Ann Arbor Restaurants, Bars, Clubs, Coffee Shops

I am only a junior, and I remember wanting to quickly get out of Michigan, but as days go by, I keep getting drawn towards U of M more and moreee especially with the environment of AA.

That’s a fairly common progression goneaway. Ann Arbor grows on you, and before you know it, you can’t leave…just like Hotel California! :wink:

Cafe Zola is one of my favorite spots for brunch!

Wilma’s is a great cafe. Frida Batido’s has some great comfort food (fries and burgers). Amers is a good spot for a quick brunch!

I’m glad Blimpy’s is still around, even if in a new location. I miss Drakes (old style sandwich and candy shop) and Ian’s Patisserie that used to be across from the Real Seafood Company. @Artful4art, that might possibly be where you had the amazing croissants in the 80s. I never cared for Zingermans, but I don’t like delis in general.

We try to get back to Ann Arbor annually and have enjoyed good meals at several of the places mentioned here. A2 has always been a good food town. I like this thread and will refer to it for some suggestions before our next trip back.

Some restaurants in mind: Frita Batidos, BTB Burrito, Buffalo Wild Wings, Nagomi Sushi, Rich JC
Coffee shops: Espresso Royale, Lab, Teaspressa

Just got back from A2.

Right across from Central Campus, I’ll highly recommend the Pita Kabob Grill, just off the corner of S. State and E. William.

Shawarma sandwiches, falafel & mixed platters in a TINY and casual Mediterranean. Great hot lentil soup too. Big portions. They’re open late, as we attended a hockey game and ate dinner late.

Also, Tomukun, Korean/Asian fusion. Great pork buns, Pho and Bibimbap.

Been living there for some years now. These are within Ann Arbor city limits

My favorites:
Mani (Italian; pickle tomatoes and pizza)
Frita Batidos (Cuban; coconut milk, pulled pork, and the best snack ever)
Ricewood (BBQ brisket + rice)
Westside BBQ
Monahan’s Seafood Market (all seafood are fresh)
The Lunchroom (good vegan food)
RoosRoast Coffee (Lobster Butter Love coffee)
Songbird Cafe (cafe)
Sava’s (Italian; food is ok but they have good cocktails)

Others:
Gratzi (Italian; food is whatever but good desserts and drinks)
Zingerman’s (Sandwiches; overrated)
HopCat (well-known but overrated pub, the food is ok)
Grotto (a much better pub)
Blue lama jazz club (good jazz, decent drinks)

Asian;
Momo sushi
Poke fish
Lan city
Evergreen
Tomukun (the BBQ not the noodle bar)
**they are all very mediocre and expensive from an Asian standpoint, so good luck

Many of the restaurants closes on Monday, be sure to check if they open.

I agree. Cafe Zola is AMAZING! I DEFINITELY recommend trying it one day!

1 Like

@somuchworktodo , that list is great! As a sophomore here, I can agree with everything, especially those on the Asian list. My favorite is Sadako, though. This is a Japanese restaurant located on South University Avenue and it’s amazing!

@Alexandre , I completely agree – AA does grow on you the more you’re there. There are so many things to discover in the town and in its surrounding areas that it feels neverending!

I now get to visit the A2 as an alumnus, mostly on my company’s dime (for recruiting purposes), and it is always great to continue to find awesome spots, while visiting a lot of my time-proven favorites.

Are there any major changes to these recommendations post-Covid - wondering which made it, or what new spots might have opened? Thanks!

I think it was called Jacques? Maybe on North University? (The place with the chocolate croissants). And I’m pretty sure it’s been gone for many years.

Wondering the same thing. Looking to make some reservations during move in as restaurants are starting to take reservations.

If anyone has any suggestions, please post some nice places to go for dinner. My son likes steak. We know there is a Ruth’s Chris there, but we have that 2 mins from our house, so we can take a pass on that. Anything else that’s not a chain and not super casual, would be a great rec.

Any casual place for lunch, not Zingermans, also would be welcome.

Thanks!

1 Like

Alpha list updated from a mix of the above 2018 and 2019 CC mentioned favorites (can find more details in those prior comments) and some additional spots. Open daily unless otherwise noted. Two years later and all of these are still very well reviewed. Lots to try over the next four years…(and at least two non-Ruth Chris steak options close to campus).

Afternoon Delight (breakfast/lunch café) – closed Monday
Amadeus (Eastern European) – closed Monday
Aventura (tapas)
Bao Boys (food truck) – closed Sunday and Monday
Blimpy (burgers) - closed Monday
Blue llama (jazz club) – closed Sunday-Tuesday
Café Zola (bistro)
Chop House (steakhouse)
Detroit Street Filling Station (vegan)
Earle (Italian) – closed Monday
El Harissa Market Café (North African/Mediterranean) – closed Mondays
Frita Batidos (Cuban)