Am I on track for UC Davis, Irvine, SB, and SD?

hello, I can’t find other “average” descriptions like mine on here so I really don’t know what to expect for my future. I’m a female Asian sophomore looking to major in economics at UC Davis, Irvine, Santa Barbara, or San Diego(I’m in-state), but I’ve never been super outstanding at anything. I’d like to know what I should or shouldn’t do in order to get into these schools, regarding programs, positions, awards, etc. I still have some time left and I’d like to make the very most of it. any advice or criticism would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

(also, I’m still learning a lot about terms and things so please correct me if any of them are incorrect)

ACADEMICS:

• 1240 PSAT, aiming for a 1450 SAT next spring with ~300 hours studying
  • Class rank: 96th percentile in the only hs of my small city
  • Current GPA: 3.71 UW, 4.0 UC
  • Goal GPA: 3.87 UW, 4.32 UC (best case scenario by end of junior year)

Have always taken the most advanced classes available when APs/Honors weren’t
So Far: World, Math Analysis (Pre-Calc) Honors
Eventual: Calc AB & BC, Physics, Chem, USH, Eco/Gov, Lang, Lit, Comp Sci

• 2 years of Spanish, eventually 3

EXTRACIRRICULARS:

• 6 years year-round swim team
  • 2 years var swim (eventually 4) ; possibly team captain
  • 1 year jv and 1 year var water polo (eventually 3) ; possibly team captain
  • 2 years band class & club (eventually 4) ; officer position for 2 years and expected VP for senior year ; played a role in resolving conflicts with this year's new, inexperienced director, restoring our band culture and morale ; 2 years 2nd chair, hopefully eventually 2 years 1st chair ; eventual section leader
  • 2 years Interact (eventually 4), a community service club centered around student leadership ; officer position for 1 year (eventually 3)
  • 2 years Rocketry (eventually 4) ; team qualified for TARC Nationals in D.C. 1st year, this year's season cancelled due to COVID-19 ; am VP for next year and expected president for senior year

began coaching in the local age-group swim team this spring, but the rest of the season has been cancelled. expected to return and coach next season. hours are 2 hours every day after school, and 15+ hours a week during the summer.

teaching myself Python
I annotate The New Yorker/Scientific American articles for fun in my free time ;-; (this helps for the SAT, right?)

planning to begin collecting empty rice bags from my community and sewing them into reusable, durable bags for the local food bank to distribute food in. inspired from my Asian roots and my desire to serve my community while reducing waste. will eventually organize feminine product & makeup drives to donate to a women’s housing program my church sponsors, given in my bags. possibly establish a social media presence for the project and raise awareness for such topics through it.

I know this is an awfully meager list. I’m looking into CSUs and other, less selective California institutions, which might be more realistic for me. But I am super willing to work hard junior year to achieve those grades and test scores. I want to get into the best school I possibly can. thank you for reading and I hope you’re having a wonderful day :slight_smile:

You are doing great. Kee up your grades, increase your HS course rigor over the next few years, continue with the EC’s you enjoy and prep for the SAT.

The UC’s publish a Freshman profiles each year for admitted students, so check out the test scores and GPA ranges. Try to aim for at or above the 50th percentile for a decent chance at all these schools.

UC’s use 14 areas of criteria to review their applicants but GPA, test scores, HS course rigor and Personal insight essays are the most important.

https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/how-to-apply/applying-as-a-freshman/how-applications-are-reviewed.html

Also identify 2 safety schools (affordable, almost or guaranteed acceptance, you are willing to attend no matter what). Target and Reach schools are easy, Safety schools are the hardest to find.

Best of luck.

Some 2019 Freshman admission data:

2019 Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 3.40-3.79 capped weighted and not major specific:
UCB: 1%
UCLA: 2%
UCSD: 9%
UCSB: 6%
UCI: 7%
UCD: 9%
UCSC: 40%
UCR: 53%
UCM: 80%

2019 Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 3.80-4.19 capped weighted and not major specific:
UCB: 12%
UCLA: 7%
UCSD: 33%
UCSB: 32%
UCD: 47%
UCI: 35%
UCSC: 72%
UCR: 87%
UCM: 96%

2019 Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 4.20 or above capped weighted and not major specific:
UCB: 38%
UCLA: 35%
UCSD: 71%
UCSB: 73%
UCD: 84%
UCI: 55%
UCSC: 85%
UCR: 97%
UCM: 98%

2019 UC capped weighted GPA averages along with 25th-75th percentile range:
UCB: 4.23 (4.15-4.30)
UCLA: 4.25 (4.18-4.32)
UCSD: 4.16 (4.03-4.28)
UCSB: 4.16 (4.04-4.28)
UCI: 4.13 (4.00-4.25)
UCD: 4.13 (4.00-4.26)
UCSC: 3.96 (3.76-4.16)
UCR: 3.90 (3.69-4.11)
UCM: 3.73 (3.45-4.00)

2019 Data:
25th - 75th percentiles for SAT totals:
UCB: 1340-1540

UCLA: 1330-1550
UCSD: 1300-1520
UCSB: 1280-1520
UCD: 1230-1490
UCI: 1250-1510
UCSC: 1200-1450
UCR: 1130-1400
UCM: 1020-1290

Thank you so much Gumbymom for the stats, it’s very reassuring to see it all broken down!