-white-barbecue-sauce-the-delicious-sauce-is-creamy-and-tangy-made-with-mayonnaise-vinegar-salt-and-ground-black-pepper-1)</p>

<p>ALABAMA: A chicken sandwich topped with Alabama’s specialty white barbecue sauce. The delicious sauce is creamy and tangy, made with mayonnaise, vinegar, salt, and ground black pepper.</p>

<p>It looks great, but I’m not sure it’s the best Alabama has to offer. And I have never even seen it anywhere on any menu. Any place in Tuscaloosa to get one?</p>

<p>I spent my first 33 years in Alabama and I have never seen a sandwich that is anything like that!</p>

<p>Is that from Gibson’s BBQ? They have a white sauce.</p>

<p>Ingredients
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon prepared horseradish
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon sugar
Directions
Combine all ingredients in bowl and mix well.</p>

<p>Read more at: <a href=“http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/cda/recipe_print/0,1946,FOOD_9936_27428_RECIPE-PRINT-FULL-PAGE-FORMATTER,00.html?oc=linkback[/url]”>http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/cda/recipe_print/0,1946,FOOD_9936_27428_RECIPE-PRINT-FULL-PAGE-FORMATTER,00.html?oc=linkback&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>i think they have one kinda like that at newk’s.</p>

<p>Baumhowers has a white bbq sauce. They serve it with a chicken appetizer and together it is pretty darn good!</p>

<p>My Bama husband had never had white bbq sauce till then</p>

<p>I think it must be from Gibson’s. i forgot about their white BBQ sauce.</p>

<p>How is Louisiana NOT the muffaletta?! I mean, po’ boys are good and all, but they’re just a sub. Po’ Boy is just a regional name like Hoagie, Hero, Grinder, etc.</p>

<p>Illinois checking in-- never heard of a Horseshoe sandwich! Meat topped with fries?? How about an Itailan Beef from Al’s or Portillos.</p>

<p>The Illinois sandwich is from central Illinois. They have them all there over - must be a farmland boonies thing (just kidding, NormalMom!). </p>

<p>Some of them I was surprised at too - how did Carnegie Deli not make NY? </p>

<p>I’ve added the white BBQ sauce on my “to-eat” list in T-town.</p>

<p>I have had the white chicken sandwich – it is very good! I also make my own white BBQ sauce to have as a change from regular sauce. Another very good “Bama” sandwich is a fried green tomato BLT with fried green tomatoes, spicy mayo, thick cut bacon and leafy romaine lettuce. Or a plain tomato sandwich- slices of ripe tomato, salt/pepper, mayo and toasted white bread. Yummm!</p>

<p>Hoo’s BBQ has white sauce too</p>

<p>White BBQ sauce originated with Big Bob Gibson’s in Decatur. Until about 10 or 15 years ago, nobody ate it on anything except chicken. </p>

<p>Probably around the time Chris Lily married into the family, Gibson’s began to offer some variations on their half-century-old menu. Such as big salads topped with BBQ, humongous baked potatoes topped with BBQ…and the idea of white sauce for more than just chicken.
Maybe he got the idea from my daughter - she loves the white sauce on everything, including pizza!</p>

<p>Chris is the one who has really pushed Gibson’s into big publicity - competing in national competitions, writing books, getting national attention.</p>

<p>Frankly, the last few times I’ve eaten there, I’ve been very, very disappointed. The 'que is flavorless, which is a sign it’s been cooked too fast with no chance for the meat to absorb any smoke flavor. When they’re good, though, they can easily run everybody out of the ballpark.</p>

<p>I make my own white sauce, too, except mine is much simpler - mayo, vinegar, lemon juice, salt and loads of pepper. Supposedly it’s the original Gibson’s recipe.</p>

<p>Can ya’ll just hush now. Making me hungry and I still have 20 days before I’ll be back in Alabama.</p>

<p>Gonna need longer than 5 days to eat at all of the great places I want to.</p>

<p>I have not consumed one single carb since I left DD at BAMA in August.</p>

<p>Down 23 pounds.</p>

<p>Hot, but hungry.</p>

<p>good for you!</p>

<p>Yup. Good thing I am not near the Full Moon… I might be tempted by a pound of pulled pork ( with sauce, of course)</p>

<p>pulled pork doesn’t have carbs! :)</p>

<p>The sauce! The sauce!!!</p>

<p>Just give me the giant sampler platter from Full Moon, Jim n Nicks, Dreamland, and The Shed (in Biloxi and Gulf Shores). I’d be in hog heaven! And wash it all down with a big ol glass of sweet tea from Taco Casa.</p>