Am I Reaching too Far?

I’m from New York City actually. Thank you for the suggestions I’ll be sure to check them out!

1 Like

And as for physics, it was not a particularly advanced class. Entry level.

Will you take Physics C? It’s one of the few HS classes that applies calculus.

1 Like

Is there a budget? Other preferences besides project-based programs? What’s your academic background?

As you are a resident of New York, I’d start my search with your in-state publics, as those are likely to be the most financially feasible.

• CUNY City College: About 12k undergrads and the main engineering option amongst CUNY schools. Investigate how hands-on it is; I honestly do not know. A full array of majors are available here.

• SUNY Polytechnic: About 2k undergrads. This school offers a full set of both engineering and engineering technology majors (along with some other fields), but is noticeably light on the humanities. But my understanding is that the classes are relatively small and very hands-on. For more info, you can check out: Help me find an affordable public uni? - #18 by Bill_Marsh

• U. at Buffalo: About 21k undergrads and, some would argue, the strongest engineering school of the SUNYs. I don’t know how much of it is hands-on focused (something to investigate), but there are many additional options outside of engineering, should you change your mind, including a major in Computational Physics.

One school that is out-of-state but that might not cost too much more than your in-state publics is:

• U. of Louisville (KY): About 16k undergrads here. This school’s engineering program has a definite reputation for being hands-on focused. It modeled itself after Cal Poly - San Luis Obispo (Cal Poly Pomona’s more selective relative). As a resident of the NYC metro area, you would qualify for between $12-16k in scholarships as well. As this is not a tech-focused school, there’s an array of other options should you decide that engineering is not for you.
3 Likes

I feel the need…for Speed :partying_face:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.