Annual “100+ admissions, millions in scholarships” articles - 2023

What happened to yield management ?

Many schools have a 95% (or higher) acceptance rate, knowing that the students who apply also apply to a ton of other schools too and can only go to one. This guy must be smart as he’s only 16 and finished hs in 2 years. Many are hoping he will pick them, and therefore accepted him, but knowing the odds are low so they accept all the other qualified students too.

I was being sarcastic.

We have no clue where he applied but last year’s similar person - I can’t remember the school but it was not a well known or reputed school that they chose.

Or auto merit schools that are literally trying to buy smart kids. Several come to mind.

1 Like

And the winner is………

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/05/us/dennis-barnes-college-decision-cornell-university/index.html

3 Likes

And doesn’t Cornell only give need based aid, not merit aid?

1 Like

Yes, Cornell is need based aid only.

No clue if he qualified for aid but clearly this is a bright young man and I wish him well. He’s way ahead academically of where I could ever imagine….ie I had a 2.8 and this brilliant student graduated 2 years early. Wow that’s IMPRESSIVE !!!

Just curious as to how many total schools he applied to and where he didn’t get in ……

I think it is beyond inappropriate to speculate without a shred of information that a young Black man most likely scored ‘way below’ other applicants to get into Cornell. Why wouldn’t the assumption be he had amazing stats and scores? What reason is there to speculate about that besides racism?

This thread has been a disappointment to me. Many don’t think he should have applied to as many schools as he did, fine. It wouldn’t have been my choice as well.

But to act as if he has “abused this system” is way over the top and smacks of the same kind of dog whistles that were employed to imply that Black people misused government resources (often erroneous stories, by the way - including the one about the welfare queen driving a Cadillac).

6 Likes

I wish him the best. The grouchy part of me understands the negative sentiments expressed here. We all want our kids to be have the best chance for success and don’t like seeing something that may hinder that.

But for all we know, he did have great scores. And even if he had a loving home life, perhaps it wasn’t one where education was pushed from birth. You must always study to get ahead in life. Maybe he had to fight the peer pressure from early childhood on to just hang out, play football. Why bother with school? It makes a difference.

And even if he had all of that… if his story inspires some kids who are in that situation to keep their chin up and keep plugging away at school, maybe it’s not all bad.

The guidance counselor saw something in his story to push him to do all of that. Even if many of them were a one button click, it still was a lot of work. Hopefully that drive will serve him well in his life.

I wish this bright young student all the success that college can bring. What a fine choice. Congratulations to him!

2 Likes

As do I. So let’s not.

2 Likes

And with a successful conclusion to this young man’s college search, I’m closing the thread so we don’t run into violations of ToS in discussing race in college admission.

1 Like