Any chance for admission

Application submitted a week ago.

Michigan resident
ACT 32
PSAT Letter of Commendation
AP Scholar

Unweighted GPA 3.16
Freshman year took Honors Pre-calculus
Sophomore year took AP Stats, AP Chem, and AP US History together, bad grades in these AP classes;
Junior year GPA 3.5+ while taking 2 APs, 3 IBs, and 1 regular Physics
Senior year taking 2AP, 3IBs, plus 1 regular Computer Science

Hospital volunteering: 3 hours/week, all year long, 10-12 grade
Chinese School volunteering: 2 hours/week, school year, 10-12 grade
Elementary 3/4 grade math tutoring: 2 hours/week, school year, 9-10 grade
Quiz Bowl Member, 10-12 grade
Track and field member, 9-12 grade

Really interested in going for pharmacy at UW Madison

Any helpful information would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Well the ACT 32 is great but as you know, the 3.16 GPA is low. Did you add an explanation about the grades or describe how you have an upward trend?

Also, if you don’t get into UW-Madison for undergrad, you can still apply to the School of Pharmacy later.

pharmacy.wisc.edu

Not in the essays submitted. Is there a way to submit additional information to explain?
Thanks again!

Improving grades do help but your junior year gpa is still weak, especially relative to your ACT score. UW may be concerned that you still don’t have the study habits needed to be successful at UW despite your native ability. Since there are so many other students wanting places it could be they get the spots because they have proven they know how to study. If you do not get in consider getting great grades elsewhere and transferring.

@Truepassion I actually have very similar stats to yours, 32 ACT though my UW GPA is a 3.48. I emailed UW admissions, and I was told that I can attach another essay talking about my low GPA relative to my ACT. I talked about improving study habits, engaging myself, stuff like that. I suggest you do the same.

@jpamsel It is so nice of you sharing this information! Will do.

Your GPA is a lot better and is in their acceptable range. Good luck!

@jpamsel - did you add this with your initial application, or was this added afterwards? My D has a similar situation, and there was no where to put this information. She submitted by the Nov 2 deadline for EA, but I believe they are still accepting materials. How do we add this?

I submitted this email right after I submitted my UW application. The instructions I were given were to include my name and date of birth, (so that they could connect my application with my additional essay) and to include the essay in the body of the email or attach a file.

I would email onwisconsin@admissions.wisc.edu just to confirm you could still submit such an essay. This is also the email that you would send the essay to. Let me know if you have any further questions. I could show you the chain of emails that I had with the On Wisconsin email address.

Wrote this post when I was getting out of bed, sorry if it’s a little incoherent^^

Thank you. I will have her send the email. Were they quick with their responses? My other D sent an email to admissions a couple of years ago to a different school, and received a response 1 month later…

@3mamagirls UW has always gotten back to me by the next day at the very latest. Good luck!