Math: 600
Writing: 680
Total: 1890</p>

<p>May 2011:</p>

<p>Reading: 590
Math: 680
Writing: 610
Total: 1880</p>

<p>The University of Wisconsin-Madison states that they consider the "Single Highest Test Date." I am applying as a computer science major so obviously my math score is most important. Will I be in a tight position because my math scores are so drastically different and because the lower one is in the highest test date? Will they even look at all scores when making a decision?</p>

<p>I was hoping to call this school a target, but this issue might make it a reach.</p>

<p>You are on borderline for last year. Next year is likely to be tougher. Choose you back-up school carefully. UW is likely a reach for you in 2012. See if you can improve SAT or take ACT and see how that is for you.</p>

<p>I got in with an 1880.</p>

<p>Your major doesn’t matter to admissions, therefore your math score is no more and no less important than your other scores. Both test dates are basically the same overall. Your scores illustrate why only one test date should be considered and not combining subscores from different dates. Then someone could go all out on one section or the other to maximize one subscore at the expense of another.</p>

<p>The answer to your question is clear and front and center on UW’s admissions website: </p>

<p>“We consider the highest composite score obtained in a single test administration as your ‘official’ score, although we will look at all scores reported in an effort to get a true sense of your achievement. Admitted students will typically score between 27–29 on the ACT and 1860–2090 on the SAT, though again, there is no minimum required score.”</p>

<p>You are both in range, and admissions staff will take into account your 680. So you’re good.</p>

<p>Huh, I wonder how I missed that.</p>

<p>Thank you!</p>